Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

FILMSTUDY: A closer look at Paul Kruger's best career game

Kruger turned in his best game as a professional. Let’s review:

(Q1, 14:14) He lined up at LDE and worked across the line to take down Hilton for a gain of 1 on a WR screen left.

(Q1, 8:41) He beat Allen inside for pressure but Chykie Brown’s illegal contact negated the incomplete pass.

(Q1, 3:52) He seemed blocked around the pocket by Winston Justice, but reached back to dislodge the football from Luck. McPhee recovered to end a drive that had covered 62 yards and 5 first downs.

(Q1, 0:56) He bulled Sowell directly into Luck, knocking him down to record a QH

(Q2, 3:47) Graham came from the OLS with a jump cut inside past Costanzo and made initial contact. Meanwhile, Kruger rushed from a 9 technique (set up well wide of where a TE would normally set), rendering Sowell’s hands useless with a swipe as he moved past him on the outside to clean up Luck for the shared sack.

(Q2, 0:31) Kruger took a step forward, then dropped back to a short-zone coverage on the left side and batted down a pass intended for Avery. Williams was alone with Avery and a little soft which might have resulted in a big play had it not been for the PD.

(Q2, 0:12) Kruger had coverage on Fleener who slid to the left sideline some 10 yards downfield. Luck threw for Hilton, 17 yards downfield near the left numbers. Kruger peeled off, but overran the play and Williams was very soft, which allowed the speedster 8 YAC to set up Vinatieri’s half-ending FG.

(Q3, 10:23) He had a great jump from another wide 2-point stance. Sowell couldn’t touch him until he was even with him on the outside with his left foot firmly planted. A shove at that point was futile as Kruger moved by on an unaltered path for the 8-yard sack. Comically, McGlynn and Sowell had their hands up asking for the roughing the passer flag as Luck hit the ground hard and several Ravens dove in for the loose football. There should be an NFL equivalent for Smokey the Bear (“Only you can prevent QB concussions”).

(Q4, 13:21) He rushed himself out of position on Ballard’s 24-yard run right. With the edge lost, Ballard outraced Brown up the sideline.

(Q4, 12:40) He set up wide left in a 3-point stance. Ngata stunted outside and over the inside move of Kruger as part of a play designed to create an opportunity for Haloti. However, Kruger bulled through the double from Costanzo and Linkenbach to register another QH before Ngata could arrive. Luck threw incomplete.

(Q4, 3:37) It must be nice to be Paul Kruger and have your team up by 15 late. I’m sure he was pretty much free to set up in whatever manner had the best chance to get pressure. He lined up in a 3-point stance very wide on the OLS, took 2 stutter steps towards Costanzo then swiped his hands away as he moved by on the inside to knock down Luck again. Luck overthrew an open Wayne 16 yards down the left sideline.

(Q4, 3:33) The Ravens overloaded the left side with Graham and Ellerbe picked up by Costanzo and Linkenbach, respectively. Kruger stunted inside and was untouched by the befuddled Satele. Unfortunately, Luck slipped free, rolled out, and threw incomplete to Hilton near the right sideline. There Pollard let one of the Gatorade twerps get the best of him and was flagged for taunting.

For more defensive analysis of the Wild Card Game against Indianapolis and a close look at Ray Lewis' last dance click HERE
    Follow me on Twitter @RSRLombardi

Blog Entries

Re: FILMSTUDY: A closer look at Paul Kruger's best career game

If we can get Flacco to sign before FA and not have to use the tag on him, maybe we could use the franchise tag on Kruger?

No. He's not worth the almost 10 mil it'd cost. And there's no way we fit them both under the cap.

Blog Entries

I wouldn't get your hopes up leach, either OLB or DE tags are going to be hella expensive, in the neighborhood of 9 mil or more. Here's an unofficial list: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...-cap-near-121m

We might end up with same issue we had with Suggs a few years ago too, where Suggs split time between DE and OLB, and the tag number for a DE is higher by about 1.5 mil. So if we tag Kruger as a LB, he may protest it like Suggs did and we end up either going to "arbitration" or having to cut a deal like we did with Suggs and pay him right down the middle (Which would be 10.22 mil)
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by arnie_uk View Post
    No. He's not worth the almost 10 mil it'd cost. And there's no way we fit them both under the cap.
    LB's don't actually cost that much to tag, Kruger is a LB not a DE. It's like 5-6 mill for a LB I think.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag View Post
    I wouldn't get your hopes up leach, either OLB or DE tags are going to be hella expensive, in the neighborhood of 9 mil or more. Here's an unofficial list: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...-cap-near-121m

We might end up with same issue we had with Suggs a few years ago too, where Suggs split time between DE and OLB, and the tag number for a DE is higher by about 1.5 mil. So if we tag Kruger as a LB, he may protest it like Suggs did and we end up either going to "arbitration" or having to cut a deal like we did with Suggs and pay him right down the middle (Which would be 10.22 mil)
    The Cowboys tagged Spencer for around 6 mill I believe, he plays the exact same position as Kruger.

EDIT: It's around 8.8 million, we probably wont be able to afford that.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    The Cowboys tagged Spencer for around 6 mill I believe, he plays the exact same position as Kruger.

Those tags go up year to year, especially if a guy plays on the tag, because you replace the lowest salary with a "median" top 5 salary.

Our only real shot with Kruger is to hope that the "Contract Year" stigma causes most teams to balance their offer to him, so the Ravens have a shot of giving him a fair deal.

I'll say this, and it comes with a caveat that we have no idea...but if Hamilton is truly a decent enough pass rusher to stick next year, Kruger is a luxury considering Upshaw on the roster. Upshaw isn't his level yet, but you just made a significant investment in him, so you expect him to be a starter. Suggs, Kruger, and Upshaw can't all start.

To me, you focus on retaining Ellerbe at ILB, make a "qualifying" offer to Kruger and hope he signs.

Remember, we all counted the Ravens out in re-signing Yanda two years ago...
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Blog Entries

Damn shame that he's finally coming into his stride before his contract is up. Hope he keeps ballin' to the end! You never know, Oz could figure out a way to keep him around

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

LB's don't actually cost that much to tag, Kruger is a LB not a DE. It's like 5-6 mill for a LB I think.
    I'd check your figures there.

They'll do whatever they can to keep Kruger. He's going to be a new cornerstone player.

Blog Entries

Spencer isn't nearly as good of a pass rusher as Kruger is. That's the difference. On paper they may play the same position, but let's be real here...they don't.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

will Kruger be a UFA or a RFA?