Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: The Baltimore Ravens need to be build around Joe Flacco.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirt1 View Post
    But you see, that's just it. If the Ravens give Flacco the contract he wants, they won't have the cap space to get all of those other pieces, and Flacco isn't good enough to put the team on his back and carry them to victory.
    That's definitely an issue. In the past this team has always been able to pay it's top defensive talent and go cheap on the QB spot. Even when they did pay up for a second contract, McNair and Grbac, it didn't last long. Now they have to tie up huge money into somewhere they never have before. It's going to mean going cheap somewhere else. Ozzie has a habit of following Belechick. The Patriots really got cheap on defense the past couple of years and it hasn't hurt them. I could see Ozzie having to do the same thing. Even if Flacco signs for what the Ravens offered him last year he's still going to make them reevaluate the cap structure of this team.

Blog Entries

Ray Rice is the best player on offense, not Flacco. He's not consistent enough to build an offense around, IMO. He's good enough when the defense is Top 5 and Rice is averaging close to 2000 all purpose yards. Other than that we are not contenders for a championship.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Other way around.

If Flacco is franchised, we're in much deeper trouble in terms of cap space.

Giving Flacco a contract, even one as big as he seeks (which he wont get), still helps the team in terms of cap space.
    Flacco thinks that he is a better QB than he really is. I am really beginning to think that the Ravens will franchise Flacco, but that he won't play next season under the franchise tag. The Ravens will either sign him to a reasonable contract (~6 years, $72 million) by the time the draft comes around, or they will trade him.

Blog Entries

Every unit on the team has been almost tailor made for Joe. The only one I'll point to in the last few years is the OL.

2008 - Gaither - Grubbs - Brown - Chester - Willie Anderson
    2009 - Gaither - Grubbs - Birk - Chester - Oher
    2010 - Oher - Grubbs - Birk - Chester - Yanda
    2011 - McKinnie - Grubbs - Birk - Yanda - Oher
    2012 - Oher - CF (Harewood/Williams/Reid) - Birk - Yanda - KO

So, let's just say that 2008 and 2009 were Joe's "golden" years. He was improving, he was progressing. In 2010, Oher is moved to LT, which was admittedly a mistake then. Yanda was a good OL, but RT was not his best position. 2011, Oher back to RT, McKinnie in at LT. McKinnie had some good games, but overall just a little better than Oher. Grubbs was injured for 6-7 games, leading to Gurode at LG. Birk has been getting worse....

2012 - Oher back to LT, which we all can probably agree isn't working. LG has been an absolute disaster. Grubbs was playing at PB alternate level. What remains is a total CF. Harewood had a shot and failed, Bobbie Williams had a shot and failed. Jah Reid is maybe okay? Birk continuing to regress. Rookie at RT has been good at times, bad at others.

I remember the OL play was rough in 2010, which was what led to Matsko's firing and Moeller's "promotion". Can anyone argue it's gotten better since then? I don't think it has. Moeller probably can't go midseason, but I don't think he should be back next year. Also, Oher needs to GTFO of LT! Let McKinnie ride out the year, then you HAVE to go back to the drawing board! He's not getting it done. LG, I don't even know. Maybe Oher? Maybe ride with Reid? Birk is likely gone after this year, but we'll have some rough times with Gradkowski too. Yanda should hopefully be back full go next year, and I hope KO continues to improve.

The OL play isn't all the answer, but I think that is the one spot where the moves they've made have been okay at best, and many have not panned out.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Blog Entries

where this team started fucking up with building around flacco was letting jason brown walk, when you draft your franchise QB you build a foundation for him, you want him protected, sure brown wanted center money but his play HERE deserved it. We had that doundation in JG, GRUBBS,BROWN, YANDA AND OHER JG didn't work outr so they should have drafted true LT. This Oline has been a revolving door for so many years, just ask the colts of the early to mid 2000s what consistency on the Oline means, ask Denver too. You need to protect your franchise QB.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pslholder96 View Post
    Which could be why they cut ties with Cameron to see once for all what Joe can do without him. If Joe plays lights out the rest of the season and leads us to the superbowl then Joe has the leverage in contract negotiations.
    Totally agree. If that scenario plays out, the the Ravens will pay Flacco what he wants. However, I am doubtful that the Ravens will make it past the Divisional round of the playoffs this year.

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    The talent is there. This isn't the 2000 offense. Rice is a great player. The Ravens are 3 deep at receiver. They have 2 effective tight ends. They have the best fullback in the NFL. The offensive line is below average but it's not horrible. There is a lot of talent for Joe to work with. He has more than any QB in Ravens history ever had before.
    But the best the Ravens ever had doesn't equate to on par with other championship teams in the NFL though. That's like saying they just aren't as crappy as they used to be.

I agree they have been building around Joe at the outside positions, though Rice came in with Joe so that isn't an acquisition they got just for him. Adding Torrey Smith and Pitta/Dickson was great. But we let our OL suffer letting Grubbs walk, moving Oher back to LT, and continuing to have a 35+ year old center start with no real backup plan or player to groom for that spot. That to me isn't building around Joe.

And the bigger problem now is they have to go back to drafting the defense because that unit is suffering BADLY. So the OL is going to get passed over again this coming season.

You know honestly, I think our receiving corp is bit overrated by many. Boldin is slow and has issues separating. But at least he is polished in his route running and Joe trusts him, even if the window is really tight. Torrey has a lot of potential, but he is average at best right now with running routes (why a talent like that is a 2nd round pick). Joe and Torrey can't seem to get on the same page recently on the deep ball, b/c Torrey is developing a bad habit of jumping too early instead of just decelerating. Sure Joe should not underthrow him as much, but a QB needs a WR to be consistent with their running to develop chemistry. Torrey will improve, no doubt, but he is inconsistent right now. And Jones.. same thing... great straight line speed... but very little in the department of route running skill. Doss was rendered pretty much useless in Cam's offense b/c it was all go deep and Boldin being the already occasional short route option in the Cam offense. They still lack a true #1 like Megatron, Calvin, Wayne, Fitz, AJ.... Our boy Matty Ice has two in White & Jones. Can Torrey develop into that true #1??? I hope. Hey who knows how things really are? We were stuck in the dark ages with Cam, so maybe our receivers truly are better than their performance in Cam's system.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ravensnhokies View Post
    You know honestly, I think our receiving corp is bit overrated by many. Boldin is slow and has issues separating. But at least he is polished in his route running and Joe trusts him, even if the window is really tight. Torrey has a lot of potential, but he is average at best right now with running routes (why a talent like that is a 2nd round pick). Joe and Torrey can't seem to get on the same page recently on the deep ball, b/c Torrey is developing a bad habit of jumping too early instead of just decelerating. Sure Joe should not underthrow him as much, but a QB needs a WR to be consistent with their running to develop chemistry. Torrey will improve, no doubt, but he is inconsistent right now. And Jones.. same thing... great straight line speed... but very little in the department of route running skill. Doss was rendered pretty much useless in Cam's offense b/c it was all go deep and Boldin being the already occasional short route option in the Cam offense. They still lack a true #1 like Megatron, Calvin, Wayne, Fitz, AJ.... Our boy Matty Ice has two in White & Jones. Can Torrey develop into that true #1??? I hope. Hey who knows how things really are? We were stuck in the dark ages with Cam, so maybe our receivers truly are better than their performance in Cam's system.
    they are not overrated they were under utilize, boldin didn't leave AZ where he put up all those numbers just to forget how to run routes and get separation. Has he slowed? yes but he is still dangerous. I'm hoping Caldwell can finish out the season with some positive results under the same system just better plays and play calling. then the system needs to go after that.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    That's definitely an issue. In the past this team has always been able to pay it's top defensive talent and go cheap on the QB spot. Even when they did pay up for a second contract, McNair and Grbac, it didn't last long. Now they have to tie up huge money into somewhere they never have before. It's going to mean going cheap somewhere else. Ozzie has a habit of following Belechick. The Patriots really got cheap on defense the past couple of years and it hasn't hurt them. I could see Ozzie having to do the same thing. Even if Flacco signs for what the Ravens offered him last year he's still going to make them reevaluate the cap structure of this team.
    The big difference there is that Belechick has Brady. Flacco may make similar money as Brady if gets the contract he wants, but he isn't as good as Brady. Would the Ravens really be that worse off if they were able to trade Flacco for a couple of high draft picks, provided they could get a good young QB like Geno Smith or Tyler Wilson in the draft?

Quote Originally Posted by StingerNLG View Post

And the bigger problem now is they have to go back to drafting the defense because that unit is suffering BADLY. So the OL is going to get passed over again this coming season.
    They have drafted defense recently.... Its just Oz and Eric have flopped. Kindle, Cody are busts. Jimmy Smith is disappointing so far. (I used to say Kruger too is disappointing, but he is finally ballin...Took a little while)

Blog Entries

When you have Boldin running 9 routes, yes he looks overrated. His best work is in the middle of the field where he can punish DB's trying to tackle him.