Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Exorcise the Demons: Lee Evans

As the Ravens prepare to head back to Foxborough this weekend, one of the enduring images from last year’s game is wide receiver Lee Evans having the game-winning touchdown pass popped out of his grasp by Patriots defender Sterling Moore. Two plays later, kicker Billy Cundiff missed a game-tying 32-yard field goal attempt.

That was Evans’ final play in a Ravens uniform and may have been the last play of his NFL career. He was cut by the Ravens after the season and failed to make another team’s roster coming out of training camp.

A year after the most heartbreaking play of his career – and perhaps in Ravens history – Evans is at peace with how things ended.

"Last year put a lot of things in perspective for me, being around all those guys and seeing the way that organization is and what they believe," Evans told ESPN reporter Elizabeth Merrill. "It was a tremendous challenge for me, mentally and physically, and I think I've been able to grow a ton. I wouldn't change that for anything."

Evans, who still lives in the Baltimore area, has a picture of the play hanging in his house. It’s a daily reminder of humility.

"I do think about it," Evans says. "I don't think about it in a negative way, though. Right after the play, I went to the [PR] guy and basically asked him to get me a picture of it. Give me a picture of that moment, so I have it. I wanted it as a constant reminder to keep pushing, to keep going.

"I look at that picture, and basically I ask myself, 'Do I want another opportunity to do that again?'"

After last year’s game, Evans stood up in the Ravens locker room and faced the media to take the blame for the loss.

"It was an opportunity to go to the Super Bowl, and I let it go,” Evans said at the time.

He even sought out linebacker Ray Lewis after the game by the Ravens’ busses. He wanted to apologize for costing the veteran another opportunity to make it to another Super Bowl late in his career.

Lewis wouldn’t let him apologize. Instead, he offered words of encouragement.

"It's all about the journey," Evans said. "It's all about the path to get there. Obviously, it takes you to places sometimes you don't expect to be.

"Ray felt like what we had there was something real, and if it's supposed to be, it's going to happen. He felt that this team is built to be a champion. He had a real sense and a real tangible attitude that they were going to be right back where we were next year with the same opportunity."
    http://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/...b-7c2ddadb70ad

That is some eerie prognostication by #52.

Re: Exorcise the Demons: Lee Evans

As hard as it was for we as fans to endure that, I can't imagine how Evans felt. Interesting to see he still lives in the area though.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Justlovemybirds View Post
    As hard as it was for we as fans to endure that, I can't imagine how Evans felt. Interesting to see he still lives in the area though.
    Yeah I would think he would go back to Buffalo or wherever he is originally from. Maybe he really likes Baltimore? Kind of weird.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bt12483 View Post
    Yeah I would think he would go back to Buffalo or wherever he is originally from. Maybe he really likes Baltimore? Kind of weird.
    I thought he was a midwest guy. I know he played at Wisconsin. I think he's from Ohio or Indiana or Wisconsin. I'm also surprised that he stayed in Baltimore.

Very good article. Must be a tough thing to live with.

Blog Entries

Two choke artists in denial.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    I thought he was a midwest guy. I know he played at Wisconsin. I think he's from Ohio or Indiana or Wisconsin. I'm also surprised that he stayed in Baltimore.
    I know he wasn't here for very long (not long enough to put down some roots)... But, Baltimore ain't a bad place to be... I'm from Michigan, lived in California and Georgia in my mid/late 20's. I've been in Bmore for 15 years. I loved it immediately. I've been telling myself it's time to move on because of work related issues.... but Damn! Every time some job catches my eye and I start the interview process (Twice now over the past few years), I really start to question my desire to leave...

I'm still here.

Maybe Lee Evans has kids in school, likes his house and neighbors. All it takes is happy kids in good schools, and one good friend to keep you here.
    Last edited by MinnesotaRaven; 01-17-2013 at 11:46 AM.

Hope the Ravens give Evans a reason to go to NO this year. And I hope the Ravens buy the ticket.

Quote Originally Posted by alienrace View Post
    Very good article. Must be a tough thing to live with.
    I don't know. I'n some respects yes... I bet the media (and teammates) were tougher to face and deal with than the actual play itself in his memory. But man.... as fans we usually take things so much harder than the players. I know they are pros, but at the end of the day it's just a game to most of them. Once the play/game is over.... you move on to the next thing.

Some guys here were Ex College ball players. Anyone here play pro ball or any sport professionally? I'd love their opinion on this. I know I've said this before and maybe I'm alone and maybe I lacked intensity... I wrestled at a high level in college. I've won a lot of matches, and lost a few, big matches. At the end of the day I felt no pain, no heartbreak. I left it all on the mat (or field for these players). That's all you can do, and you let the chips fall (or the ball bounces) were they will.

As a fan... I feel so much more of the emotional highs and lows with wins and losses in respect to the Ravens than I ever did as an athlete.

Blog Entries

At the end of the day he is still loaded with $$...to me that would make any bitter pill easier to swallow.

I am also convinced a large portion of fans take it harder than the players. We know some players don;t even care and play for the $$.

The fans usually were born and raised in the town. The players come from all over and merely adopt it. The fans have lived through the history and all of the ups and downs. The players only see a snapshot.

This is the OT we never got a chance at. An opportunity to redemption. Lets make the best of it.
    Way Down South in New Orleans

Blog Entries

The end of last year's game...I seriously felt like I got punched in the gut. And it lingered for days. Maybe even stretched into a week or two. I shut off all media.

I mean WTF...back-to-back heartbreaking plays? Really? Really!? One is bad enough.

On the flip side the "FBomb" made me feel all warm and cozy inside, like after a satisfying meal.

I just want to beat these MFer's in their own house again and march onto the SB. The mighty Manning and Brady conquered. Ed Reed's hometown is NO...you know he wants it.

And seriously...is another SB really going to do anything for the 2000 era Pat's legacy? We get it guys, you are really good. The only thing it will prove is they can win a SB after being busted for cheating. We are talking about a minimal change to their legacy IMO. Whereas for us, it could be career defining for Flacco, Rice, Boldin, Suggs, Ngata and Reed, and another notch on Lewis's stellar career belt.