So I was kind of down because we don't have Webb like we did in week 3...then I read this

I ventured over to Grantland since Bill Barnwell loves us so much and came across this article.

I was happy to read this section:

Webb played virtually every defensive snap in the Week 3 contest between these two teams, while Smith was in on 82 percent of the defensive plays. Smith didn't play a single defensive snap last week, with his spot in the rotation taken by Chykie Brown, but the more notable replacement is Corey Graham, whom you may remember running a Peyton Manning interception back to the house last week. Graham was an elite gunner on special teams for the Chicago Bears whom the Ravens signed this offseason to serve as their kick- and punt-coverage dynamo, but the injuries have pushed him into a regular role in the defense. Graham didn't play a single defensive snap in Week 3
    Obviously going from Webb to Williams is a steep downgrade for covering the #1 receiver. However, we've gone from Cary Williams and Jimmy Smith in the #2 and #3 spots to Corey Graham and Chykie Brown which I think is an upgrade in both slots. I think Corey Graham's play has been speaking for itself and then I saw this over at ProFootbalFocus the other day "Nickel cornerback Chykie Brown has 0.83 Yards per Coverage Snap, which is the fourth-lowest in the league, behind Bradley Fletcher, Lardarius Webb and Nate Clements".

You can also factor in that Gronkowski is out and it wouldn't be crazy to think that maybe our secondary will play better than Week 3.

Blog Entries

Re: So I was kind of down because we don't have Webb like we did in week 3...then I read this

Chykie has been struggling a bit lately, but Jimmy's play on ST could lead to him pushing for playing time in the secondary again.

Jimmy Smith as the #3 isn't a bad thing.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Blog Entries

Re: So I was kind of down because we don't have Webb like we did in week 3...then I read this

IIRC one of the reasons Graham came to Baltimore was a promise that he'd have a chance to compete for a starting job at CB. Similar situation with BA a few years before--he was itching to play some snaps at LB in addition to ST, the Ravens offered him the opportunity & he signed here.

Quote Originally Posted by Shambla View Post
    I ventured over to Grantland since Bill Barnwell loves us so much and came across this article.

I was happy to read this section:

Obviously going from Webb to Williams is a steep downgrade for covering the #1 receiver. However, we've gone from Cary Williams and Jimmy Smith in the #2 and #3 spots to Corey Graham and Chykie Brown which I think is an upgrade in both slots. I think Corey Graham's play has been speaking for itself and then I saw this over at ProFootbalFocus the other day "Nickel cornerback Chykie Brown has 0.83 Yards per Coverage Snap, which is the fourth-lowest in the league, behind Bradley Fletcher, Lardarius Webb and Nate Clements".

You can also factor in that Gronkowski is out and it wouldn't be crazy to think that maybe our secondary will play better than Week 3.
    Graham was a great pickup and may have saved our season.

Red face Re: So I was kind of down because we don't have Webb like we did in week 3...then I read this

You know for all of the talk about Ozzie letting good defensive player walk and the struggle of drafting defensive player in recent years he surely has found quality gems through free agency at good value. Pollard and graham immediately come to mind but think about ihegidbo as well. Graham is a absolute stud. How long did we sign him for because he could be looking at decently sized contract as well. How much longer do we have for pollard because he's in the same boat. I also have a question of how do we get out I'd cap hell? I know most of our money is tied up in suggs, ngata,rice, and soon to be flacco, a well as big contrcts to Boldin jones and leach. They just seem like suck integral pieces that we won't have any room for a long time? But back on topic graham has been a great surprise and brown playing extended snaps had been phenomenal as a former 5th? Round pick.

Blog Entries

I think Graham was signed for more than just depth this year. Oz was probably thinking about not being able to keep Williams. Graham gives them a veteran guy (if not veteran CB) to compete with Smith and Brown for the 2 and nickel spots next year.

Ihedigbo has been a lot better than I thought he would be.

The signing of Corey Graham and the elevation of his play somewhat makes up for the Foxworth contract.
    After 5 years of early exits, the journey is finally complete.