Quote Originally Posted by goodandfast View Post
I'm with you, but credit where credit is due: they're top ten in points allowed. At the end of the day that's all that matters. Given the lack of a true superstar defender this season, Pees gets a pass unless he takes the Mattison route and retires/moves to a college program.

These old school type coaches are better suited for the college game IMO. The preach fundamentals, lining up and beating the player across from you, as opposed to creatively scheming against the opponents scheme. The NFL is becoming more of a plug and play league, where teams who are te most successful have minimized the number of individual players that are essential for the team's overall success. That's why the Pats continued to have success when they were trotting WRs out to play CB.
They're actually tied with the Giants for 12th--344 points allowed in total, 21.5 per game. About 5 ppg more than each of the last four seasons.

I can't disagree with anything you're saying. And maybe with a healthier season things would have been better. I think the main thing is that I disagree with the 'bend-but-don't-break' philosophy which he seems to be a proponent of. I'd rather have a guy at DC whose goal is to get his defense off the field.