Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast

Thread: Joe 'Manned Up'

Blog Entries

Re: Joe 'Manned Up'

Quote Originally Posted by bacchys View Post
    Flacco's a good QB. Paying him roughly $100 million over 7 years isn't going to be a bank-breaker.
    If I were Ozzie and Bisciotti, I would offer Flacco a 6 year $72 million base deal, with incentives (that are measureable) that could take the contract up to $100 million. If Flacco plays like an "elite" QB, then he would be paid like one. If he plays like a good QB, then he would be paid accordingly.

Who? I know I'm not one of them. Top 5 ain't top 2, and at best you've got 2 "elite" QB's in the league. Otherwise, you ain't talking about "elite."

Plus, top 5 money now isn't going to be top 5 money in 3,4,5 years, unless the money trends in the NFL take a weird, completely unexpected turn. Banking on salaries decreasing in the NFL over the next decade seems a foolish bet to me.

Flacco's a good QB. Paying him roughly $100 million over 7 years isn't going to be a bank-breaker.
    I can't be arsed to go look through all these threads and pull out examples for you. All I know is, some people around here think a Schaub-type contract is FAR too little, whereas I think it's the baseline. YMMV.

If he's getting the blame for the losses, he should be getting the credit for the wins. You're willing to do the one, but not the other. How convenient.
    You're putting words in my mouth. Never have I said that Flacco does not contribute at all to the success of the Ravens. I just believe that the proportion which he contributes is decidedly smaller than some others around here seem to believe. Some seem to think he's entirely responsible by himself for the team's success. I beg to differ.

He did get outplayed by RGIII, I think. He didn't by Batch. Batch was largely untroubled in the pocket and had wide-open receivers. Flacco was mostly unprotected and holding out for receivers running deep routes to get open. It didn't help that he was whistled "in the grasp" on a play where he avoided a sack by completing a pass in the flat.

Do you really watch the games, or do you just go by your fantasy box scores?
    I don't play fantasy football... so in answer to your question, no. Well, irrespective of anything else, if Flacco outplayed Brady in the AFCCG by some twisted logic that I can't fathom, then I fail to see how Charlie Batch didn't outplay him while not only posting a better passer rating but also winning the game. Since I did watch the game, and therefore watched Flacco throw a ridiculous pick that he should have thrown OOB, and also watched him hold onto a ball far too long while Harrison was coming, and I just KNEW what was going to happen next... yeah. I doubt you watched the game if you thought Flacco played better.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirt1 View Post
    If I were Ozzie and Bisciotti, I would offer Flacco a 6 year $72 million base deal, with incentives (that are measureable) that could take the contract up to $100 million. If Flacco plays like an "elite" QB, then he would be paid like one. If he plays like a good QB, then he would be paid accordingly.
    Matt Cassell signed a 6 year 63 million dollar deal when he was traded to KC. I don't think Joe will be signing a deal similar to that.

And if the idea is to allow Flacco to walk and sign elsewhere then that's what Ozzie and Bisciotti would offer him. I would have to believe there is no way the number is that low, incentives or not.

And other than playing time, which are incentives that guys like Brady Quinn got in his rookie deal, what measurable incentives can you give a QB that aren't affected by the players around him? You can control playing time to an extent. Where do you get incentives that can escalate the contract 28 million dollars? You can't do wins and losses? After all, Joe supposedly rode the rest of the team to his 58 wins. What passing stat is not helped or hurt by a wide receiver?

Pay the man or let him walk. 6 @ $72 and I almost guarantee 6 other teams off the bat offer him more.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JMUpurkfool View Post
    Matt Cassell signed a 6 year 63 million dollar deal when he was traded to KC. I don't think Joe will be signing a deal similar to that.
    Cassell's contract did not have the added incentives. Why would Flacco have a problem getting $12 million/year base, with the opportunity for it to be worth about $17 million/year? Flacco's stats do not support a $100+ million base contract. The Ravens have been to two AFCCGs with Flacco at QB, but so have the Jets with Mark Sanchez.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by StingerNLG View Post
    And if the idea is to allow Flacco to walk and sign elsewhere then that's what Ozzie and Bisciotti would offer him. I would have to believe there is no way the number is that low, incentives or not.

And other than playing time, which are incentives that guys like Brady Quinn got in his rookie deal, what measurable incentives can you give a QB that aren't affected by the players around him? You can control playing time to an extent. Where do you get incentives that can escalate the contract 28 million dollars? You can't do wins and losses? After all, Joe supposedly rode the rest of the team to his 58 wins. What passing stat is not helped or hurt by a wide receiver?

Pay the man or let him walk. 6 @ $72 and I almost guarantee 6 other teams off the bat offer him more.
    No other team would offer Flacco a $100+ million base contract. He has shown NOTHING that would warrant such a deal. I think Flacco wants to stay with the Ravens, and will accept a deal similar to the one I proposed.
    Last edited by Dirt1; 12-27-2012 at 08:30 PM.

No other team would offer Flacco a $100+ million base contract. He has shown NOTHING that would warrant such a deal. I think Flacco wants to stay with the Ravens, and will accept a deal similar to the one I proposed.
    I'm sorry but you are a moron if you don't think another team would offer Flacco a $100 Million dollar deal.

Quote Originally Posted by DonNMass View Post
    Joe has turned the ball over, especially in momentum changing situations, when all he had to do was nothing other than not make a mistake, Denver on the 4 yard line a perfect example.
    Wow! Yeah, sure Joe has turned the ball over in "momentum changing situations", but he has also made some very big plays against very good teams to win games, or to put his team in a position to win. AFCC game 2011 a perfect example. People need to look at the whole body of work instead of picking snapshots to support arguments. For me Joe is a very good QB, not yet great, but very good. His WHOLE body of work speaks to that.

As to the OP, it was good to see Joe take responsibility (as he should have) and respond in a positive way this past sunday.
    "I don't know a man on this Earth who can outwork me". Ray Lewis

No one is talking about 100 million+ here. That is just making up another strawman. At the same time no other team will lowball offer him $72 million dollars either. There is no way Flacco accepts a deal close to what you propose. No way.

I guarantee you if the Ravens offer him what you propose, he will be an Arizona Cardinal next year.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JMUpurkfool View Post
    I'm sorry but you are a moron if you don't think another team would offer Flacco a $100 Million dollar deal.

Frankly I expect him to get about 100millon. That's about the going rate for young franchise QBs these days. It definitely won't be less than 90 million I'll tell you that much.
    My motto was always to keep swinging. Whether I was in a slump or feeling badly or having trouble off the field, the only thing to do was keep swinging. -Hank Aaron

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by StingerNLG View Post
    No one is talking about 100 million+ here. That is just making up another strawman. At the same time no other team will lowball offer him $72 million dollars either. There is no way Flacco accepts a deal close to what you propose. No way.

I guarantee you if the Ravens offer him what you propose, he will be an Arizona Cardinal next year.
    Did you even read what I proposed? The $72 milion is the base deal, with incentives that could take that amount up to $100 million. That is an extremely fair offer for a QB who has shown what Flacco has thus far in his career. Now, if such a deal isn't good enough for Flacco, then I would wish him luck in Arizona or Jacksonville or Buffalo. He might sign for a bigger deal in those cities, but would never see the majority of that money (like Michael Vick), due to the disfunctional nature of those franchises.