Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Blog Entries

LOL - OBY unsure if he'd let a son play football

OBY just took a page out of Goodell's hand book and said he's not sure
    if he let his son play football, if he had a son. Like Goodell he's worried
    about all the injuries especially concussions especially at the college level and the NCAA
    needs to do something about it. The NFL has unions to help the
    players. Thank goodness he doesn't have a son.

And he says that while saying he's a big fan. Typical double talk.

Well, I just glad my dad let me go out for my hi school team and even
    my college team as a walk-on.

OBY sounds just like the pussy Goodell. Four more years.

:grbac:

http://www.NFL.com/news/story/0ap100...-play-football
    Last edited by AirFlacco; 01-27-2013 at 08:07 PM.

Give it a rest already. He can parent however he sees fit
    Follow me on twitter at @dandrews66

Blog Entries

Re: LOL - OBY unsure if he'd let a son play football

Hey man, I'm not the one who wrote the article.

I'm just the messenger.

At the very least, OBY's not good for football (neither is Goodell) and this is a football board first and
    always.

Keep that idiot away from football. He's already destroyed the economy, we don't need him doing the same thing to the national pastime.
    "A moron, a rapist, and a Pittsburgh Steeler walk into a bar. He sits down and says, “Hi I’m Ben may I have a drink please?”
    ProFootballMock

So what?

My wife and I have had this discussion already as well. We're not sure if we will let our future son play football either.

Quote Originally Posted by darb72 View Post
    we don't need him doing the same thing to the national pastime.
    Isn't that baseball? :)

Blog Entries

Compare this wussie Prez to the one who saved football in 1905 after 18 players died on the field which was considered
    a national disgrace. They didn't call hm the rough rider for nutten. And all this after his own son got a broken nose in a JV game at Harvard. Ironically, Harvard was one of the many schools that tried to ban football.

Teddy, who never played the game but loved it, got the leaders together in the White HOuse and said football is on trial (there was a lot of sentiment in Congress to pass legislation to kill it). You are going to change the game by instituting strategies, plays with the forward pass being born and the spread offense, teams had to get 10 yards for a first down instead of 5 and the two lines had to stand a yard apart at the line of scrimmage and the football
    helmet was born for safety not to mention the NFL which came along 20 years later.

Can you imagine OBY seeing his son get a broken nose? He'd throw up and raise taxes. I still have a broken finger
    from a game in hi school. When I give someone the bird the top half makes a 90 degree turn to the left-lol. When I was drafted the Army doc yelled, your fingers are crooked. I said no shit. I played football and my own running back ran over
    my hand after I wiped out the right side of the line.

The most infamous example was Harvard’s “Flying Wedge,” inspired by Napoleonic war tactics: Offensive players assumed a V-shaped formation behind the line of scrimmage, then converged en masse on a single defensive lineman. “Think of it—half a ton of bone and muscle coming into collision with a man weighing 160 or 170 pounds,” wrote The New York Times

http://mentalfloss.com/article/31657...saved-football
    Last edited by AirFlacco; 01-28-2013 at 06:46 AM.

So what you're saying Trap, is that the president personally intervened and forced the powers that be to fundamentally change the rules of football to make it less violent and more safe, and that's good.

But when Goodel, as a function of his job, does the same thing, but much less drastically, that's a bad thing.

And when a president you don't like simply says he's unsure if he'd allow his child to play football, without expressing an interest in changing football in anyway that's bad too.
    My motto was always to keep swinging. Whether I was in a slump or feeling badly or having trouble off the field, the only thing to do was keep swinging. -Hank Aaron

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    So what?

My wife and I have had this discussion already as well. We're not sure if we will let our future son play football either.
    Us too.

However, the game and level of attentiveness to injuries is MUCH better than when I played in the 90's and early 2000's. Equipment is better, evaluations are better, and symptom/medical knowledge is better.

I'm not going to say that it is entirely safer, but I would say that all of the above has made the game "less" risky. I mean, if a high school kid suffers some significant concussions (like I did) then you have to take the necessary actions to make sure that they A) heal properly and B) understand that they probably shouldn't play anymore.

When I was in high school (graduated in 2001), my coach used to tell us that getting your bells rung was a badge of honor and it just means that you hit a guy "real good". Concussions weren't even in the repertoire.

We're going to let the boy decide for himself when he's ready. If he wants to play soccer, baseball, swim, lacrosse, golf...whatever. I'm cool with that. However, if he decides he wants to play football, I'm cool with that too. We'll just know to keep an eye on things like concussions.

In all honesty, even with the concussions in football, I injured myself WAY more playing pick up basketball with friends...rolled ankles, torn ankle tendons, sprains, hyper extensions, broken fingers, even a concussion from landing on the court.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

each parent has their choice to raise their kids as they see fit. The fact that he is parenting and showing caution for a violent sport is nothing unusual. I dont get the joke or the "wussie" comment, except blatant favoritism as SpamBot pointed out.

Wicked you point out something thats really not talked about a lot, Basketball is also a violent sport. It may not be as violent of collisions but there certainly is a lot more physicality than some realize and the main difference being, no protective clothes or at least very minimal. I think anybody that goes up for a rebound in a crowd can attest to that fact.
    -JAB

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    So what?

Seriously sir,with all due respect, no smack, why do you even watch football? Why are you a Ravens fan? Did you not play at all as a child? How do you think he'll feel when all his friends are playing but he can't because he might get hurt? I know a father
    who did that to his son and the boy was always bitter about it. I can see the fans across the pond never playing but most of us here have as a child, many of us in organized ball. People get concussions and even blinded in baseball getting drilled in the head with a Jim Palmer fast ball 95 mph.

I'm not making light of the injuries but we have the leader of the country bad mouthing the game and trying to influence
    people like you vs it. Injuries are part of the game. Like Solo said, they were a badge of courage as a kid. I got four stitches
    from getting kicked in the head, went to the hospital and had to wear a wrapping around my head. I went to City,
    an all boys school and that was my badge of courage and I was hot shit for a week too. Everyone had something to
    say. I was proud when I was carried into the hospital.

The link I posted above showed how people were
    killed. I remember Ben Davidson kicking Johnny Unitas in the stomach in a game but off the field he was supposed to be
    a great guy and father.

If it's too rough, than don't let your future son watch and dont watch it yourself.
    Last edited by AirFlacco; 01-28-2013 at 08:56 AM.

Blog Entries

I just remembered this story from a poster a couple of years ago who sat next to Jon Gruden on a
    flight to Tampa after a night game here. Gruden said Goodell is killing the game with all these
    wussie rules.

That was the sentiment of most of the posters on this board especially in reference to the Brady
    Rule. We even called him Marsha. Phil Simms went on TV and yelled at the fans for saying things like
    that and bitching about the rules. Of course he was a QB too.

Even Suggs said they are reducing the game to touch football.

So we're going from the flying wedge to touch football. That's what some of you liberals want.
    Last edited by AirFlacco; 01-28-2013 at 08:59 AM.