Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Re: how do we stop 49ers vaunted pistol offense?

Gunna come down to the DL. They are CRUCIAL in stopping the pistol, which scares me

Go look at how Seattle dominated them with Kaepernick, and how St. Louis beat them once and tied them once - both also with Kaepernick. Somehow those teams were able to do it, and in the two losses, SF was held to 13 points each time.

Quote Originally Posted by alien bird View Post
    Go look at how Seattle dominated them with Kaepernick, and how St. Louis beat them once and tied them once - both also with Kaepernick. Somehow those teams were able to do it, and in the two losses, SF was held to 13 points each time.
    Also the Saints in the first half had Kaepernick on the ropes.....he had that look that Flacco had his first few playoff games, deer in the headlights. For that matter look at what Atlanta did to him most of the game.........kept him in the pocket. If Turner hadn't got hurt we would be playing Atlanta anyway.
    Way Down South in New Orleans

Blog Entries

Was just going to say the same thing. I'm thinking they play contain on the outsides and force Kap up the middle running or passing. Basically a gradual tightening of the pocket rather than an allout rush, if that makes any sense.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Haloti92 View Post
    I am definitely nervous about the read-option though. It takes discipline and quick thinking and reactions to defend.
    I'm not. theres a reason it's still in college and not in the NFL.

Remember the last time some team tried some cutesy little BS from College(Wildcat). yeah how'd that work for them? The only reason the Niners are here is because they started this towards the end of the season. We have enough gametape now. All the respect to Jim and all but Ryan and the Failclowns aren't Flacco and the Ravens.

First, the "pistol" is a formation, not an overall offensive scheme.

It's basically a shotgun formation but the QB is closer to the line. The RB is lined up directly behind the QB typically, although you will sometimes see the RB to the side.

The weakness of the pistol comes in two areas. The line cannot pull to either side because the QB is closer to the line than in a traditional shotgun. Second, the RB is a slight disadvantage since now he has to run around the QB than on to the line. So the key on running plays is to stay to your assignment and make CK hand the ball off.

The weakness in the passing game is simple. Rush up the middle and the outside LB's simply play containment on the edges.

This isn't a new formation and I am willing to bet Harbs knows all about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Haloti92 View Post
    Brady won his first SB at the same spot in his career as Kaepernick is in now (his 2nd year after not playing his 1st year).

That said, Kaepernick has played less games in his 2nd year and isn't remotely the same style QB as Brady, plus the Pats first SB win was more a product of their defense (other than a semi-clutch late short FG drive by Brady)

I am definitely nervous about the read-option though. It takes discipline and quick thinking and reactions to defend.
    We have two weeks to work on it, and Tyrod to practice against........either way, we aren't going to shut them down totally, or need to, because i think we can score on them.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NOLARavenFAN View Post
    We have two weeks to work on it, and Tyrod to practice against........either way, we aren't going to shut them down totally, or need to, because i think we can score on them.
    Matt Ryan threw for almost 400 yards against them.

Quote Originally Posted by Paintballguy View Post
    Yes, but he's Matty Ice, the bestest quarterback from the 2008 draft, especially in the post season. The guy is elite.

Blog Entries

Yes, but he's Matty Ice, the bestest quarterback from the 2008 draft, especially in the post season. The guy is elite.
    Yeah you're right. I doubt Flacco can match the Elite Matty Ice. lol

Quote Originally Posted by Paintballguy View Post
    Yeah, Julio Jones was wearing them out, and the Niners had almost no pass rush. I kept watching that Niner DL, especially Soapoanga get no push at all......Ryan had all day until the very end really. They almost ever ran any kind of scheme at all. It look like Grandpa Matti at his worst. I really think we can work Soapoang over.