Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Jimmy Smith - How to get value from that 1st pick

I was looking at the field on Sunday at our DB's, and we have Lardarius Webb on IR, Cary Williams, Corey Graham and Chykie Brown all playing significant minutes. I didn't see 22 on the field much, if at all. He is a very disappointing 1st round pick.

With the likely retirement or cap casualty of Ed Reed next year, does Jimmy Smith have the ability to be a ball hawk safety who has come cover skills? Or..........is that just a Travis Taylor style rare 1st round disappointment? Can the guy actually play?

Re: Jimmy Smith - How to get value from that 1st pick

He can play, has the most talent of any DB on the team athletically. Problem is he cant stay healthy for stretches, then loses confidence as a result. Missed half of last season, no TC. Then had problems this year as well. He needs time I think. He could be a S as well. Not worried about him yet, but next season will be big for him. Bonus is how well Graham and Brown has played(Brown was a 5th round or 6th pick I beleive)= so they got great value from that. Like Oher was a first rounder, but Yanda is way better, it doesnt matter where you are drafted as long as you become a good player. People were worried about Kruger too, but look how he turned out.

He still is not 100% from a sports hernia. Jimmy is a press CB. We do not play press all the time.

Not bad for a RUNNING BACK!!! Now that is funny.
    #FIREROMAN

Quote Originally Posted by RavensQB View Post
    He still is not 100% from a sports hernia. Jimmy is a press CB. We do not play press all the time.
    Actually, he isn't a press CB. He has been quoted as saying he doesn't like tp play that style. I think we see his physical gifts ( tall, strong, fast enough ) and think he should be a press CB. I think ultimately for him to succeed in this league he will have to adapt to being a press CB. Can he do that? well, hopefully the injuries will stop and we can find out.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BIGBALL View Post
    Actually, he isn't a press CB. He has been quoted as saying he doesn't like tp play that style. I think we see his physical gifts ( tall, strong, fast enough ) and think he should be a press CB. I think ultimately for him to succeed in this league he will have to adapt to being a press CB. Can he do that? well, hopefully the injuries will stop and we can find out.
    Id like to see that quote, because ive heard him in a game literally begging to play press. Also, in college, thats mostly what he did, to great effectiveness.
    -JAB

Why do we keep re-hashing this argument? Based on what I've seen (and I'm no expert but I am a practiced amateur) I don't see a safety's skill set out of Jimmy. Physically, sure... he has the speed, tackling ability, and size. But you need to be more than a 6'2 210 athlete with great wheels to be a good centerfielder.

I just don't see the kind of route recognition, awareness, and instincts that you need out of a great free safety. The same things that make Jimmy a bad corner right now would make him a terrible safety--he doesn't see the route as it develops, he doesn't know how to play the ball, and he too frequently takes himself out of plays with bad positioning and bad angles.

Imagine having a guy with no instincts sitting 15 yards off the ball watching the receivers and the QB's eyes trying to figure out how the play is developing, where to position yourself in zone coverage, and when and where to break on the ball as it's released. He would be getting burned on every play.

He needs to just sit right now and put 100% effort into learning the position and learning how to play football. He needs to get healthy, learn how to stay healthy, and start trusting his body and trusting his instincts. He's just not ready at this point and I don't know when he will be. But when he starts showing improvement in the mental aspects of the game then we can discuss a move to FS, although I still think he's a better CB.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    Id like to see that quote, because ive heard him in a game literally begging to play press. Also, in college, thats mostly what he did, to great effectiveness.
    I'd like to see it too. I've seen and heard exactly the same things that you have.

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    I'd like to see it too. I've seen and heard exactly the same things that you have.
    Couldn't find it exactly, but did find others on another board discussing it. Here's what they had to say:

"His attitude is the main problem. Guy thinks his **** doesn't stink and has yet to do anything to warrant that arrogant attitude. He doesn't study film the way he should and he hates playing press coverage. He was on 105.7 saying he doesn't like press coverage. Rob long said smith told him he didn't play press in college and doesn't want to now.he told rob he likes to play off the receiver and try to make a play on the ball."

Again, this is someone else relaying second-hand info, but it looks as though others have heard the same thing about Jimmy's aversion to press.

Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    JAB

I cannot remember where I read it, thought it may actually have been in the Sun. I was a bit surprised by it as well. To further confuse it, I thought it may have said he didn't play that coverage much in college? I didn't watch him in college, so I can't comment on that. I'll defer to you on that sir! Bottom line is - he needs to be playing a lot of press IMO!

Just saw Nest's post - guess that is where i heard it!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NestMinder View Post
    Couldn't find it exactly, but did find others on another board discussing it. Here's what they had to say:

"His attitude is the main problem. Guy thinks his **** doesn't stink and has yet to do anything to warrant that arrogant attitude. He doesn't study film the way he should and he hates playing press coverage. He was on 105.7 saying he doesn't like press coverage. Rob long said smith told him he didn't play press in college and doesn't want to now.he told rob he likes to play off the receiver and try to make a play on the ball."

Again, this is someone else relaying second-hand info, but it looks as though others have heard the same thing about Jimmy's aversion to press.
    Obviously they are going to need to see some improvement next season. Last week Boldin demolished Darius Butler. Butler was a high 2nd round pick of the Patriots not too long ago. After 2 seasons without any progress the Pats cut him right before his 3rd season. The Panthers claimed him but had no interest in bringing him back. The Colts are his 3rd team in 4 years. I doubt the Patriots regret their decision.

I doubt the Ravens will cut Smith since that really isn't their style. However, if he can't earn his spot he could get buried on the depth chart and really have no shot at a second contract here.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BIGBALL View Post

EDIT: Just seen GOTA's post. Looks like it's someone elses opinion. I'd like to see the actual transcript of him saying that.
    "What would you give for the man beside you?"

Blog Entries

you read the cary williams piece, its all on piss Pees, that's how he plays, bend but don't break, the more I see it Ed Reed is a liability now so they have to play that way paired with the play calling. Our corners are just about as big as seattles corners we should be in press coverage all day on wideouts, it worked with Chuck and we had the same set of DBs. Pees needs to be gone i haven't changed that song and I won't.