Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: DC is Now the One Lone Area of the Country ....

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Not sure what news outlets you're watching JAB.

He's calling for a ban on so called assault weapons and a ban on high capacity magazines.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/politi...196_story.html
    Ive read that and watched the video and nowhere does he say, "we need to ban guns". the only thing i see as far as an actual ban on assault rifles is stated by "white house officials, as almost certain". I think the title of the article is misleading. Usually when Obama "urges congress" theres video or atleast a direct quote actually supporting such a thing.

I dont like the last paragraph though, Conn rep dismissing armed officers in schools before its even fully discussed.
    -JAB

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    Ive read that and watched the video and nowhere does he say, "we need to ban guns". the only thing i see as far as an actual ban on assault rifles is stated by "white house officials, as almost certain". I think the title of the article is misleading. Usually when Obama "urges congress" theres video or atleast a direct quote actually supporting such a thing.

I dont like the last paragraph though, Conn rep dismissing armed officers in schools before its even fully discussed.
    From before the Conn incident.

Obama Calls for Renewal of Assault Weapons Ban

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    Oh sweet innocent naive JAB. He has a long history of being anti-gun.

Just Google Obama anti-gun histroy, you'll find a lot. Just make sure you double check it as "the right" ;) has probably put a few misleading things out there.
    Ive googled it a good bit. Hes opposed concealed weapons on a few occasions (which i highly disagree with) but isnt limiting ownership. also opposed armor piercing rounds, which i think is obviously a concern for law enforcement. As far as actual gun ownership, i dont see a history of limiting gun ownership.
    -JAB

Blog Entries

From before the Conn incident.

Obama Calls for Renewal of Assault Weapons Ban
    I stand corrected. he does say "Because frankly, in my home town of Chicago, there’s an awful lot of violence and they’re not using AK-47s. They’re using cheap hand guns.” which to me points to the gun not being the issue and focusing on the real cause of violence.
    -JAB

Blog Entries

Ive googled it a good bit. Hes opposed concealed weapons on a few occasions (which i highly disagree with) but isnt limiting ownership. also opposed armor piercing rounds, which i think is obviously a concern for law enforcement. As far as actual gun ownership, i dont see a history of limiting gun ownership.
    As part of his "armor piercing rounds" ban, he wanted to eliminate all full metal jacket rounds, at least to my knowledge.

I am not an ammunition expert so I don't see the point in that.

Blog Entries

I stand corrected. he does say "Because frankly, in my home town of Chicago, there’s an awful lot of violence and they’re not using AK-47s. They’re using cheap hand guns.” which to me points to the gun not being the issue and focusing on the real cause of violence.
    I disagree. I read that, as, Maybe we need to also look at a handgun ban too. Especially since he supported the ban on guns in Illinois.

Blog Entries

I disagree. I read that, as, Maybe we need to also look at a handgun ban too. Especially since he supported the ban on guns in Illinois.
    well obviously your a little bias as youre opinion that hes anti-gun in general can be part of taking it that way. The whole quote below, adding the root of violence part, i think brings that statement to its real intent.

"Part of it is seeing if we can get an assault weapons ban reintroduced. But part of it is also looking at other sources of the violence. Because frankly, in my home town of Chicago, there’s an awful lot of violence and they’re not using AK-47s. They’re using cheap hand guns.”
    -JAB

Blog Entries

well obviously your a little bias as youre opinion that hes anti-gun in general can be part of taking it that way. The whole quote below, adding the root of violence part, i think brings that statement to its real intent.
    I think that knife cuts both ways.

But I have to ask what we're seeing differently.

"Part of it is seeing if we can get an assault weapons ban reintroduced. But part of it is also looking at other sources of the violence. Because frankly, in my home town of Chicago, there’s an awful lot of violence and they’re not using AK-47s. They’re using cheap hand guns.”
    At least from this quote he mentioned nothing but guns.

Blog Entries

I think that knife cuts both ways.

But I have to ask what we're seeing differently.

At least from this quote he mentioned nothing but guns.
    obviously that goes both ways. The fact that he mentioned "other sources of violence". other sources outside of just guns. which goes back to the earlier quote i posted about who gets them, and holding the person responsible.
    -JAB

Blog Entries

obviously that goes both ways. The fact that he mentioned "other sources of violence". other sources outside of just guns. which goes back to the earlier quote i posted about who gets them, and holding the person responsible.
    I get what you're saying, and if he didn't go on to then say (right after talking about banning "assault weapons") "Because frankly, in my home town of Chicago, there’s an awful lot of violence and they’re not using AK-47s. They’re using cheap hand guns.” I would agree with you.

But he went from one weapon to another. At least from this quote, he is only talking about weapons as the source of violence, nothing (at least in this quote) is mentioned of mental illness or criminal acts etc. as the problem.

Blog Entries

I get what you're saying, and if he didn't go on to then say (right after talking about banning "assault weapons") "Because frankly, in my home town of Chicago, there’s an awful lot of violence and they’re not using AK-47s. They’re using cheap hand guns.” I would agree with you.

But he went from one weapon to another. At least from this quote, he is only talking about weapons as the source of violence, nothing (at least in this quote) is mentioned of mental illness or criminal acts etc. as the problem.
    one gun to another saying that even banning the AR isnt going to be effective because its not the root cause. perfect example of taking one quote two completely different ways and neither one being able to determine which is correct.
    -JAB

Blog Entries

one gun to another saying that even banning the AR isnt going to be effective because its not the root cause. perfect example of taking one quote two completely different ways and neither one being able to determine which is correct.
    I guess. Of course I think I am right.

Let me ask you this, seriously.

If you say I think we need to ban assault weapons because no one should have military style weapons (because they kill a large number of people in a short amount of time) but they're not the problem in Chicago, handguns are the problem in Chicago. How do you read that any other way than, I think we need to ban handguns too? Especially when he's supported Illinois handgun bans.