Quote Originally Posted by Uli2001 View Post
...this trade to bring Tebow in as co-starter will go down in NFL history infamy. It was a purely publicity move that backfired hugely. Very unfair to both Sanchez and Tebow. It gives every NFL fan a reason to dislike the Jets, if they didn't already.
I scheduled a chimney inspection recently & the company sent a couple of brothers originally from Long Island. I casually asked them if they were Giants fans & they said No, Jets, & before I could stop myself I blurted out, You poor bastards...

The real problem with the Tebow trade is that it laid bare the dirty not-quite-secret of the NFL: It's become nothing much more than a made-for-TV reality show. "Survivor" with more rules & a longer history. Ca$h is king--generated by TV contracts--priced by ratings--generated by controversy, notoriety, herd following, & (very occasionally) the quality of play. The Jests noted that almost the instant the Ponies drafted Tebow his jersey (not even worn yet) shot to the top of the sales lists, & decided he represented a major opportunity to target the huge national fundamentalist-Christian demographic. (And who knows, the kid might actually be able to play some?)

Let's not forget, though, that the situation started to slide toward farce when Sanchez was drafted with the #5 pick overall--waaaay above the skill set he showed at USC. That too was a ratings-driven target-demographic move--the target in this case being Hispanics, who prefer to follow futbol that's actually played with the feet.

But I agree that both young men are probably damaged goods (at least as football players) from here on out.