Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Max protect Flacco

I do not understand why Leach is taken off the field as often as he is. He's a great passblocker, and a more then adequate receiver.

So in part, I agree with the post, but to a lesser degree. I'd rather see a TE on the field as opposed to having rice, pierce and Leach in the backfield.
    I think the standard pro-style 2 WR , 1 TE, 1 FB, 1 RB set is what works best for this offense, passing and running. Occasionally dropping a TE for an extra WR is a better move, IMO then dropping Leach. He is a FAR better pass protector then any TE we can put on the field. An obvious passing set with 3 WR's and sa split backfield will help BOTH OT's out, and they will surely need it against Von MIller and Dumervil.

2. Re: Max protect Flacco

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    I'd rather see them spread the field than max protect. Something tells me they'll run stretch plays, draws, screens, and work to win the TOP battle. But it will also take TDs; field goals won't win this one.
    Our TEs and RBs aren't great/consistent at pass protection anyway.
    Better to use them as receivers which plays more to their strengths.
    So, I agree with you...

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    I do not understand why Leach is taken off the field as often as he is. He's a great passblocker, and a more then adequate receiver.

So in part, I agree with the post, but to a lesser degree. I'd rather see a TE on the field as opposed to having rice, pierce and Leach in the backfield.
    I think the standard pro-style 2 WR , 1 TE, 1 FB, 1 RB set is what works best for this offense, passing and running. Occasionally dropping a TE for an extra WR is a better move, IMO then dropping Leach. He is a FAR better pass protector then any TE we can put on the field. An obvious passing set with 3 WR's and sa split backfield will help BOTH OT's out, and they will surely need it against Von MIller and Dumervil.
    ...and with you. Leach should be on the field for 95% of our offensive plays. For the reasons you gave but also so the opposing D can't tell so easily when it's going to be a pass or a run--which will really help to sell our play-action, which again plays to the strengths of our team.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PerpetuallyBored74 View Post
    Leach should be on the field for 95% of our offensive plays. For the reasons you gave but also so the opposing D can't tell so easily when it's going to be a pass or a run--which will really help to sell our play-action, which again plays to the strengths of our team.
    (NB I went back to his career stats & was surprised to find that Houston actually used him as a receiver about as often as the Ravens do--I'd thought it was something they were helping him develop. It's also interesting to see that he hasn't fumbled in 95 touches since the start of 2008.)

It's a helluva nice option to have a FB who's a force of nature as a lead blocker, a good pass blocker, & also able to slip out of the backfield & pick up 6-8 yards on a flare pass (& make whoever tries to tackle him ache well into next year) because the defense is ignoring him. I'd take that all day & twice on Sunday until the defense decides it needs to stop it--whereupon other possibilities open up.

Blog Entries
    They should never take leach out of the game. That guy is a beast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gotta stick to the short stuff and hit em deep only periodically. It all depends on which O-Line shows up. Joe has his shot now what with Cam gone. It'll be interesting Sunday, but I worry about our pass defense against Manning....

Fully agree with that ! Being said will be at the game tmorow tho it's going to be a weird but great feeling not having Cam around , Joe has got to move that ball and fast score as much points and keep the D off field , not sure we will see a dramatic change in play Sunday but I'm hoping that Flacco is excited to show us what he can do with the cord cut from Cam ! So huddle in Ravens fam it's going to be a hella game at the bank !!! Lets go Ravens .

7. Re: Max protect Flacco

Folks, you have to go back to the 2008 season, FLacco's and Rice's rookie year, and how successful the 3 back setup was. They kept defences guessing, no only who was going to run the ball, but also receive.

Quote Originally Posted by eastjacket View Post
    Folks, you have to go back to the 2008 season, FLacco's and Rice's rookie year, and how successful the 3 back setup was. They kept defences guessing, no only who was going to run the ball, but also receive.
    Rice was a non factor most of that year. It was McClain-McGahee-Rice in that order and then late that season McGahee-McClain-Rice.
    Our RG is now better (if Yanda is playing).. LT, LG, C and RT worse, now our QB has to help his OL.. in 2008 it was different.

Now we have nothing like the combo of Neal and McClain and some times they even added Ngata or added an extra lineman.

What we do have, a vet QB and more explosive receivers and runningbacks.
    Last edited by elland; 12-16-2012 at 07:52 AM.

Blog Entries

It's a little late in the year to implement it, but I've never understood why the Ravens didn't try utilizing Leach somewhat in the old Keith Jackson H-back role, at least to some extent. I don't know if he has the ability to run a tight-end route, but I think he'd be able to block like a tight end coming off the line from time to time, and how different is catching a pass in the flat from a swing pass? It's not like, as a fullback, he hasn't run the flat before, anyway.

The biggest thing our new playcaller can do to help Flacco and the pass protection is run more quick routes, and more playaction. Even when we ran playaction the last two weeks, it was desultory and not in situations where the defense had to respect the threat of a run. I hope they've had Flacco working on selling the playaction during practice this week, and have been going over game film to have a better idea when to use it. Mix it up with runs and quick passes, and the chances for a big play will come.