Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Re: OT: WTF did Michael Irvin just say?

Quote Originally Posted by ActualSpamBot View Post
    This is a discussion. People are making themselves understood, joking a bit to keep it light, and working toward consensus even as we acknowledge that true agreement is unlikely.

Just because it's not 6 pages of people agreeing with you doesn't mean it's a bad discussion.
    I didn't expect it would be people agreeing with me. I expected people having a discussion, but when the discussion turns into "who cares what so-and-so says?" It starts to not be a good discussion. I obviously care or I wouldn't have started the thread.

For the record, I like Michael Irvin.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HKusp View Post
    I didn't expect it would be people agreeing with me. I expected people having a discussion, but when the discussion turns into "who cares what so-and-so says?" It starts to not be a good discussion. I obviously care or I wouldn't have started the thread.

For the record, I like Michael Irvin.

Let me be clear HKusp, the reason why I "don't care" and don't understand why you or anyone else would care is because it is Michael Effin Irvin. This isn't Obama or someone of actual importance saying questionable things on air. This is Michael Irvin. Frankly, I'm surprised he doesn't say more things like that. He isn't intelligent. The only reason he has a job is because of who he is and he brings color (no pun intended) commentary to talking about the NFL.

Tom Jackson, Tony Dungy, and even Keyshawn Johnson are all black men on sports TV and they bring a fair amount of knowledge and intellect to the table. They joke around, but they are aware that they are being viewed by millions of people while commenting on the NFL. Michael Strahan even could be added into this group. I think it would be more of a head-scratcher if one of those guys said something like that on TV because that isn't how they have historically acted. In fact, I'd argue that they probably never would say something along those lines because they actually care about being taken seriously. Michael Irvin, regardless of what he may say, obviously has no intentions of ever really being taken seriously. So, why be offended by all of the dumb that tumbles out of his mouth? Michael Irvin has been that way since he was on the Cowboys.

You have Dave Chappelle as your signature line right now. That guy has made fun of all races and made racist comments in public, on TV (comedy central, for instance), yet no one seems to get up in arms about that. Why? Because he's a comedian and in context, it isn't offensive.

There is a big difference between what Rob Parker said and what Michael Irvin said. What Parker said was hateful, judgmental, and flat out mean. What Irvin said was meant to be in jest and not be taken too seriously. Parker wanted to have his comments be taken seriously. There is a difference there. I'd hope that you can see that.
    Last edited by wickedsolo; 01-15-2013 at 02:58 PM.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    Two wrongs don't make a right, do they?

The problem with affirmative action is it perpetuates racism. Take the "Rooney Rule" for example, saying you have to interview at least one minority does few things. 1) It says you're not good enough to get an interview on your qualifications and knowledge alone 2) It also says no one will interview/hire you unless we force them to, because they're racist (what other option is there)? 3) It makes racism more of an issue simply by having the rule - just having the rule will lead people to talk about it (obviously) so there must be racism, right?

As to the topic of this thread. What Irvin said, doesn't necessarily mean he's racist. The problem with what he said is he just labeled all his friends in Miami as racist.

Personally, I am not offended with what he said, but it's not okay he said it. The OP has a point, if a white guy said it he'd be fired. We'll never move on from racism as long as a double standard like this exist.

Spot on.
    I'm not telling black people to "get over it", I'm telling them to "move beyond it" and "get out of their own way".

The common expression in MD is "pulling eachother down like Crabs in a pot" and it couldn't be much more right. People like Michael Irvin drag you down while people like RGIII are trying to pull you out. RGIII couldn't have been more right,stop looking at him and comparing him to black QB's, compare him to QB's... THe NAACP served it's point in history, and is now simply dragging the black man down. Affirmative action served it's point, and is now only dragging the black man down. It's time for everyoe to look beyondrace and into the "content of one's character" as the good doctor explained about 50 years ago. Only then will equal footing be achieved.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Let me be clear HKusp, the reason why I "don't care" and don't understand why you or anyone else would care is because it is Michael Effin Irvin. This isn't Obama or someone of actual importance saying questionable things on air. This is Michael Irvin. Frankly, I'm surprised he doesn't say more things like that. He isn't intelligent. The only reason he has a job is because of who he is and he brings color (no pun intended) commentary to talking about the NFL.

Tom Jackson, Tony Dungy, and even Keyshawn Johnson are all black men on sports TV and they bring a fair amount to the table. I think it would be more of a head-scratcher if one of those guys said something like that on TV because that isn't how they have historically acted.

Michael Irvin has been that way since he was on the Cowboys.

You have Dave Chappelle as your signature line right now. That guy has made fun of all races and made racist comments in public, on TV (comedy central, for instance), yet no one seems to get up in arms about that. Why? Because he's a comedian and in context, it isn't offensive.

There is a big difference between what Rob Parker said and what Michael Irvin said. What Parker said was hateful, judgmental, and flat out mean. What Irvin said was meant to be in jest and not be taken too seriously. Parker wanted to have his comments be taken seriously. There is a difference there. I'd hope that you can see that.
    You Sir, win the Interwebs. Well said.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    Spot on.
    I'm not telling black people to "get over it", I'm telling them to "move beyond it" and "get out of their own way".

The common expression in MD is "pulling eachother down like Crabs in a pot" and it couldn't be much more right. People like Michael Irvin drag you down while people like RGIII are trying to pull you out. RGIII couldn't have been more right,stop looking at him and comparing him to black QB's, compare him to QB's... THe NAACP served it's point in history, and is now simply dragging the black man down. Affirmative action served it's point, and is now only dragging the black man down. It's time for everyoe to look beyondrace and into the "content of one's character" as the good doctor explained about 50 years ago. Only then will equal footing be achieved.
    Bill Cosby has been saying that for at least 30 years.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    You Sir, win the Interwebs. Well said.

I thank you sir.

Bill Cosby is absolutely my favorite comedian of all time.

And unfortunately has been lambasted by many in the black community.
    “Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people.”

–Eleanor Roosevelt

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    Bill Cosby is absolutely my favorite comedian of all time.
    He is definitely one of mine. I've met him a couple of times too. Very, very nice man.

Quote Originally Posted by Sirdowski View Post
    And unfortunately has been lambasted by many in the black community.
    Absolutely true and incredibly sad, IMO.

I remember watching a seminar of his where he was talking to a student body (I think it may have been Grambling or something) and he said something along the lines of he was disappointed in the black community - as a whole - because things like affirmative action, welfare, and other government subsidized funding won't actually help the black community. He said that eventually he hopes that black Americans will have enough confidence in themselves and their own abilities that they won't need hand outs.

He got boo'ed.

He is definitely one of mine. I've met him a couple of times too. Very, very nice man.

Absolutely true and incredibly sad, IMO.

I remember watching a seminar of his where he was talking to a student body (I think it may have been Grambling or something) and he said something along the lines of he was disappointed in the black community - as a whole - because things like affirmative action, welfare, and other government subsidized funding won't actually help the black community. He said that eventually he hopes that black Americans will have enough confidence in themselves and their own abilities that they won't need hand outs.

He got boo'ed.
    Because hand outs are soft bigotry, plain and simple. What that says is, you can't do without help from someone else and some people are too ignorant to even realize it Having low expectations is the same as saying that you are unable to achieve.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by HKusp View Post
    Because hand outs are soft bigotry, plain and simple. What that says is, you can't do without help from someone else and some people are too ignorant to even realize it Having low expectations is the same as saying that you are unable to achieve.
    You wont hear any argument from me on that.

I dont like hand outs for anyone...white black purple...whoever.

You make your own and you own it.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Forum Runner

SuggsKill Guest

Never though Irvin was that funny anyway.