Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Re: Salary Cap Notes: Corey Graham and Michael Oher cash in

[QUOTE=LukeDaniel;571575]
    Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    The whole point is that the Ravens could EASILY go into 2013 without signing a single free agent. They just don't have the cap space. Kruger, Ellerbe, Cary, McKinnie... all gone. QUOTE]

The only way we would be close to having this happen would be if we had to franchise Flacco and kept Leach/Boldin/Jones at their current cap #s.

I don't have my cap spreadsheet here at work, but even if we had to give Joe a $16 million fanchise tag and opted to keep Jacoby/Quan/Vonta (assuming cut/retire to Birk and cutting Bobby Williams) that would put us around $122-$123 based on my memory of what it looks like. I believe, with our carryover from 2012, our salary cap ceiling is $122.

So imagine if we get Flacco signed longterm ($6 million+ in savings) and part ways with Jones and Leach ($7 million savings). That would give us $12 million or so in cap money to spend without even having to touch Boldin's contract. We can keep Kruger and Ellerbe for that amount and possibly even bring in one more FA. Or, if 99 and 59 get too expensive, we can get four decent mid-level free agents for that amount too.

If we want to keep either Jones or Leach, then we could probably do so as well and still be somewhat active in resigning Kruger/Ellerbe or getting 2-3 free agents.

Getting Flacco signed long-term is the pivotal event of this offseason. Without it, we are basically treading water with our current guys. With it, we are actually not in a bad spot in the least.
    [QUOTE=leachisabeast;571579]
    Quote Originally Posted by LukeDaniel View Post

This is around what I've worked out too, I don't understand where the whole "no cap at all" thing is coming from. Sure, its not perfect, but its not the Pittsburgh Steelers. I worked out (despite the minor mistake of working out 17 mill instead of 16.5) we will be able to afford two solid FA's and will be able to re-sign Kruger and Ellerbe, unless they get crazy with their demands (isn't really out of the questions tbh). Even though I love the likes of Leach, the upside of cutting him to keep guys like Kruger and Ellerbe is higher than keeping a 32 year old FB.
    I get all that, but refer to my original posts on this topic... if Flacco is franchised, that would put us over the cap of $120m RIGHT THERE... without signing a single free agent! In other words, you're talking about cutting guys just to make weight. Dumping Jacoby and Vonta and freeing up their 7m is a good move, but that gets you down to a payroll of about $115m, all else equal. That's projected to be $5m under the cap. They could PROBABLY get one of Kruger and Ellerbe under that, but both would be a big stretch... do they really want to be right at the cap again with back-loaded contracts dragging down the future?

I agree that Flacco's long-term contract is the pivotal issue, but the real question is not IF it happens but WHEN it happens. If the Ravens have to franchise Flacco they're out of free agency, period, until the tag is lifted via long-term deal. The worst case scenario here is that Flacco remains on the franchise tag through the entire offseason. By opening day guys like Ellerbe, Kruger, Knighton, Kenny Phillips, etc. will have all likely signed elsewhere--they're not going to wait for the Ravens on a handshake deal in all likelihood.

That's why I called it the worst case scenario--and, unfortunately, I think it has a strong possibility of playing out. The Ravens want to get a deal done quickly but they had the entire season to do that and the FO had more leverage months ago. Now Flacco has a lot of leverage, and that could complicate the process. I think it gets done but I don't know if the odds are good that it happens before late summer.

Ravens always do cap magic, they will again. We will lose a few players and add some. Birk might not retire, btw if you read his interview. He played pretty well this year. Their might be a few restructured deals here and thier but not much change in the roster next year except for a handful of players. I think Leach might be released (possibly resigned), something will happen Boldins deal and Jones but I expect them both back likey with longerterm contracts. People freak out 2 years ago we let go Heap, WM. Mase and Buddy Lee and make AFFCG, Last year Grubbs, Johnson, Mckinney, Redding and backup S's and make AFFCG again! Relax.... Joe will sign longterm deal with cap freindly 2013 like Rice and then cap goes up again in 2014. The beat moves on. 90% of the teams have the same problem but not the depth or talent level of the Ravens or the shrewd FO. Raves always have a plan and many backup plans.

The Cap numbers for the 42 players under contract for 2013 are now updated and on the site:

http://russellstreetreport.com/salar...ns-salary-cap/
    “Talk's cheap - let’s go play.” - #19, Johnny Unitas

Follow me on Twitter @ravenssalarycap

Quote Originally Posted by LukeDaniel View Post
    The only way we would be close to having this happen would be if we had to franchise Flacco and kept Leach/Boldin/Jones at their current cap #s.

I don't have my cap spreadsheet here at work, but even if we had to give Joe a $16 million fanchise tag and opted to keep Jacoby/Quan/Vonta (assuming cut/retire to Birk and cutting Bobby Williams) that would put us around $122-$123 based on my memory of what it looks like. I believe, with our carryover from 2012, our salary cap ceiling is $122.
    I think that's bit optimistic. Right now, after tendering their RFAs and ERFAs and including the savings from Ray's retirement, I would project the team to have around $5M under (could be more like $6-7M if they decline to tender some of their RFAs - Harewood, DReed). That includes a full carryover of the $1.182M from this year. If you add in the retirements of Birk and Williams, that number goes up to just under $7.5M. So, if they are forced to franchise Flacco, they will have to do a lot more work, via restructures, extensions or releases, to just get under the Cap.

I would agree with bmorecareful, if they have to franchise Flacco, they are likely out of free agency, including re-signing some of their own (at least, barring wholesale restructures/releases/extensions).

So, IMO, the key to their offseason is getting a deal done with Flacco.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by B-more Ravor View Post
    I think that's bit optimistic. Right now, after tendering their RFAs and ERFAs and including the savings from Ray's retirement, I would project the team to have around $5M under (could be more like $6-7M if they decline to tender some of their RFAs - Harewood, DReed). That includes a full carryover of the $1.182M from this year. If you add in the retirements of Birk and Williams, that number goes up to just under $7.5M. So, if they are forced to franchise Flacco, they will have to do a lot more work, via restructures, extensions or releases, to just get under the Cap.

I would agree with bmorecareful, if they have to franchise Flacco, they are likely out of free agency, including re-signing some of their own (at least, barring wholesale restructures/releases/extensions).

If they can get Flacco's 2013 cap number to $8.5M or around that we should be fine. Easier said than done though.

Blog Entries

Ellerbe will not cost a lot, in the grand scheme of things, due to the devaluation of his position. We saw that last off-season and it is unlikely to change.

I would expect the team to work out an extension for Anquan Boldin. They will also keep Vontae Leach. These are guys that you can count on for more physically demanding opponents. They have added a sense of toughness to the offense.

The odd man out on offense will be Jacoby Jones. While he has not played as bad as I thought he would, I can see them trying to groom someone like Deonte Thompson for his role.

The one guy that is probably as good as gone is Paul Kruger.

The guy that I think is an unknown is Bryant McKinnie. It will be interesting to see how much he garners in Free Agency. If the team could bring him back for less than four million, while drafting their future LT, that would be the best case scenario. That way, they could keep the rest of the line where it needs to be.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

Which also means that it is more likely to happen, IMO.

Flacco knows that he has the leverage and if they win the SB and he wins the MVP or something - which is likely - then he'll have even more leverage.

The Ravens know that in order to remain competitive they need to get Flacco under a long term contract and structure it so that his cap number isn't killing them next year.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by trailhiker85 View Post
    What is the deadline for an NFL team to declare whom, if anyone, they are going to franchise tag in 2013?
    The period for designating players with the Franchise or Transition Tag begins on February 18th and ends on March 4th.

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    If they can get Flacco's 2013 cap number to $8.5M or around that we should be fine. Easier said than done though.
    On a long term deal, that is definitely doable and could/should be less than that.

For instance, if he got a $30M signing bonus and a $1M base salary for 2013, his 2013 Cap number would be $7M. With that said, though, I wouldn't expect his signing bonus to be that much, because they usually structure their guaranteed money to include an option bonus (or two, if it's a 7-year deal). So, perhaps a $20M Signing bonus (with a $10M option bonus in 2014). That would reduce his 2013 Cap number (with a $1M base salary) to $5M.

OTOH, if they can't get it done........it's not going to be pretty.
    Last edited by B-more Ravor; 01-29-2013 at 11:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Which also means that it is more likely to happen, IMO.

Flacco knows that he has the leverage and if they win the SB and he wins the MVP or something - which is likely - then he'll have even more leverage.

The Ravens know that in order to remain competitive they need to get Flacco under a long term contract and structure it so that his cap number isn't killing them next year.
    I hear ya, but we've seen Suggs', Ngata's and Rice's franchise tags severely restrict them in the past and those deals didn't get done very timely, so I'm hoping for a long-term deal, but I'm not going to expect it.

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    I think the Ravens will want to extend Michael Oher to a fair market deal to play RT, they could reduce Oher's cap number in 2013 by 1 or two mills, every little will help. Corey Grahame's cap number is still a bargain for the level of play he offers at the CB position.
    Glad to see Graham is getting paid for the job he did in 2012/13. He came up BIG when needed.

Gotta hope Webb comes back close to form & Smith matures;after that, Corey may have to walk in favor of cheaper guys on rookie contracts (e.g.C. or O. Brown, A Jackson, etc.) What a luxury of DB depth we saw this year! A far cry from the Derrick Martin/Frank Walker days.

One side benefit of the AFC Champion & Super Bowl bound Baltimore Ravens recent and future high profile is that Oher's "Blindside rep." as an All-World LT has been exposed. Teams would be foolish to sign him as an LT, and I suspect few will try to outbid the Ravens for Oher @ RT. Next year, we're probably breaking in a new center and still trying to draft a long term LT. Let's keep as much continuity as we can on this OL.

I hear ya, but we've seen Suggs', Ngata's and Rice's franchise tags severely restrict them in the past and those deals didn't get done very timely, so I'm hoping for a long-term deal, but I'm not going to expect it.
    This is what I keep repeating over and over but people aren't getting it. We all know they got deals for those guys done, EVENTUALLY, but they took forever and a day despite not even approaching the size and scope of the deal Flacco's going to sign. What makes people think Flacco's deal will happen faster just because it's more urgent? This is an FO that usually takes negotiations down to the wire and sometimes beyond, as in Suggs' case.

While those guys were under the tag the Ravens' ability to operate was severely constrained. The same will be true if/when Flacco is tagged... the Ravens will be completely and totally locked out of free agency until after the tag is lifted, which may not happen until it's far too late to matter. That would mean not signing any of the UFAs that we're all coveting, including the Ravens' own guys.