Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Re: The Arc on Joe's ball.

Quote Originally Posted by conviction View Post
    It still gives me goosebumps. After that playoffs were unreal, I had emotional certainty no one could stop us.
    At the end of the game i turned to my Roost president (50 of us watched the game together) and said 'After that i think the Ravens might have just become invincible'. He agreed.

I still think that maybe the arcing Flacco to Jones throws in the Denver and SB games may have been designed plays. Maybe not the Denver game, but definitely the TD pass in the SB. I think they figured out that the angle might fake out the defenders, but Jones would see it because he's a return guy and he's used to it. Throw in some deception on Jones' come-back pattern and you've set a pretty good trap. Just a theory, but you've got to admit those two throws and catches were very much alike. The fake-out on the defenders was equally effective on both plays as well.
    Twenty years of Cheers.
    Thanks Baltimore Ravens Fans - You're the Best!

Quote Originally Posted by Real Fan Dan View Post
    At the end of the game i turned to my Roost president (50 of us watched the game together) and said 'After that i think the Ravens might have just become invincible'. He agreed.

I still think that maybe the arcing Flacco to Jones throws in the Denver and SB games may have been designed plays. Maybe not the Denver game, but definitely the TD pass in the SB. I think they figured out that the angle might fake out the defenders, but Jones would see it because he's a return guy and he's used to it. Throw in some deception on Jones' come-back pattern and you've set a pretty good trap. Just a theory, but you've got to admit those two throws and catches were very much alike. The fake-out on the defenders was equally effective on both plays as well.
    I've been making that same arguement to people at work. They must have worked on it. No other way to explain both passes being thrown like rainbows, falling nose down like that.
    Master of 'Gifs for dummies'

"The world called for wetwork, and we answered. No greater good. No just cause." - Kazuhira Miller

Quote Originally Posted by Dade View Post
    I've been making that same arguement to people at work. They must have worked on it. No other way to explain both passes being thrown like rainbows, falling nose down like that.
    Well the throw in Denver, Flacco explained it - he said that he had to arc it because Von Miller was in his face.

The throw in the SB he was on the run, and didn't really offer an explanation.

4. Re: The Arc on Joe's ball.

Quote Originally Posted by alienrace View Post
    Well the throw in Denver, Flacco explained it - he said that he had to arc it because Von Miller was in his face.

The throw in the SB he was on the run, and didn't really offer an explanation.
    He may very well have been telling the truth after the Denver game, but if you've got a new secret weapon play that you think might fake the pants off of every Tom, Dick and Harry that suits up, you just might have a prepared explanation for the inevitable media queries that will most def be asked after everybody pulls their pants back up. ;)
    Twenty years of Cheers.
    Thanks Baltimore Ravens Fans - You're the Best!

Quote Originally Posted by Filmstudy View Post
    Oops...I see someone else already did a really nice job on the physics.
    I was going to suggest we may have a candidate to contribute sidebar pieces to your weekly columns.

this is another good one...

start at the 5 minute mark..
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALqQ2...ture=endscreen

Rereading this thread it jumped out at me that the arc distance I have in the sketchup drawing had to be off.
    I opened the drawing back up and noticed the 202' length was just to the highest peak of the arc.
    Stupid mistake on my part.
    I cleaned it up a bit and added both parts of the arc and get 86.5 yds which is in line with what CptJesus came up with.

Last edited by Baltimoreboy; 03-01-2013 at 10:07 PM.

I graduated from Poly's "A course" (way back in '81) with 3 semesters of calculus and the infamous Mr. Mann's physics class under my belt and would NEVER IN A MILLION YEARS be able to even begin to sketch this out. This is one of my all time favorite geeky threads.

I fully expect to see this discussion enacted on a future episode of The Big Bang Theory.

:respect

Quote Originally Posted by Baltimoreboy View Post
    Rereading this thread it jumped out at me that the arc distance I have in the sketchup drawing had to be off.
    I opened the drawing back up and noticed the 202' length was just to the highest peak of the arc.
    Stupid mistake on my part.
    I cleaned it up a bit and added both parts of the arc and get 86.5 yds which is in line with what CptJesus came up with.

Yay, my math has been validated.