Page 237 of 333 FirstFirst ... 235236237238239 ... LastLast
Results 2,833 to 2,844 of 3987
    Blog Entries

Re: New draft/FA/offseason thread

I can't see the team passing up a talent like Tavon Austin, especially in a draft filled with depth at defensive areas Ozzie wants to focus on.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    I can't see the team passing up a talent like Tavon Austin, especially in a draft filled with depth at defensive areas Ozzie wants to focus on.
    Man I want Tavon Austin bad. Could you imagine this offense with Torrey Smith and Jacoby Jones on the outside with Tavon Austin, Boldin and Pitta working the middle? Then, of course having Rice and Pierce running it.

Blog Entries

Mathieu is undisciplined off the field and that absolutely translate to the feild from what some respected scouts say. He wasnt higher than 5th round in some scouts eyes before his issues. He has a high ceiling and certainly can be a playmaker but is that worth the majority of plays not being in position? I think he gets drafted, and honestly higher than i or hopefully ozzie would. I think 5th and beyond is good for him but i doubt he gets past the third. High potential, high risk, weve seen guys like that go undrafted so as much as i dont think itll happen, cant say ifld be shocked if he did either.
    -JAB

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Paintballguy View Post
    Man I want Tavon Austin bad. Could you imagine this offense with Torrey Smith and Jacoby Jones on the outside with Tavon Austin, Boldin and Pitta working the middle? Then, of course having Rice and Pierce running it.
    If Ozzie thinks that he can get Kevin Minter by moving up in the second, which, by the time the combine and so forth is over with he probably could, he will take Austin if he is there. Even if Jones is released, you have Deonte Thompson and Tavon Austin to compete for time. That's not a bad problem to have.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

If Ozzie thinks that he can get Kevin Minter by moving up in the second, which, by the time the combine and so forth is over with he probably could, he will take Austin if he is there. Even if Jones is released, you have Deonte Thompson and Tavon Austin to compete for time. That's not a bad problem to have.
    We will know a lot more in a few weeks.

You just know some of these buzz players are going to get knocked down a peg because of a poor combine, and then they will start to slide.

I honestly wouldn't mind trading pick 32 for a high 2nd and an additional 4th similar to last year. Last year we traded 29 (1st) and got 35 (2nd) and 98 (4th).

Obviously it depends on who is available. I wouldn't mind taking a WR with our first pick. Or a LB. I think other positions of need (S, DT) can be filled later.

Blog Entries

Austin in the 1st and Minter in the 2nd would be my ideal draft for the first 2 rounds. Austin is just too big of a play maker to pass up IMO. He's what this offense needs too. Someone that can get open and get tons of YAC.

Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    Mathieu is undisciplined off the field and that absolutely translate to the feild from what some respected scouts say. He wasnt higher than 5th round in some scouts eyes before his issues. He has a high ceiling and certainly can be a playmaker but is that worth the majority of plays not being in position? I think he gets drafted, and honestly higher than i or hopefully ozzie would. I think 5th and beyond is good for him but i doubt he gets past the third. High potential, high risk, weve seen guys like that go undrafted so as much as i dont think itll happen, cant say ifld be shocked if he did either.
    He is one of the guys with the biggest variations on scouts opinions.

Some feel the way you just typed and I've read that some are in love with his playmaking ability.

Frankly, the way the LSU secondary actually dropped significantly this year after an absolutely lights out year last year, tells me he can't be too bad and screwing the team over that much if they were that much better with him than without him.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Re: Draft / FA / Offseason Roster Moves (Merged)

It's not easy to get caught selling weed at college.
    I don't know when and where you went to college, but it was NOT the case when/where I went... which was New England in the late 90's/early 2000's... and in general they are FAR more lax with the green up there.

And there are a lot of small corners that succeed in this league. Webba nd Brent Grimes for 2 great ones. IMO, Mathieu would walk into the league as one of the better sub package DB's in football. Add in his ST value and the potential to make it as an everydown corner or safety and IMO, even with his issues, he'sa late 3rd early 4th bargain.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Paintballguy View Post
    Austin in the 1st and Minter in the 2nd would be my ideal draft for the first 2 rounds. Austin is just too big of a play maker to pass up IMO. He's what this offense needs too. Someone that can get open and get tons of YAC.
    Problem is I doubt both Minter and Austin will be available given the space between our 1st and 2nd picks.

We would need for both of them to slide into the 2nd round probably, and acquire a high 2nd pick by trading out of the 1st round. Right now both Minter and Austin seem to be 1st/2nd picks, and I doubt both will be available at our current 32 and 64 spots.

I've seen both Minter and Austin projected for late 1st round.

EDIT: Note our 64 spot is really 62, since CLE used their 2nd rounder in the supp. draft and NO lost their 2nd rounder due to bountygate. So we kind of luck out and get a 2 spot bump.
    Last edited by bt12483; 02-16-2013 at 06:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    He is one of the guys with the biggest variations on scouts opinions.

Some feel the way you just typed and I've read that some are in love with his playmaking ability.

Frankly, the way the LSU secondary actually dropped significantly this year after an absolutely lights out year last year, tells me he can't be too bad and screwing the team over that much if they were that much better with him than without him.
    THey did, also lose Claiborne.

Blog Entries

Mathieu comes off as one of those tweeners who will need the right Defensive Coordinator to see his talents utilized properly.

I know that a lot of people want to focus on defensive talent, but you still shouldn't pass up on such a rare talent if he becomes available.

Jacoby Jones made some great plays, but how many plays did he make when the ball was not placed in his lap? How many key blocks did he make in run support? How many tackles did he break after the catch? Other than one in the Super Bowl. There are still questions about his hands when he's forced to use them. Boldin is 33 years old. If they keep him without an extension, this will certainly be his last year here.

Mathieu comes off as one of those tweeners who will need the right Defensive Coordinator to see his talents utilized properly.

I know that a lot of people want to focus on defensive talent, but you still shouldn't pass up on such a rare talent if he becomes available.

Jacoby Jones made some great plays, but how many plays did he make when the ball was not placed in his lap? How many key blocks did he make in run support? How many tackles did he break after the catch? Other than one in the Super Bowl. There are still questions about his hands when he's forced to use them. Boldin is 33 years old. If they keep him without an extension, this will certainly be his last year here.
    oh I agree, I wouldn't pass up on Austin if we have a chance at him.