Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: LOL - OBY unsure if he'd let a son play football

In what possible universe is this a liberal vs. conservative issue? And how the hell do you construe Obama's comments as "bad mouthing the game" and "trying to pressure change"? (A charge I find ludicrously ironic since you praised another president for taking direct action and DRAMATICALLY altering football.)
    My motto was always to keep swinging. Whether I was in a slump or feeling badly or having trouble off the field, the only thing to do was keep swinging. -Hank Aaron

Blog Entries

Seems everything in AirFlaccos life is Liberal VS Conservative. If he doesnt like or agree with it, he refers to it as Liberal.

Football is for entertainment. Just because you enjoy that entertainment doesnt mean you want your child doing it. Its comparative to going to the strip club but "keeping your daughter off the pole".
    -JAB

Blog Entries

I'm a history buff as most of you know, and I just wish I could have been at some of the games in the 1890s.
    I would have loved to play even more. Again, I'm thankful my dad let me go out for my college team and I was
    the smallest player on the field. Didn't make the team of course but I played in a scrimmage for 10 mins and held
    my own. I did make the wrestling team.

And the TErps are switching to the Big 10 because of their history going back to that era and how big they've
    become.

Blog Entries

I don't understand why this even has to have a political agenda.

Look at the number of players who have come out and stated that they would rather not let their sons play football.

There is no political agenda there. There is just parents being concerned with the mental well-being/future of their children. As a parent, I can understand that.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AirFlacco View Post
    Seriously sir,with all due respect, no smack, why do you even watch football? Why are you a Ravens fan? Did you not play at all as a child? How do you think he'll feel when all his friends are playing but he can't because he might get hurt? I know a father
    who did that to his son and the boy was always bitter about it. I can see the fans across the pond never playing but most of us here have as a child, many of us in organized ball. People get concussions and even blinded in baseball getting drilled in the head with a Jim Palmer fast ball 95 mph.

I'm not making light of the injuries but we have the leader of the country bad mouthing the game and trying to influence
    people like you vs it. Injuries are part of the game. Like Solo said, they were a badge of courage as a kid. I got four stitches
    from getting kicked in the head, went to the hospital and had to wear a wrapping around my head. I went to City,
    an all boys school and that was my badge of courage and I was hot shit for a week too. Everyone had something to
    say. I was proud when I was carried into the hospital.

The link I posted above showed how people were
    killed. I remember Ben Davidson kicking Johnny Unitas in the stomach in a game but off the field he was supposed to be
    a great guy and father.

If it's too rough, than don't let your future son watch and dont watch it yourself.
    Just because my football coach in high school said that getting your bells rung was a badge of honor didn't mean that they were. This same coach could barely walk because of multiple knee surgeries from playing football (he played for the Detroit Lions in the 70's). I had 2 big concussions in high school and 1 my freshman year of college (actually given to me by John Kuhn...go figure) and I can adamantly tell you that there was nothing about them that were badges of honor.

I had 20/20 vision until my freshman year of college...after that last concussion, I needed a prescription for glasses. I forgot my home phone number. I would forget homework assignments. I mixed up class times (to the point where I would walk into a class thinking I was the first in, sit down, and realize that I had missed the class when no one showed up), and I was just really depressed. The neurologist told me that he was recommending to my college coaching staff that they not let me play anymore. They didn't. I was pissed for a while, but now I'm glad they didn't let me suit up again.

8 years later: I have 20/20 vision again and have no other symptoms (memory loss, etc).

According to the neurologist I saw, it takes approximately 3 years for a concussion to fully heal (depending on the severity). So, guys who are suffering a concussion every season (Jahvid Best comes to mind) are REALLY pushing the envelope on their post-NFL life.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    I don't understand why this even has to have a political agenda.

Look at the number of players who have come out and stated that they would rather not let their sons play football.

There is no political agenda there. There is just parents being concerned with the mental well-being/future of their children. As a parent, I can understand that.
    When is something with AirFlacco not a political agenda?

I'm only a college student, but I'm not sure if I'd let my kid play football either. I played HS football a few years ago and while everyone thinks these drastic measures are in place to treat concussions, it's not as exhaustive as you'd like to think.
    Follow me on twitter at @dandrews66

I played high school ball 10 years ago. Fullback and nose tackle. (Not bad for a kid well south of 5'6 and at the time less than 150 pounds with a brick in each hand). There are entire GAMES I only know happened because I have tapes of them. I probably suffered between 4 and 7 concussions. I don't know the exact number because nobody ever took me to a doctor for them. I got knocked out cold twice and both times went back into the game.

I would never let my kid play the way I did. And I wish I had been smart enough to tell my parents about it because I doubt they would have let me keep playing either.
    My motto was always to keep swinging. Whether I was in a slump or feeling badly or having trouble off the field, the only thing to do was keep swinging. -Hank Aaron

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dandrews View Post
    When is something with AirFlacco not a political agenda?

I'm only a college student, but I'm not sure if I'd let my kid play football either. I played HS football a few years ago and while everyone thinks these drastic measures are in place to treat concussions, it's not as exhaustive as you'd like to think.
    A lot of high school coaches are required to do medical correspondence classes now regarding concussions, symptoms, and treatments. For example, last August, California governor signed AB1451, which will require all high school coaches to go through concussion training. In July of last year, the Maryland Board of Ed passed requirements for all school coaches (not just football) to be trained on head-trauma and related injuries.
    http://articles.washingtonpost.com/2...chool-students

Trust me, it is SIGNIFICANTLY better than what it was when I was in high school a little more than a decade ago. I mean, defensive coordinator actually told me once that the best way to not get a headache from contact is to just hit the other guy harder before he can hit you. I hit a kid so hard during one high school game that I broke his jaw. That kid never played again. I can remember in the MD state playoffs making a tackle...blacking out for a second or two...coming to and being dizzy and seeing stars...literally seeing stars. It is strange to think about, because it wasn't that long ago, but the past 4-5 years have really forced the issue to the front of the lines, so to speak, and high school coaches are the one's who are going to be expected to lead the charge because a lot of kids who have major concussion issues in college and in the pro's, probably suffered legitimate concussions while in high school when their brains were still developing.

My wife's uncle is in the New Jersey coaches hall of fame as a football coach and he has been championing head-trauma training for coaches in New Jersey for a long time now.

Also, many colleges (and high schools) are requiring that their football team's use specific helmets that are better designed and have been proven to reduce (not eliminate) head trauma. REVO Speed helmets, for example. Virginia Tech did a study on these helmets a couple of years ago and they beat out the other helmet companies by a fair amount.
    Last edited by wickedsolo; 01-28-2013 at 10:28 AM.

Blog Entries

Just because my football coach in high school said that getting your bells rung was a badge of honor didn't mean that they were. This same coach could barely walk because of multiple knee surgeries from playing football (he played for the Detroit Lions in the 70's). I had 2 big concussions in high school and 1 my freshman year of college (actually given to me by John Kuhn...go figure) and I can adamantly tell you that there was nothing about them that were badges of honor.

I had 20/20 vision until my freshman year of college...after that last concussion, I needed a prescription for glasses. I forgot my home phone number. I would forget homework assignments. I mixed up class times (to the point where I would walk into a class thinking I was the first in, sit down, and realize that I had missed the class when no one showed up), and I was just really depressed. The neurologist told me that he was recommending to my college coaching staff that they not let me play anymore. They didn't. I was pissed for a while, but now I'm glad they didn't let me suit up again.

8 years later: I have 20/20 vision again and have no other symptoms (memory loss, etc).

According to the neurologist I saw, it takes approximately 3 years for a concussion to fully heal (depending on the severity). So, guys who are suffering a concussion every season (Jahvid Best comes to mind) are REALLY pushing the envelope on their post-NFL life.
    IT really is kind of funny when you look at how different sports handle concussions. I remember a baseball player for the twins (Mauer, I think) had a concussion and was basically out a whole year. Crosby for the Penguins was out about that amount of time if I remember correctly.

I know there are different level of concussions or sometimes when someone gets there bell rung is it a concussion? For example, when I see a guy catch a pass head hits the ground and he gets up wobbly for a second, is that a concussion? Or is it like watching UFC where a guy takes a stiff jab and his knees buckle for a second? On the other hand Steven Ridley got KTFO and I bet if the Pats won he'd be playing in the Super Bowl, if this were the UFC he couldn't even have contact with the league for 90 days.

Blog Entries

Just because my football coach in high school said that getting your bells rung was a badge of honor didn't mean that they were.
    It was for us in the 60s and I'm sure kids feel that way today. Look at little league games today with fathers as coaches
    pushing their sons to the limit to excel. And the coach's son is always the QB in football or the pitcher in baseball
    or the center in basketball. They're not saying they're not letting their sons play football.

John Mackey died because of his football injuries. I doubt he wouldn't change a thing about his career. Unitas
    couldn't comb his hair in retirement because of his crooked fingers. I saw them myself when he shook my hand they
    were so brittle looking and I know his son played football at Loch Raven hi school.

I put the thread in the political forum because the president said it. It was about football but a mod would have moved
    it here like the other thread.

Again, I never had any serious injuries and I played a ton of football in the trenches on both lines and ran the ball
    a little and neither did my brother or his son who plays football now and wrestles for his team. An article was just
    written about him in the county news paper.

He's also better and faster than both of us were.

As for those players that said the same thing, they were severely criticized for it too by their colleagues like
    Toomer who is a retired receiver. Warner was forced to clarify his remarks. He took much from the game and then
    zaps it. Hell, he was discovered playing in Arena ball as a vet and working in Wall Marts or some such place and
    then he zaps the game after taking millions from it after going to a couple of SBs.
    Last edited by AirFlacco; 01-28-2013 at 10:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    Seems everything in AirFlaccos life is Liberal VS Conservative. If he doesnt like or agree with it, he refers to it as Liberal.
    Pretty much. Add in name calling to pols he doesn't agree with and you're 100% correct.

Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    Football is for entertainment. Just because you enjoy that entertainment doesnt mean you want your child doing it. Its comparative to going to the strip club but "keeping your daughter off the pole".
    Great point.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AirFlacco View Post
    It was for us in the 60s and I'm sure kids feel that way today. Look at little league games today with fathers as coaches
    pushing their sons to the limit to excel. And the coach's son is always the QB in football or the pitcher in baseball
    or the center in basketball. They're not saying they're not letting their sons play football.

John Mackey died because of his football injuries. I doubt he wouldn't change a thing about his career. Unitas
    couldn't comb his hair in retirement because of his crooked fingers. I saw them myself when he shook my hand they
    were so brittle looking and I know his son played football at Loch Raven hi school.

I put the thread in the political forum because the president said it. It was about football but a mod would have moved
    it here like the other thread.

Again, I never had any serious injuries and I played a ton of football in the trenches on both lines and ran the ball
    a little and neither did my brother or his son who plays football now and wrestles for his team. An article was just
    written about him in the county news paper.

He's also better and faster than both of us were.

As for those players that said the same thing, they were severely criticized for it too by their colleagues like
    Toomer who is a retired receiver. Warner was forced to clarify his remarks. He took much from the game and then
    zaps it. Hell, he was discovered playing in Arena ball as a vet and working in Wall Marts or some such place and
    then he zaps the game after taking millions from it after going to a couple of SBs.
    I don't disagree with you that there is a sense of hypocrisy in former players saying that they wouldn't let their kids play, however, having dealt with concussions I can understand why they are saying that they'd rather not see their kids jeopardize their futures like that. Sure, the money is great and if wisely handled can set you and your family up for the rest of your life...and some, but that doesn't negate a parent's worry for their child's quality of life.

And John Mackey is a great point of how countless incidents of head trauma can severely hinder one's quality of life. However, like I pointed out in posts above, back then a concussion wasn't even in the repertoire. Rub some dirt on it and get back out there.

Back in colonial times, people who had mental illnesses were thought to be possessed by the Devil, witches, and any number of things to try and explain why they are the way they are. They used to burn witches at the stake. We now know that witches aren't real. Should we still burn free-spirited women at the stake? While this is a major analogical step, the point is that we now KNOW a lot more about head-trauma as it relates to football. We know about symptoms. We know about proper equipment measures. And we know what possibilities are of long-term effects from sports-related head-trauma. Does that mean we should still turn a blind eye to it and hi-five our sons for knocking the shit out of someone on the field? Of course there are going to be parents who do that. I can't honestly say that I WONT do that if my son chooses to play football, but I still am going to be approaching this from an entirely different angle than I would have 10 years ago. And if parents (players or Presidents) want to urge their sons to pursue different sports, then so be it.

There isn't anything "wussie" about not wanting your kid to suffer head-trauma.