Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Re: Bengals Next Week (Playoff Implications)

I'm on the fence but nevertheless our game now becomes a little more meaningful because the Pats game just got moved to 4pm. If we win and the pats lose we get the 3 seed and play the bengals again. Would be extremely difficult to beat any team 3 times in one season.
    Furthermore I would like to see the starters play most of this game to keep the momentum from today going. Jim Caldwell called a good game today and threw in a few wrinkles but you have to be careful showing too much because we may see this team again the following week.

Rest who u can, let Flacco and Rice play til half, and hope they put up 21 points. If we can win anyway with more backups,lol, Fine.

But would like Joe Cool to play some. More momentum would feel nice no matter where we seed.

Finally, imo, the Ravens just played their best game of this crazy season!!

Brady's good at taking down Manning. Us? Not so much...

I think I'd prefer to play Houston over Denver/NE. They've come down to earth quite a bit since we got pounded.

As for what to do next week - I'd say rest Suggs, Ngata, and possibly Reed on defense. The offense I think could still benefit from another half to gel with our new OC (haven't tried it on the road yet). Either at halftime or if we put up a couple TD's I would yank Joe, Ray, Pitta, Q, and Torrey. The Bengals can't change positioning at all so I'd imagine they'd have the JV team in.

I think you play all your non-injured starters, especially on offense. Especially with a new offensive coordinator, they will need all the reps they can get before the playoffs. And this will be Caldwell's first road game calling plays.
    I think you have to play this game to win on the offense, or at least score and keep fine tuning the playcalling. But obviously anyone who's too banged up on defense to go at least a half should sit. Maybe you sit Suggs out of this one just to give that arm a little more healing time. Ngata looks like he's almost 100%, Ellerbe played today and looked good. So we may be able to rest some defensive folks.

Blog Entries

The most important thing is to win, especially coming off that three game slide. Win, win, win.

That doesn't mean keep the starters in the whole game regardless of the score, or don't rest injured guys who could really benefit from a week off. But don't rest somebody who isn't going to get better or isn't hurt just to rest them or avoid injury. We've had one good game in all three phases in the last month. This is no time to start thinking about anything but winning.

Blog Entries

Better off with the 4th seed

Would you rather go to Houston than Denver in the divisional game? Yeah, I would.

Denver are the hottest team in football, and Milehigh is an extremely tough place to go and beat a team that has not lost for a long time with Peyton Manning at QB. Houston are kind of reeling right now, and I think this team goes into the Reliant pissed off from what happened earlier in the year. We are also much more familiar with the Texans than we are with this Denver team as we've played Houston four times in the last two years. NE will likely beat Cincy in the WC round, which would send them to Denver.

So yeah there really is very little to play for next week. These AFC Play offs are going to be the most exciting ones for a while.

Re: Better off with the 4th seed

It really doesn't matter to me. If the Ravens play like they did yesterday, they can beat anyone in the NFL.

Regardless Houston and Denver are tough outs.
    Master of 'Gifs for dummies'

"The world called for wetwork, and we answered. No greater good. No just cause." - Kazuhira Miller

Blog Entries

I guess the benefit with the 3rd seed is that you hope NE or a long shot Colts team can beat Houston the divisional game, while we try to take care of business in Denver, which would set up a home AFCCG.

Blog Entries

Once we missed out on the bye where we got seated became unimportant. This team has to get on a roll and beat whoever is there. It shouldn't matter who it is. The Giants were double digit underdogs going into Green Bay last year. If you really are a Super Bowl team the matchup is unimportant. You find a way to win

Blog Entries

It's always better to win than to lose. Trying to pick your opponent doesn't work.

You can ask Marvin Lewis the Bungles, who decided to pick the Jets a few years ago. Lost to them in back-to-back weeks.

I'd much rather play the Colts with their league worst defense than the Bengals which are tops in sacks. If the Chiefs put up 500+ yards of offense with Brady Quinn at QB I like our chances there.

Dream scenario, though, would be to win next week with Denver winning and Houston and New England both losing. Get the 3 seed while Houston slips to 2. Get by the Bengals and then play the Texans (best matchup of the top 3 teams) in round 2. If New England then wins at Denver we are hosting the AFC championship.

Doesn't really matter. If our goal is to win the Super Bowl, then you eventually have to beat a team like Denver, Houston, New England, Atlanta, Green Bay, San Francisco, or even Seattle.

As people have pointed out many times already, after being booted from the playoffs for 4 straight years, anything less than a Super Bowl Championship is unacceptable.