Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Tagliabue vacates all player discipline

Protected Goodell but let the players off the hook, FWIW

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...er-discipline/

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Blog Entries

Re: Tagliabue vacates all player discipline

Tags did what he was hired to do and that wasn't to actually mediate anything.

He just declared this to be a tie. Tags should become a boxing judge.

Blog Entries

It does sound a little fishy. By agreeing that the charges were accurate, he lets Goodell off the hook but he drops all discipline to (hopefully) avoid future litigation. At least that's my layman's first blush

Blog Entries

Very fishy
    Irrefutable evidence looks like the biggest source of smell, Mr Museum Tagliaboo turned it into a lifeless display case with the "contamination" (Greg Williams) still banned.
    at one point of my life I was exactly Pi years old

Threatening to sue the nfl makes some things happen and other things go away. Goodell should be thinking about retirement soon, he has irritated enough people and hasn't done anything posotive. Turning the game into less hits and protecting anyone who carries the ball is ruining the game. Flag football anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by lovefootball View Post
    he has irritated enough people and hasn't done anything posotive. Turning the game into less hits and protecting anyone who carries the ball is ruining the game. Flag football anyone?
    Disagree. The game has gotten too violent along with shady coaching practices which promote violence. The players should not emulate gladiators. I am impressed with what Goodell has accomplished thus far.
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).

Looks like he bought the argument that they did bad but, in their defense, they were giving in to pressure from the coaching staff. If it hadn't been for how long it took to get to this point, it wouldn't be a big deal.

It's good to see an outside check on the limit of Goodell's disciplinary authority.
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.

Quote Originally Posted by lovefootball View Post
    Threatening to sue the nfl makes some things happen and other things go away. Goodell should be thinking about retirement soon, he has irritated enough people and hasn't done anything posotive. Turning the game into less hits and protecting anyone who carries the ball is ruining the game. Flag football anyone?
    I'd be OK with fewer retired players having dementia or artificial hips/knees.

Blog Entries

it's all of the lawsuits that have forced Goodell's hand on these rules IMO. And Vilma is proceeding with his defamation suit against Goodell even after this ruling.

Quote Originally Posted by Mista T View Post
    Disagree. The game has gotten too violent along with shady coaching practices which promote violence. The players should not emulate gladiators. I am impressed with what Goodell has accomplished thus far.
    Really??? Tell that to Ray Nitschke, Dick Butkis, Night Train Lane, Dick LeBeau, Mike Curtis, Johnny Unitas, Glenn and Lyle Blackwood, Mike Ditka, Mike Singletary, Y.A. Tittle, Bart Starr, Joe Green, ...

Quote Originally Posted by HKusp View Post
    Really??? Tell that to Ray Nitschke, Dick Butkis, Night Train Lane, Dick LeBeau, Mike Curtis, Johnny Unitas, Glenn and Lyle Blackwood, Mike Ditka, Mike Singletary, Y.A. Tittle, Bart Starr, Joe Green, ...

He's saying the game shouldn't be the same as it has been in the past. You just pointed to a bunch of players from the past... so where's your point?
    “Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people.”

–Eleanor Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by HKusp View Post
    Wonder how many of those dead ones would still be alive today if they had been protected from head trauma like today's players will be.

Meh who cares! Let 'em die young and demented! I want to see some HITS /sarcasm.
    My motto was always to keep swinging. Whether I was in a slump or feeling badly or having trouble off the field, the only thing to do was keep swinging. -Hank Aaron