Page 5 of 45 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Black Monday

Re: Black Monday

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    Chris Ault is leaving Nevada. Ault has been one of the great offensive innovators in football over the past decade. A bunch of NFL teams are going to be interested in him as their OC. I really hope we're one of them. This guy really does things differently. It would be great to be on the cutting of offensive thinking for once.
    just read that, you think his style will suit joe?

Blog Entries

Ault is already 67 and IMO will probably go to San Francisco in some role if he goes to the NFL at all. Just a hunch...

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by arnie_uk View Post
    As harsh as I i've been on Joe recently, I really do think Joe can really strive under an innovative coach like Ault. Joe has special tools that any genius can make good use out of and get the best out of him. Chip Kelly is one of the guys you'd want coaching Joe, but sadly, he's going to be running for a HC job not an OC job.

Quote Originally Posted by bacchys View Post
    Rex is looking more and more like his father, and with the loss of Revis this year he couldn't even keep the defense up.
    The first part of this sentence may be correct, but the second part is completely wrong.

Moving on to us...everybody seems to think that Norv is going to go to the Jets to be their OC...I wonder if we will hold some interviews for the job after this week and after the first round game.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

PFT commenting on how the Bengals/Broncos coordinators may be looking at HC shots and being preoccupied. http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...-is-unfolding/

That's interesting. Certainly doesn't help those teams if the coordinators are thinking more about themselves than their team.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    The first part of this sentence may be correct, but the second part is completely wrong.

Moving on to us...everybody seems to think that Norv is going to go to the Jets to be their OC...I wonder if we will hold some interviews for the job after this week and after the first round game.
    If Jim Caldwell continues to call games like he did vs NYG, why change? He called a gameplan where we produced more than 500 yards of offense, when have the Ravens even ever done that before? Obviously we aren't going to be that good in every game in the play offs on offense, but it was very encouraging none the less.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    If Jim Caldwell continues to call games like he did vs NYG, why change? He called a gameplan where we produced more than 500 yards of offense, when have the Ravens even ever done that before? Obviously we aren't going to be that good in every game in the play offs on offense, but it was very encouraging none the less.
    I just wonder how much of that can be attributed to a weak Giants team that was also pummeled the week prior. I need to see more meaningful games (they may go with a vanilla plan this week).
    Unless the offense really clicks, I hope they keep all options open for the OC position

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

For one, Cam did that earlier this year against the Patriots.

I'm not saying exclude Caldwell from that position, and he should have a spot on the staff either way. But to act like he has the OC job sowed up after one game against one of the worst defenses in the NFL would not be smart at all IMHO. Even if they do well from here on out, it's way too small of a sample size to give him the job.

Have him interview for it if he wants it (and frankly, if the stories about him suggesting Hostler or another coach call the plays are true, I don't know that it's really something that important to him), and bring in a couple other guys as well.

If Caldwell is the best guy for the job, then he should be hired. But don't tie your hands this soon with such a small sample size.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by arnie_uk View Post
    Well it would certainly force Joe to move more. Ault likes QBs with huge arms who can move in the pocket. Flacco has that kind of potential.

Blog Entries

As harsh as I i've been on Joe recently, I really do think Joe can really strive under an innovative coach like Ault. Joe has special tools that any genius can make good use out of and get the best out of him. Chip Kelly is one of the guys you'd want coaching Joe, but sadly, he's going to be running for a HC job not an OC job.
    There are even rumors that the Eagles have an offer out there just waiting to be signed.

Blog Entries

1st off, we won't interview new OCs until we're out of the playoffs. Too much distraction to try and do that. I think the more likely thing to happens is, if Norv is available, let his agent know that if he's willing to wait until we're out, we want to make a play for him.

To some extent, some of these HC vacancies may wait for playoff teams to exit anyway, so they can hire assistants away. Norv isn't going to up and accept the offer from the Jets immediately, he'll wait to see who else comes calling.

2nd, I do agree somewhat with R-title. Everyone is loving Caldwell right now, and while he did make some changes that Cameron wouldn't do, it is really a small sample size to look at right now. He's had one game vs Denver where nothing looked much different, and one game vs Giants where we looked GREAT.

This Cincy game could really make his case if Flacco can erase his road stank. If Flacco looks the same on the road and the offense doesn't produce...he'll need to hope the playoffs can make his case. I think if he can't show something similar vs Bengals or any playoff teams...you have to consider an established play caller. OTOH, the comfort level with Joe is probably the biggest aspect of who we bring in, and nobody can beat Caldwell there (You could argue Jim Zorn, but that relationship was 3 years ago).
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

How about Rex Ryan as DC!