Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Re: Ed Reed playing next year

If he plays next year, I don't think it will be here. He expects to be paid top dollar, and I don't see the Ravens doing that. Plus I think he and Harbaugh, while they've played nice lately, have some issues with each other. I think he'll end up somewhere where there is a good chance of him being in the Super Bowl again. New England, Indianapolis, and New Orleans are all good guesses, IMO. We all know the deal with the Pats (mutual admiration society) and Colts (Pagano). The Saints are definitely intriguing, since he's from the area, and with Drew Brees, the return of Sean Payton, and some defensive improvements (of which he'd be one), they're definitely a team to be reckoned with. I would be shocked if he went to the Jets and got involved with that circus. He likes Rex, but not that much.
    Never get in a fight with a pig; you both get muddy, and the pig likes it...

Blog Entries

Let's keep it real here. Nobody offered Ray Lewis more than Baltimore, on the open market. Nobody is going to offer a single-armed Ed Reed more than the Ravens on the open market, not even New England. The only 'possibility' that I see is New York, but that would be so bad of a move that even Ed would recognize that.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

He should stay so he can groom Matt Elam.

Dashon Goldson for the 49ers has been franchised this year and they still haven't negotiated a deal yet (2nd year in a row). If he walks, the 49ers are definitely going to need a ball hawking Free Safety, and Jim Harbaugh is not afraid to kick the tires on a proven vet like he did Moss

Bengals. They have Marvin, and they have massive amounts of cap space that they are now required to spend.

Quote Originally Posted by Your Worst Enemy View Post
    Dashon Goldson for the 49ers has been franchised this year and they still haven't negotiated a deal yet (2nd year in a row). If he walks, the 49ers are definitely going to need a ball hawking Free Safety, and Jim Harbaugh is not afraid to kick the tires on a proven vet like he did Moss
    Moss was different, they got him for cheap. Ed is going to expect money wherever he goes. The only chance of him taking a paycut would be if he were staying in Baltimore which I doubt happens (thought best case scenario is we draft mid-rounds and let Reed mentor him), but that's a little too utopian

Quote Originally Posted by runrayrun27 View Post
    Moss was different, they got him for cheap. Ed is going to expect money wherever he goes. The only chance of him taking a paycut would be if he were staying in Baltimore which I doubt happens (thought best case scenario is we draft mid-rounds and let Reed mentor him), but that's a little too utopian
    Good point

In all honesty, I'd really like to see Ed retire a Raven, whether it be after next weekend or a new contract with the Ravens, and he retires 1 or 2 years from now. I can't gut the feeling of him playing for Bellicheat and the Cheatriots, or the Gang Green of New York.

Quote Originally Posted by palukaraven View Post
    In all honesty, I'd really like to see Ed retire a Raven, whether it be after next weekend or a new contract with the Ravens, and he retires 1 or 2 years from now. I can't gut the feeling of him playing for Bellicheat and the Cheatriots, or the Gang Green of New York.
    Yeah because he's clearly a HOFer and his jersey will be retired someday. Why not let him retire a Raven like Ray Ray? (assuming a deal is possible)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    Let's keep it real here. Nobody offered Ray Lewis more than Baltimore, on the open market. Nobody is going to offer a single-armed Ed Reed more than the Ravens on the open market, not even New England. The only 'possibility' that I see is New York, but that would be so bad of a move that even Ed would recognize that.
    This. A 1000 times this.

I've been saying it for a while:

This will play out almost identical to the Lewis a few years ago.

He'll test the market. It will be underwhelming. He'll return on a deal structured much like Lewis' was.

Reed is my favorite Raven of all time but honestly, unless he's willing to stay on the cheap [not going to happen] then it's time for him to go. He had 8 picks in 10 games in 2010, but only has 7 picks in his last 32 games so I think his ballhawking days are largely over. When it comes to tackling, he's either bouncing off a guy, getting hurdled, or getting flagged. The best aspect of his game left is the reputation (not too many deep balls thrown this postseason) and that he can be the defensive general on the field when Lewis leaves. I don't think that's enough to pay him the top dollar he's going to want and sooner or later you're going to need move on with young talent.

The salary floor starts to go into effect next year so you're going to see teams with a bunch of room reach for these stars. I won't be betrayed if Ed goes elsewhere and I hope he can still make some records fall. He'll always be remembered as a Raven.

Blog Entries

Older veteran players on the downside of their careers go to New England as their last shot at getting a ring, not because they are offered a lot of money. Ed appears to want one last payday. I don't expect New England to be a player for Ed Reed, plus, even though Belicheat loves him, I doubt Ed would get along with him very long. BB would not want to put up with Ed's diva ways. One of the few players New England did break the bank for was Adalus Thomas and they regretted that deal soon after it happened. They did not get the player they payed for, which happens often when our defensive players leave the Ravens via free agency.