Page 46 of 49 FirstFirst ... 4445464748 ... LastLast

Re: Coaching Change?

I hardly ever post in here but i just had to log in to say this day was like an early Christmas present to me.
    Before today I expected us to end our season in the playoffs again and, another year without getting ray his 2nd ring.
    Now, anything is possible and I feel we have a much better chance of getting that SB win.

2. Re: Coaching Change?

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Well, Harbs was screaming at him on the sidelines a bunch yesterday. We shall see ....
    I missed that! Is there any video on him yelling at Cam? I know I saw it a few weeks ago.

Quote Originally Posted by bacchys View Post
    He did get rid of the ball quickly. The pass rusher was quicker. He started throwing as soon as he hit the end of his drop. It doesn't get any quicker than that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paintballguy View Post
    That's what drives me nuts. Everyone is saying Flacco has to be quicker. He couldn't do anything quicker on that sack/fumble. His arm was going forward as soon as he hit his back foot.
    Quote Originally Posted by moose10101 View Post
    It does if you make the drop shorter, which is one of the big gripes about Cam's plays. It isn't all on Joe.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paintballguy View Post
    Bingo. 3 stop drops and shotgun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boulderraven View Post
    I dont blame KO on the Int. He had TWO guys to block. The problem was no TE and worse no RB in backfeild to chip. If their was a RB in backfeild likely no blitz at all, but RR was spit wide Right at the SIDELINE. Never go empty backfeild with no TE's. On 3rd and 5 you have a back to keep defense honest, and block or use as release valve. JUST AWFUL PLAY CALL.
    I rewatched the play 10x. It was 6 on 5. Kerrigan is pretty fast also. You cant have 6 on 5 with no backfeild help. Inexcusable, especially in FG territory. Joe got rid of it in like a second and half, can't do better than that. If you have a RB in the backfeild, Joe has a little more time. KO had little chance as did the play.
    Joe got the snap, and while Kerrigan was on him quick, you can see Joe take his drop and then immediately drift back a couple of steps.

My problem with the play is that whoever you want to blame, when a defense shows an all out blitz like they did, you HAVE to assume that everybody is coming and audible to at least one hot route. Joe did nothing took the snap and reacted like he wanted to try and wait for a guy to break open. Make no doubt about it, on that play, guys wound up open, but since there were no hot routes, Joe would have had to throw the ball before the WR break and he didn't do it. If nothing else, Joe needs to eat the ball...secure it and take the sack so that we at least get 3. When the opposing team brings more than you can block (and yes, even with an extra back in, the guy that would have been covering him could have just blitzed as well still making it more than we could block), it's on the QB to audible to something that can beat it and get the ball out of his hands. Joe even said that play was on him.

Take a look at this...

And take a look at this...

Same play...only Eli got rid of it immediately.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

4. Re: Coaching Change -- Cam Cameron has been Fired

I'm happy most of us got our wish. The timing of this move is weird. We have 3 games left and heading into the playoffs. I'm not sure if Caldwell is the answer either, he doesn't have much experience calling plays, how do we know he's an upgrade from Cam?

I swear when I heard a coaching change was coming earlier today, I thought it would be Pees. I thought Cam would be fired in the offseason.
    You guys wanna hear a funny joke?

DEAN PEES............That is all

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    Joe got the snap, and while Kerrigan was on him quick, you can see Joe take his drop and then immediately drift back a couple of steps.

My problem with the play is that whoever you want to blame, when a defense shows an all out blitz like they did, you HAVE to assume that everybody is coming and audible to at least one hot route. Joe did nothing took the snap and reacted like he wanted to try and wait for a guy to break open. Make no doubt about it, on that play, guys wound up open, but since there were no hot routes, Joe would have had to throw the ball before the WR break and he didn't do it. If nothing else, Joe needs to eat the ball...secure it and take the sack so that we at least get 3. When the opposing team brings more than you can block (and yes, even with an extra back in, the guy that would have been covering him could have just blitzed as well still making it more than we could block), it's on the QB to audible to something that can beat it and get the ball out of his hands. Joe even said that play was on him.

Take a look at this...

And take a look at this...

Same play...only Eli got rid of it immediately.
    Joe never blames anyone ever. He tried to get rid of it quickly, but it became a bouncing ball that landed in Fletchers lap. Plus, running hot routes in the Redzone can lead to easy picks because Lb's, Cb, and S are looking to jump the route. Then you get no points. Just poor play design. Why split Rice a yard from the sideline? Is he a big target? Will he have time to cross the feild? Do you run a fade pattern to Rice? Total offensive ineptitude.

Joe never blames anyone ever. He tried to get rid of it quickly, but it became a bouncing ball that landed in Fletchers lap. Plus, running hot routes in the Redzone can lead to easy picks because Lb's, Cb, and S are looking to jump the route. Then you get no points. Just poor play design. Why split Rice a yard from the sideline? Is he a big target? Will he have time to cross the feild? Do you run a fade pattern to Rice? Total offensive ineptitude.
    Huh?

EVERYBODY knows that the way to beat those blitzes is to get rid of the ball quickly. I'd argue that a jumped route is much less likely because they have zero help if they get beat. Your logic basically says there is no hope when teams bring more than you can block. And who's to say A...the ball has to go to Rice and B...the person who was covering Rice wouldn't blitz since his man is staying in to block...you know that is a common scheme, if you are in man and your man stays in to block you rush the passer.

When you have more guys coming than are blocking...which can happen whether you have 5 guys blocking or 9...it's up to the QB to beat the blitz and that goes for the pre snap reads to the post snap reads.

Did you see the second link? Eli had a man bearing down on him in his face...completely free and he threw the ball quick.

If nothing...nothing else, Joe needs to eat the ball there and at least give us a FG attempt. That goes to poor awareness...you don't try and throw in that situation.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

If nothing...nothing else, Joe needs to eat the ball there and at least give us a FG attempt. That goes to poor awareness...you don't try and throw in that situation.
    And the frustrating thing? Flacco used to be much better at protecting the ball earlier in his career. Whether it was luck, or whether he's trying to do more than what he's capable of, he seems to be much more of a game-killer these days.

Huh?

EVERYBODY knows that the way to beat those blitzes is to get rid of the ball quickly. I'd argue that a jumped route is much less likely because they have zero help if they get beat. Your logic basically says there is no hope when teams bring more than you can block. And who's to say A...the ball has to go to Rice and B...the person who was covering Rice wouldn't blitz since his man is staying in to block...you know that is a common scheme, if you are in man and your man stays in to block you rush the passer.

When you have more guys coming than are blocking...which can happen whether you have 5 guys blocking or 9...it's up to the QB to beat the blitz and that goes for the pre snap reads to the post snap reads.

Did you see the second link? Eli had a man bearing down on him in his face...completely free and he threw the ball quick.

I agree that Joe needed to eat the ball and take the 3, but the design of that play was horrid for OUR offense. Ravens dont use Hot routes, Cam hates them. With a short feild everybody plays closer and is bump and run. It's a risky play formation with that down and distance at that spot on the feild. Their are way better play options than that risky one. I have to think real hard when the last time the Ravens did a hot route. Real hard. They pissed away an easy 3 and with a 1 back set and a TE at the line, Joe has 2 safety valves to gain 5 yards, not to mention protection or an open WR if thier was one.

Huh?

Problem is that they are two different formations and two different pressures. Eli didn't have someone bear on him from the front, so he had a chance to step forward. Joe had an empty backfield and the Blitzer came right at him.

Joe has also made plays like that out of the I before.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2

Re: Coaching Change -- Cam Cameron has been Fired

I agree that Joe needed to eat the ball and take the 3, but the design of that play was horrid for OUR offense. Ravens dont use Hot routes, Cam hates them. With a short feild everybody plays closer and is bump and run. It's a risky play formation with that down and distance at that spot on the feild. Their are way better play options than that risky one. I have to think real hard when the last time the Ravens did a hot route. Real hard. They pissed away an easy 3 and with a 1 back set and a TE at the line, Joe has 2 safety valves to gain 5 yards, not to mention protection or an open WR if thier was one.
    I don't believe that at all. But it feeds into the Cam bashing so whatever.

Like I said, even if we are the only team in the last 50 years to not have a hot route available, Joe needs to eat the ball

Quote Originally Posted by StingerNLG View Post
    Problem is that they are two different formations and two different pressures. Eli didn't have someone bear on him from the front, so he had a chance to step forward. Joe had an empty backfield and the Blitzer came right at him.

Joe has also made plays like that out of the I before.

Sting...on the Manning play, a LB and a safety drop down on Manning's front side. The LB is picked up and the safety is basically at the LOS with a running start at the snap...he was completely free running in Mannings face.

The only difference is that the free man on Joe was a DE/OLB and the free man in Manning's face was a safety...and Manning wasn't in the shotgun...and the Saints at least tried to disguise their blitz. But the main part of the play was the same though...a free man running and closing quickly on the front side.

He didn't step forward either.

I don't believe that at all. But it feeds into the Cam bashing so whatever.

Like I said, even if we are the only team in the last 50 years to not have a hot route available, Joe needs to eat the ball

Sting...on the Manning play, a LB and a safety drop down on Manning's front side. The LB is picked up and the safety is basically at the LOS with a running start at the snap...he was completely free running in Mannings face.

The only difference is that the free man on Joe was a DE/OLB and the free man in Manning's face was a safety...and Manning wasn't in the shotgun...and the Saints at least tried to disguise their blitz. But the main part of the play was the same though...a free man running and closing quickly on the front side.

He didn't step forward either.
    I'm watching the video RIW. Its just not the same situation. But I've also seen Eli fumble out of these. I don't indict Flacco as much over this one play.

Blog Entries

Re: Coaching Change -- Cam Cameron has been Fired

I can't wait to see what this offense can do without Cam handcuffing it but I do question the timing. Why now? They could have stripped him of his playcalling duties and kept him on as basically a consultant until the end of the season. Cam doesn't seem like the type but he could sell info about our team to the highest bidder by signing on with one of our competitors.