Page 98 of 333 FirstFirst ... 96979899100 ... LastLast
Results 1,165 to 1,176 of 3987

Re: New draft/FA/offseason thread

So I just watched some of Elam's highlights...and yes they are highlights for a reason...but I was very...very impressed with how physical he is in the run game considering his size.

He really reminded me of a little bigger version of Bob Sanders. He won't test as well as Sanders...I would assume...but the guy looks like he can be a beast in the box.

Considering that I don't think an ILB or OT will be there at the end of the first where we pick that IMHO would be worth that pick, Elam could very well be a guy to look at (along with a guy like Hunt).
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    So I just watched some of Elam's highlights...and yes they are highlights for a reason...but I was very...very impressed with how physical he is in the run game considering his size.

He really reminded me of a little bigger version of Bob Sanders. He won't test as well as Sanders...I would assume...but the guy looks like he can be a beast in the box.

Considering that I don't think an ILB or OT will be there at the end of the first where we pick that IMHO would be worth that pick, Elam could very well be a guy to look at (along with a guy like Hunt).
    Elam has turned into my number one target this past while. Closely followed by Arthur brown and sharif floyd or Kawan short.

Quote Originally Posted by arnie_uk View Post
    Elam has turned into my number one target this past while. Closely followed by Arthur brown and sharif floyd or Kawan short.
    Elam is a phenomenal prospect. He's right there neck and neck with Kenny Vaccaro as the top safety in the class, and I'd be thrilled with either of those two. I like the other prospects you mentioned as well. Floyd and Short are both in the upper 2nd round or so at this point so I don't think the Ravens have a shot at them without trading back (and risking losing out on Elam) or trading up. Arthur Brown will probably be there at the end of the 2nd unless he rises a lot.

Another ILB I've recently caught up on is AJ Klein. Similar to Arthur Brown, he's a great leader on the field. He's certainly not the athlete that guys like Ogletree and Brown are, but he's a very natural ILB/MLB with underrated coverage ability who plays VERY physical and tough.

Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    Elam is a phenomenal prospect. He's right there neck and neck with Kenny Vaccaro as the top safety in the class, and I'd be thrilled with either of those two. I like the other prospects you mentioned as well. Floyd and Short are both in the upper 2nd round or so at this point so I don't think the Ravens have a shot at them without trading back (and risking losing out on Elam) or trading up. Arthur Brown will probably be there at the end of the 2nd unless he rises a lot.

Another ILB I've recently caught up on is AJ Klein. Similar to Arthur Brown, he's a great leader on the field. He's certainly not the athlete that guys like Ogletree and Brown are, but he's a very natural ILB/MLB with underrated coverage ability who plays VERY physical and tough.
    I'm really behind trading back for a 2nd and 3rd. Then using a third and 4th maybe even need a 6th to get a mid second.

Elam, floyd, and brown all in the second round.

Hey guys, what do you think about Levine Toilolo?

I know it's not a need and probably won't be an option for us, but it would be nice to get a big 6-8 athletic target for Joe...I think a guy like that would be a huge help in the red zone.

Just looking for opinions...I think he will be going in the 3rd round range.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Blog Entries

I would be stocked with Matt Elam in the first round.

I know it's not a need and probably won't be an option for us, but it would be nice to get a big 6-8 athletic target for Joe...I think a guy like that would be a huge help in the red zone.

Would be thrilled of they got him in the third. Wouldn't surprise me at all to see them go tight end in the third either. If they feel he's worth the pick that us.

Can you imagine Joe with his size/arm strength throwing up the seam to a 6-8 TE? YIKES. And the red zone? Forget about it.
    Last edited by Sirdowski; 01-14-2013 at 09:14 PM.
    “Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people.”

–Eleanor Roosevelt

If you jump back a ways earlier in the thread a lot of us are actually really down with the idea of spending a mid round pick on a big, athletic mismatch TE that can block.

The way the league is moving I would much, much rather run a base offense that uses 2 tight ends rather than a more traditional I-formation offense. No disrespect to Leach, but taking him off the field and replacing him with a big TE only loses you a little bit of run blocking (especially if we use more sweeps, draws, and stretch runs that Rice really seems to do well with) and gains you much more passing ability. Dickson's gone after next year, maybe even before that if he's traded, so we need to draft a TE and he needs to be able to block.

Specifically regarding Toilolo... just for me personally, he's not one of my favorite prospects at the position. But I haven't watched a whole ton of film on him so maybe my opinion will change and he absolutely has massive upside with his measurables and athleticism. Personally, my favorite mid-round TE in the draft is Gavin Escobar.

Dickson's gone after next year, maybe even before that if he's traded....
    I wouldn't be so sure of this. The new OC might find ways to actually use him effectively, and he has shown a lot of improvement since his earlier "drop" period of his short career.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    I would be stocked with Matt Elam in the first round.
    Me too I've been pimping him for awhile. He could be a day 1 starter at FS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by alien bird View Post
    I wouldn't be so sure of this. The new OC might find ways to actually use him effectively, and he has shown a lot of improvement since his earlier "drop" period of his short career.
    Both TEs are up for new contracts in 2014 (they're both RFAs in 2013). I agree that Dickson has shown some improvement, but they're not going to resign him, not when he's not much more than a strict backup right now.

I just don't see him offering anything that Pitta doesn't which is what your 2nd TE needs to do. People say he's faster or more athletic but it doesn't show up on tape and neither one of them can block worth a lick. Dickson and Pitta are basically the same player, except Pitta has better hands.

The way the league is moving I would much, much rather run a base offense that uses 2 tight ends rather than a more traditional I-formation offense. No disrespect to Leach, but taking him off the field and replacing him with a big TE only loses you a little bit of run blocking (especially if we use more sweeps, draws, and stretch runs that Rice really seems to do well with) and gains you much more passing ability.
    Some people here lose their minds anytime releasing Leach is brought up, but I agree...he is taking up a ton of cap room for a FB and frankly, if we are going to be a passing team, he is not going to be very valuable.

2 TE's with one acting as sort of an H-back...the way Houston runs their 2 TE sets is what I would do, but like I said, bringing up the possibility of Leach being released is always met with fire and brimstone by posters here lol.