Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Offensive Concern

Please don't get me wrong.. Getting rid of Cam was the right move I think. But the timing of it has me concerned.

Specifically the change in the game day logistics. We've all discussed how Caldwell has never called plays, but I'll be willing to bet that the voice in the QB helmet since Harbs has been coach has always been Cameron. Usually this type of thing can get worked out in the pre-season, but with a new, never before OC and someone new in the QBs speakers, I'll bet we have a few mishaps with just the mechanics of getting plays in over the next couple weeks. At least they're at home.

Re: Offensive Concern

While I'm surprised at the timing I'm actually okay with this move being made now. It came down to a couple of things in my humble opinion. The first is that the situation had reached a boiling point so the front office felt a strong sense of urgency given the players subtle dislike of Cam and his playcalling. The second is Joe's contract situation. The ravens don't know where to value him right now and want to see once for all how Joe performs without the Cam Cameron cloud over his head.

Quote Originally Posted by perryw9202 View Post
    Please don't get me wrong.. Getting rid of Cam was the right move I think. But the timing of it has me concerned.

Specifically the change in the game day logistics. We've all discussed how Caldwell has never called plays, but I'll be willing to bet that the voice in the QB helmet since Harbs has been coach has always been Cameron. Usually this type of thing can get worked out in the pre-season, but with a new, never before OC and someone new in the QBs speakers, I'll bet we have a few mishaps with just the mechanics of getting plays in over the next couple weeks. At least they're at home.
    The good news is that nothing is changing. It is still the same plays and offense that was being used before. The only difference will be game planning and play calls. There should be no miscommunication because it is the same plays that everyone knows. The bad news is that it is the same offense so we probably won't see as many slants, crossing routes and screens as many on here would like.

Blog Entries

Right. Fans wanted CAM and his system gone but Caldwell just said the system stays. He'll just add a wrinkle or two.

HARBS said it was his decision to fire CAM.

They were seen arguing and things reached a point with the players as mentioned above.

HARBS said it's not a matter of right or wrong or fair or unfair.

TRANSLATED: It's my ass on the line

here. I'm surprised HARBS ever said such a thing he was so loyal to CAM and saved his job the last two years.

5. Re: Offensive Concern

The real offensive concern now is can we keep those players healthy this season?
    Our D has already been decimated; we can't start taking hits to our offense too or it might not matter what Jim, Joe & Ray/Bernard do from here onward.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by srobert96 View Post
    The bad news is that it is the same offense so we probably won't see as many slants, crossing routes and screens as many on here would like.
    And why not? It's not as if those plays aren't in the playbook. The only thing that kept them away from the middle of the field was their well-established aversion to risk. Now that they're pretty much playing with house money (99+% lock for a playoff spot) they can throw caution to the winds & probably will in order to see how Flacco (& to a lesser extent Caldwell) react. It's the father handing his teenage son the car keys & telling him to have a good time but be careful & remember, if you wrap the family wheels around a telephone poll, it's coming out of your allowance.

Blog Entries

The Ravens are expected to move to more of a no huddle with Caldwell. If that is the case, getting the plays might actually IMPROVE. Remember how the Ravens would get to the line with under 10 seconds on the clock, sometimes as low as 5 or 6. That was Cam getting the play call in late. Some people believe it was to keep Flacco from changing the play or having time to make an adjustment. Don't know how I feel about that but the point is Cam wasn't that great at getting the calls in anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by srobert96 View Post
    The good news is that nothing is changing. It is still the same plays and offense that was being used before. The only difference will be game planning and play calls. There should be no miscommunication because it is the same plays that everyone knows. The bad news is that it is the same offense so we probably won't see as many slants, crossing routes and screens as many on here would like.
    Yes, but I think the good news is that it is the same playbook.
    Cam wasn't using much of it.
    What he was using fit on that plastic sheet he had in his hand.

What IS still in the playbook are the different formations; triplets, stacks, and the routes...crossing routes, rubs: those things that ARE in the playbook that NATURALLY CREATE separation for the receivers.

That's what he will be using and calling and game planning with.
    Remember the first game, against the Bengals?
    Multiple formations, triplets, crossing routes, Rice flaring out (modified wheel route).
    It is ALL in there and will HOPEFULLY be brought back out along with the no huddle.

Joe will complete more passes and throw earlier (less sacks and hits and hurries) if he sees the receivers with good separation.

Blog Entries

It is what it is. We'll just have to see how it works out. I'm willing to be patient. Caldwell is facing a real challenge. It's not going to be completely smooth.

Blog Entries

My only concern is the protection.

Will we focus on changing the breakdowns there. If we would just chip the best rushers from time to time we would see a world of difference.

My concern, None. Hey if we use Rice like we should be, then all good with me. As some has said, rubs, slants , wheel , screens are in the playbook. Blow the dust off those pages, and let this O , loose. First Rice, The league is begging for a pound of RICE. Feed them Rice. Joe will be fine, He is a Raven!!

I have to admit, I really do feel good going forward. I still have hope for the superbowl.

Blog Entries

He hasn't called plays since the 90s in college so it's a risk. But I have to believe they were confident in his ability to (at a minimum) dust off an old gameplan and be sensitive to the flow of the game so that you can evolve. Use Rice a lot, just get the ball in his hands. Keep the TEs active and run some quick pass plays to get the ball out in a couple seconds. (screens, slants, etc).

They're bashing the move on SiriusNFL but I don't see it as a huge risk.

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!