Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Re: The Arc on Joe's ball.

Quote Originally Posted by Baltimoreboy View Post
    The ball traveled about 54 yds
    (49.3776) meters.

Don't understand the rest :)
    Apparently, I cant convert. That makes more sense.

After recalculating, I get an arc length of 74.551 meters, or about 81 yards. Sounds about right.
    Last edited by CptJesus; 01-14-2013 at 06:21 PM.

I'm sure if Manning threw that (which he would have to throw it 3 times) or Ben would of thrown it , it would be known as the greatest pass ever thrown.

Apparently Joe is at the same California Pizza Kitchen where my friend is. I tried to get him to tell Flacco we calculated the arc length of his throw, but he said no =(

Quote Originally Posted by RedSkins Fury View Post
    I found this on line... length of the arc is = angle/360 x 2 x pi x r
    Just call it the "Mile high rainbow"

5. Re: The Arc on Joe's ball.

It went far enough, that's all that matters! Unbelievable arm.

Quote Originally Posted by CptJesus View Post
    I'm not sure if my calculations are off or theirs are, but we're getting 2 different values.

Also:
    This is the funniest thing i have seen in many, many moons. Literal LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by myfavoriteboxer View Post
    I love that he dropped it in there like a punt, which is perfect for Jones, who is a not-the-most-assured receiver, but quite good as a punt/kick returner. Smith or Boldin might've been able to make a contested catch, although Boldin wouldn't have gotten as far downfield (not to mention open), and Smith would've been the obvious choice and even Moore would've probably figured out to play over the top on a deep route from Smith. It was a perfect play. Moore isn't out of position because he's a total dumbass. He's watching Smith down the left sideline, Boldin and Pitta toward the middle, and just got juked by a guy who had good speed but hadn't caught a pass all day.
    Great post, really good points.
    My Ravens Blog: Brittany Rants About Football
    Ravens-Redskins: Dissecting the Final Drive

"The days are long. But the years are short." - John Harbaugh

8. Re: The Arc on Joe's ball.

This is my first post on this forum; my dad directed me to this thread and I’ve taken an interest. First off, great game, great throw.

I decided to code a computer simulation of Flacco’s throw that takes into account drag and gravity as the primary forces acting on the ball. Once the acceleration was determined, I used the kinematic equations to find the velocity and position of the ball at the next time step. I’ll refrain from going in depth about the calculations and assumptions I used and just give you results…

Results:
    Hang Time: 3.21 seconds (people were saying 3.2 seconds)
    Distance: 58.9 Yards
    Maximum Height: 13.8 Yards

I have to just say I think this stands as one of the most impressive threads I've seen on here in a good while. Kudos to all of you participating in it.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PWD75032 View Post
    This is my first post on this forum; my dad directed me to this thread and I’ve taken an interest. First off, great game, great throw.

I decided to code a computer simulation of Flacco’s throw that takes into account drag and gravity as the primary forces acting on the ball. Once the acceleration was determined, I used the kinematic equations to find the velocity and position of the ball at the next time step. I’ll refrain from going in depth about the calculations and assumptions I used and just give you results…

Results:
    Maybe it just me, but it seems that it went further than that?

Quote Originally Posted by PWD75032 View Post

Results:
    I'm interested to see your numbers. I posted the equations I used earlier on, take a look and tell me what you did differently, because my numbers are completely different.

He means 59 years along the ground (or longitudinal distance in his plot).

PWD, any way you can figure the total distance traveled along the arc of the ball?