Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Re: Brendon Ayanbadejo plans to champion same-sex marriage at the Super Bowl

Quote Originally Posted by festivus View Post
    Oppressing a minority and apologizing while you're doing it does not make it ok to continue oppressing.
    Umm. Wat?

How is he oppressing anyone? He's giving his opinion (albeit a misinformed one).

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    So...God said "You know what fellas? I'm sorry, I was a little harsh back then...had a drinking problem...but that's in the past now! Here you go. Here's the new ish. BOOM. I just blew your mind."

:D
    lol...no not so much

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Umm. Wat?

How is he oppressing anyone? He's giving his opinion (albeit a misinformed one).
    Eh. I suppose.

Just glad people like that don't have the keys to the kingdom.
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Umm. Wat?

Assuming he votes, he was narrowly defeated in our recent referendum on gay marriage, had that referendum failed, gays in Maryland would still lack the rights they deserve because people like him express that opinion at the ballots.
    My motto was always to keep swinging. Whether I was in a slump or feeling badly or having trouble off the field, the only thing to do was keep swinging. -Hank Aaron

Blog Entries

So has this officially migrated to a discussion on same sex marriage and whether we support or don't support?

In the case of BA, I see no issue with him stating his support for it if he's asked about it, nor would I take issue with him mentioning it in an interview if they want to know about what he does outside of football.

Different story if he's trying to make it a spectacle or cause a major distraction. Doubt that is the case though. Also, we're not talking about a guy who will have a ton of media on him. He's not even in the top 10 of popular Ravens...
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Blog Entries

Just glad people like that don't have the keys to the kingdom.
    This almost sounds like religious rhetoric...I'm on your side, but let's just leave religion out of it. Makes our side look like we're trying to attack religion, which we're not.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag View Post
    This almost sounds like religious rhetoric...I'm on your side, but let's just leave religion out of it. Makes our side look like we're trying to attack religion, which we're not.
    No idea what you're talking about. Religion had nothing to do with my post.

And FWIW I have no problem bringing religion into a debate, as long as it's clearly labeled and taken for what it's worth. I'm not a fan of religion masquerading as social science but if someone says "Because of my faith I have to vote this way," at least I understand that. The OP is an excellent example of religion masquerading as something else, which here was distaste for BA's decision to speak about his personal views.

The problem wasn't BA, the problem was the views, but the OP didn't concede that until much later in the thread, and it wasn't until later than *that* that he finally got around to admitting it's all because of religion.

Just say up front "This is my faith and that's why I oppose so-and-so," but don't hide behind weak digs at BA or absurd claims about science. Call it what it is: Faith-based bigotry.
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.

Blog Entries

And FWIW I have no problem bringing religion into a debate, as long as it's clearly labeled and taken for what it's worth. I'm not a fan of religion masquerading as social science but if someone says "Because of my faith I have to vote this way," at least I understand that. The OP is an excellent example of religion masquerading as something else, which here was distaste for BA's decision to speak about his personal views.

The problem wasn't BA, the problem was the views, but the OP didn't concede that until much later in the thread, and it wasn't until later than *that* that he finally got around to admitting it's all because of religion.

Just say up front "This is my faith and that's why I oppose so-and-so," but don't hide behind weak digs at BA or absurd claims about science. Call it what it is: Faith-based bigotry.
    Help me out here so we can move past name calling.

How is a religion being bigoted by saying, we think God made man and women to be partners and it's unnatural for man and man or women and women to be together?

Blog Entries

So what your saying is that if i opened the thread by saying i have a problem with BA doing this because of my beliefs then everything would be ok? you are assuming that i was hiding that (or masquerading as you put it) , as though i have to explain why i have a problem with everything that i have a problem with up front, or other wise be deemed as hateful if my substantiating reasons come out later. if someone would have asked me why, i would have told them up front.

Blog Entries

Let's steer this one way or another...

Everything_Raven (and anyone else who is anti-same sex marriage on this thread), are you making these comments because you don't want BA making ANY comments about same sex marriage equality PERIOD, or are you making these comments because you don't want him doing this during Media Day?

Reading the blog post can be a bit misleading, but it mentions his ultimate goal is to win the Super Bowl and go on Ellen to discuss same sex marriage rights. Not exactly like he's planning rallies and skipping practice, or causing a major distraction during Media Day.

So are we going to have a debate about the issue itself? Or just BA supporting the issue itself? Or BA supporting the issue in a proactive manner during SB week?

Quote Originally Posted by Everything_Ravens View Post
    So what your saying is that if i opened the thread by saying i have a problem with BA doing this because of my beliefs then everything would be ok? you are assuming that i was hiding that (or masquerading as you put it) , as though i have to explain why i have a problem with everything that i have a problem with up front, or other wise be deemed as hateful if my substantiating reasons come out later. if someone would have asked me why, i would have told them up front.
    You *were* hiding it.

You said you were tired of *him*. Not what he was saying, but him:

Quote Originally Posted by Everything_Ravens View Post
    Really man give it a rest, this annoys me!

If anyone on this board is gay and offended by my stance on this I'm sorry but i just do not agree with this. He has been doing this stuff all year and now you're going to use the Super Bowl as a platform. i know everyone on the team doesn't agree with this.

This is the kind of thing you do on your free time not as a representative of the ravens!
    Then after a while you let us know you didn't approve of gay marriage.

Then you started in with your "Think about the kids" nonsense, which is a complete fiction because children of homosexual parents grow up just fine.

Only after you were challenged on *that* did you say it's because of your faith.

I'm not saying "everything would have been ok" if you'd been honest up front.

But we could have skipped a bunch of steps in the thread that followed. And oh by the way, the team has no problem with him speaking out. As you perhaps remember.
    Festivus

Blog Entries

You *were* hiding it.

You said you were tired of *him*. Not what he was saying, but him:

Then after a while you let us know you didn't approve of gay marriage.

Then you started in with your "Think about the kids" nonsense, which is a complete fiction because children of homosexual parents grow up just fine.

Only after you were challenged on *that* did you say it's because of your faith.

I'm not saying "everything would have been ok" if you'd been honest up front.

But we could have skipped a bunch of steps in the thread that followed. And oh by the way, the team has no problem with him speaking out. As you perhaps remember.
    wow.... for all of the effort that u put in typing this up, i mean asterisk around the words and everything, you have still failed miserably to say anything of fact. you need to go back and read the thread, your account of things is off.

And then as if lying on me for an entire post wasn't enough you top it off by lying on the entire team as if Matt Birk didnt go on record as saying dont redefine marriage www.startribune.com/opinion/commentaries/171850721.html :grbac:

i cant with you anymore dude.....