Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Re: Joe Flacco's price has certainly gone up.

I think we should give Joe about a 7 year deal. That way he will complete his 12th season by the end of the contract, and if he is still playing at a high level and can stay healthy, then we could probably sign him to another 7 year contract with options built in after the first few years for us to keep him or cut him or for him to retire. If he can live out that contract, he'll have played 19 seasons, which is approaching Favre-like proportions, but if any QB is set to be able to accomplish something like that, it's Flacco.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    The TD pass to Boldin in the Giants game (was about 20-30 yards IIRC) was down the left sideline.
    Quote Originally Posted by saintmatthew View Post
    Pretty sure I saw plenty of deep passes to the center of the field. Season opener vs. Cincy comes to mind.
    He said tendencies not exclusively.

How many deep balls were to the left in the Broncos game, or the Colts game?

Quote Originally Posted by Paintballguy View Post
    I'm sticking by my 6 year 100 mil prediction.
    I've heard that that is what they've already offered him, but he didn't like the structure of the money.

Now, if he continues playing well, that may just be the starting point.
    “Talk's cheap - let’s go play.” - #19, Johnny Unitas

Follow me on Twitter @ravenssalarycap

Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post

I do not know the stats, but I would think most deep throws in the NFL would be down the right sideline because that is the strong saftey side. It is #1 WR side and the natural first read for right handed QBs. Also it is going to be the longest run for the FS.

Joe has hit every throw out there and gone deep to every target, so teams may try to play the tendancy, but can not afford to over commit.

:T2:

Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post

Yeah, but you said "But one thing he brought has still be true - he only throws deep balls to the right side of the field..."

Blog Entries

Yeah, but you said "But one thing he brought has still be true - he only throws deep balls to the right side of the field..."
    For the sake of brevity I didn't spell it out, my bad.

So his tendencies and numbers are much better to his right than left. I would hope/like he approves in this if he is getting top 5 money.

Just because the numbers to the right are higher than the left doesn't mean that's the "tendency".

Play calling, dropped passes, etc can all account for why there are more throws / catches on the right than left.

For it to be a tendency, IMO, there would have to be a disproportionately lower number to the left as well.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Just because the numbers to the right are higher than the left doesn't mean that's the "tendency".

Play calling, dropped passes, etc can all account for why there are more throws / catches on the right than left.

For it to be a tendency, IMO, there would have to be a disproportionately lower number to the left as well.
    I don't know the numbers. Trent Dilfer and was talking about the numbers. Fletcher was talking about the tendencies he noticed on the game tape.

It could all be nothing, I am just going of memory and remembering he does throw deep balls to the right more. As far as tendencies, that's always been the knock on Joe, not sure how much he's improving on it but I think he has improved.

All passes over 10 yards from PFF.com (3 zones)

Outside the numbers, left: 18 / 62 / 377 / 5 / 0 -- 79.3
    Between: 38 / 71 / 973 / 9 / 1 -- 132.4
    Outside the numbers, right: 38 / 77 / 930 / 5 / 4 -- 93.53

ESPN uses 5 zones IIRC.

I have no numbers to contribute, but my eyeballs and memory would support the idea that Joe goes deep far more often to the right side than the left. One of the Denver defenders (can't remember which) was even quoted as saying they had believed this was a tendency of Joe's. The irony, of course, is that they were completely unable to do anything about it last Saturday.

One of the reasons Joe goes deep right more than left is very simple: Torrey Smith usually lines up on the right.

Now, that tendency changed a little bit in Denver, where Torrey lined up on both the left and right about equally. But generally Torrey is on the right and he's got I believe the deepest average depth of target in the NFL at something like 20 yards downfield. Very few receivers are targeted on average even CLOSE to that far downfield.

Another factor is that the right side is usually the strong side, where the TE is lined up. Joe probably reads the right side of the field first looking for Pitta on a shorter route or Torrey on a longer route. If the longer route is there he's going to take a shot at it, if it's not he'll move to Dennis then to the left side of the field. Because Torrey and Dennis both get open more consistently than Boldin they represent both safer and more efficient options.

It's interesting that despite all that, Boldin leads the team in catches by a good amount, both on the season and in the postseason thus far. I think he's most effective in the second half after teams put more emphasis on taking Torrey and Dennis away.

Pretty sure I saw plenty of deep passes to the center of the field. Season opener vs. Cincy comes to mind.
    Yeah, not to mention the bomb to Torrey in the last game was in the center as well.