Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Blog Entries

Re: The impact of franchising Flacco...who could be lost

Quote Originally Posted by iggyman555 View Post
    you're awesome, you sure you dont work for the ravens FO? lol
    Maybe he should with the cap nightmare the Ravens have got them selves in now.

iggyman555 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    Maybe he should with the cap nightmare the Ravens have got them selves in now.
    whos the guy that is in charge of the cap for the ravens?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by B-more Ravor View Post
    I don't know. At this point, I don't think the team - or any team - is going to be dissuaded by the dead money as long as the savings makes it worthwhile. While Ray is most definitely a unique player, thus making it a unique decision, the savings of $4.35M is substantial. In fact, just as an example, if they were to get Flacco signed to a reasonable long-term deal, that $4.35M would go a long toward covering Flacco's 2013 Cap number.

Teams would prefer to not carry a lot of dead money, but IMO, it's more about the savings, so that if the savings is substantial enough, they'll be willing to swallow the dead money.

McClain, OTOH, I see a little differently. I don't think the savings versus dead money ratio is as appealing, so I wouldn't expect him to be cut. Especially with the possibility that Ray may not be back and Ellerbe being a UFA (he's a UFA, not an RFA).

Name them, and I work up the numbers!
    Hmm probably means Ellerbe will be gone also. Shame they went with McClain instead of him. Ah well hindsight and all that.

Would it behoove this team to possibly extend a couple RFAs or under-contract players with big cap numbers in 2013?

Specifically I'm thinking of Dennis Pitta, Art Jones, and Michael Oher. I know the Ravens had opened extension talks with Oher at some point recently, he has a cap number north of 4m if his incentives kick in (and I assume they have). He isn't very good at LT, but perhaps his bad performance this year gives us leverage to buy low and extend him with the hopes of playing him at LG or RT? I'm sure they could get his number below 4m, even if it would only save a few million.

Pitta and Jones are unfortunately guys that the Ravens would be buying high on, but I assume both would get 1st round tenders, which aren't terribly cheap, and they KNOW they've got to lock those guys up (Pitta especially).

They extended Webb as an RFA and I thought that could have been a sign of Ozzie growing wise to the idea of re-signing guys early. Could they repeat that idea this year?