Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Jets

Blog Entries

Re: The Jets

Quote Originally Posted by Uli2001 View Post
    ...this trade to bring Tebow in as co-starter will go down in NFL history infamy. It was a purely publicity move that backfired hugely. Very unfair to both Sanchez and Tebow. It gives every NFL fan a reason to dislike the Jets, if they didn't already.
    I scheduled a chimney inspection recently & the company sent a couple of brothers originally from Long Island. I casually asked them if they were Giants fans & they said No, Jets, & before I could stop myself I blurted out, You poor bastards...

The real problem with the Tebow trade is that it laid bare the dirty not-quite-secret of the NFL: It's become nothing much more than a made-for-TV reality show. "Survivor" with more rules & a longer history. Ca$h is king--generated by TV contracts--priced by ratings--generated by controversy, notoriety, herd following, & (very occasionally) the quality of play. The Jests noted that almost the instant the Ponies drafted Tebow his jersey (not even worn yet) shot to the top of the sales lists, & decided he represented a major opportunity to target the huge national fundamentalist-Christian demographic. (And who knows, the kid might actually be able to play some?)

Let's not forget, though, that the situation started to slide toward farce when Sanchez was drafted with the #5 pick overall--waaaay above the skill set he showed at USC. That too was a ratings-driven target-demographic move--the target in this case being Hispanics, who prefer to follow futbol that's actually played with the feet.

But I agree that both young men are probably damaged goods (at least as football players) from here on out.

Blog Entries

Lob, that's a good post, and there's a lot of truth to it. But more than anything winning bringsin revenue.

I don't think the Jets drafted Sanchez for the Hispanic fan, he was drafted too high, but he showed flashes of being a good QB at USC ( I think it had more to do with the players around him).

I can't see the Jets wasting a to 5 pick and being the butt of of 90% of the jokes about bad teams just to pick up a few fans.

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    Don't care what anyone says, I'd give anything to have Rex back here as the DC...
    Absolutely agree!
    He got the best out of everyone on that side of the ball.
    He is extremely smart and I believe born to be a DC.
    I would take him over any other DC anywhere.

And yes, it probably would be impossible to get him back here.
    But if he was here, the defense would rise back up.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    Lob, that's a good post, and there's a lot of truth to it. But more than anything winning bringsin revenue.
    Winning consistently, over a number of seasons, in an entertaining fashion, in a major media market. For dogsake, man, consider the Ravens--5 straight years in the playoffs, tons of respect from their peers & the media, but renowned for bone-jarring defense & a punishing running game. And as a result their national following is nil. Pittsburgh overcomes this via the 1970s championships (older generation of bandwagoners) plus the two recent Lombardis (younger generation of bandwagoners) plus the Mullethead Diaspora which scattered the Primanti-addled across the country...
    I don't think the Jets drafted Sanchez for the Hispanic fan, he was drafted too high, but he showed flashes of being a good QB at USC ( I think it had more to do with the players around him).

I can't see the Jets wasting a to 5 pick and being the butt of of 90% of the jokes about bad teams just to pick up a few fans.
    You're right, I exaggerated a bit for effect. It was still a heckuva stretch on the Jets' part. I think they honestly felt they could turn him into a very good if not great NFL QB, & they started the right (i.e., the Ravens) way: stellar defense & good running game, let him manage the game & not need to do too much. But IMHO he would have gone in the bottom of the first/top of the 2nd at the earliest without the Hispanic surname. Just look at all the marketing the NFL is doing to tap the Spanish-speaking audience. For years they tried Tony Gonzalez as their poster boy, but TEs (even great ones) have no celebrity status for a non-fan or casual fan. They need a Peytono Manninguez if they're ever gonna crack that market. Sanchez looked like he might be the real deal, NY franchises always get national attention (like everything else Newyorkish), & there's a huge Hispanic presence there. It was something of una lanza Ave Maria, but hey...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lobachevsky View Post
    Winning consistently, over a number of seasons, in an entertaining fashion, in a major media market. For dogsake, man, consider the Ravens--5 straight years in the playoffs, tons of respect from their peers & the media, but renowned for bone-jarring defense & a punishing running game. And as a result their national following is nil. Pittsburgh overcomes this via the 1970s championships (older generation of bandwagoners) plus the two recent Lombardis (younger generation of bandwagoners) plus the Mullethead Diaspora which scattered the Primanti-addled across the country....
    Actually the Ravens have increased their fan base a lot over the past few years. I am not sure where to find it, but it's been posted before showing the rise in popularity and fans.

Blog Entries

Jets have named McIlroy the starter over Tebow. I hee the man continues to be jerked around by Rex. All he did was win at Florida and in Denver.

Quote Originally Posted by Uli2001 View Post
    Jets have named McIlroy the starter over Tebow. I hee the man continues to be jerked around by Rex. All he did was win at Florida and in Denver.
    I just don't think anyone believes that Tebow is a legit NFL QB.

Rex continues to prove he is a jackass and the Ravens are better off without him. He is dicking over Tebow in some absurd power play with the GM. There is no reason for Rex not to give Tebow the start. Except for not making himself look like an idiot for sticking with Sanchez for so long.

Blog Entries

Signs of Jets mutiny are brewing...

Mike Pettine, Rex's "right hand man" who he took to NY to be the DC...just turned down a contract extension.
    Mike Smith, the former Ravens LB who turned down several college jobs to stay with the Jets, just announced he was leaving for the DC position at Texas Tech (To be fair, that's a promotion AND his alma mater)

I'm almost to the point where it'd shock me if Rex is ABLE to keep his job.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Wow,jets Qb sacked 11 times. Oline had a mutiny today also.

SuggsKill Guest

The Jets are so god damn bad. Why the hell did they get Tebow? Where is Sanchez going next?

Looks like McElroy had a concussion on Sunday and didn't reveal it until Thursday.

Sanchez in the driver's seat again!

Concussions are serious, of course, and I hope McElroy has a full recovery.

But my main reaction to this news is that the Jets are the gift that keeps on giving.
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.