Page 2 of 49 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Re: Flacco asking for Brees type money

I completely agree, the ravens will be forced to rely on the draft for years to come. I still think that Ozzie will be able to pull his late offseason magic and bring in cheap stud free agents. We will likely find ourselves in the situation we currently have with Kruger I.e not being able to resign him. If flacco does bring home a ring, I honestly feel that we have as good a chance as any other team to bring home another especially since flacco has at least one more season with Caldwell. This combined with the fact that the front office is very likely to restock the defense through the draft this year. But all of that being said we may not be able to replenish the talent lost the last two years and could be mediocre for a couple years.

Blog Entries

I don't know what he's asking for but most of us agree he will get around $18M likely. So why not ask for $20 as your starting point? The Ravens don't want to franchise him over $1M a year when they can work out a long term deal

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

It will take a Brees like contract to get him signed, and it will likely be a similar game of chicken and tag until it gets done, but as long as there is a franchise tag, guys like Brees and Flacco are not going to get to free agency, but will get paid.

:T2:

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    I don't know what he's asking for but most of us agree he will get around $18M likely. So why not ask for $20 as your starting point? The Ravens don't want to franchise him over $1M a year when they can work out a long term deal
    It's bargaining 101. You always start high.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The four-lettered network said he could ask for Brees money, not that he definitely will. Let's see how Sunday shakes out before speculating on his contract. Regardless of what happens, Joe will get PAID.

I said 6 years, 100 million throughout this season, and I still think that's the most likely number. If Joe's agent really wants the contract to say 6 years, 120 million, they can easily make that work by using funny numbers. I doubt he'll really get 20m a year.

Vick signed a 6 year 100m deal a few years ago... but when actually scrutinized the deal didn't work that way at all. It was all funny numbers. The real questions are going to come down to the bonuses/allocations and the amount of guaranteed money.

I think when all's said and done, Flacco's real contract will look something like 6 years, 100m, 50 guaranteed a large portion of which will be a big signing bonus. Add in some escalators and not-likely-to-be-earned incentives that could maybe bring it up to 120 or so... maybe add in an option year at the end to get to 7 years 120?

Maybe this is finally the kick in the pants Ozzie needed to start actually getting extensions done before guy's walk years. Flacco has 100% of the leverage at this point and the FO has nobody to blame but themselves. They should have just gotten this done last August.

The way Webb was handled ought to be the benchmark for the future. They got his extension done quickly and quietly well before he got to his walk year, with neither side leaking to the media, etc... I'm not sure if that was possible in the Flacco negotiations, but you really don't get the sense that they ever sat down and said "we're not leaving until this gets done."

That was a mistake, and Ozzie doesn't make a whole ton of them, but I really don't like the way he's done extensions/re-signings at times.

Listen, if the dude lights up the 49ers and wins the Superbowl. I could skate on that for the next couple years, sure. I think Joe knows he will get his money one way or another, if he truly wants to "win" he'll know not to cripple the team. He likes protection in the pocket, yes? Can't do it without an o-line.

Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    I said 6 years, 100 million throughout this season, and I still think that's the most likely number. If Joe's agent really wants the contract to say 6 years, 120 million, they can easily make that work by using funny numbers. I doubt he'll really get 20m a year.

Vick signed a 6 year 100m deal a few years ago... but when actually scrutinized the deal didn't work that way at all. It was all funny numbers. The real questions are going to come down to the bonuses/allocations and the amount of guaranteed money.

I think when all's said and done, Flacco's real contract will look something like 6 years, 100m, 50 guaranteed a large portion of which will be a big signing bonus. Add in some escalators and not-likely-to-be-earned incentives that could maybe bring it up to 120 or so... maybe add in an option year at the end to get to 7 years 120?
    I think it will average out to be about 17-18 Million per season, when all said and done, just hope next years figure is cap freindly.

To be honest, I don't really understand the desire for $20 million per year on Flacco's part. First of all, when you are talking net worth in the 8 figures, how much difference does a few more make? Wouldn't you be happier with a little less money on a better team. What if Bisciotti says "Sure Joe, we'll pay up. But tomorrow we are cutting Yanda and Boldin to get under the cap. We can't bring in any o-line help so Oher and Jah Reid will be your tackles next year." Wouldn't you rather have a little less money but have a better chance at multiple rings and not get sacked 50+ times a year?

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk

It's a relative number and the fact we are hearing about it means the number was leaked.

He won't get $20 Million and I doubt he or is agent believe he will.

It's still all negotiation ploys, nothing more.

Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    Maybe this is finally the kick in the pants Ozzie needed to start actually getting extensions done before guy's walk years. Flacco has 100% of the leverage at this point and the FO has nobody to blame but themselves. They should have just gotten this done last August.

The way Webb was handled ought to be the benchmark for the future. They got his extension done quickly and quietly well before he got to his walk year, with neither side leaking to the media, etc... I'm not sure if that was possible in the Flacco negotiations, but you really don't get the sense that they ever sat down and said "we're not leaving until this gets done."

That was a mistake, and Ozzie doesn't make a whole ton of them, but I really don't like the way he's done extensions/re-signings at times.
    Not every player wants to take an early deal. Look at Cary Williams. And for good reason a lot of times: Cary is going to make a lot more money than his offer last year. It's a risk to hold out for free agency but often it's worth it for a lot of players.

And on the other hand, signing guys early is great but it also sets you up for holdouts when players realize that they are out-playing their deals. For example is Flacco signed a deal last year that averaged him 10-13 mil a year and then he had the exact same season this year, wins a Super Bowl, and maybe another Super Bowl in a year; you really think he's going to be happy being EXTREMELY underpaid in relation to his prodcution? That's how holdouts occur. Sooner or later you have to pay a guy what he is worth.

It's a two way street really, it's not as easy as just saying "ok now I'm going to sign guys early."