Page 20 of 333 FirstFirst ... 1819202122 ... LastLast

Re: New draft/FA/offseason thread

Curry never played for the Saints.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Quote Originally Posted by Carey View Post
    Imo i wouldnt want to see Upshaw lumbering around the field at the sam in a 4-3. I think if we did switch to the 4-3 we'd have to find two starting OLB's.
    so what would you do with upshaw? De?

Quote Originally Posted by arnie_uk View Post
    so what would you do with upshaw? De?
    Yea i think he'd have to, i think anything more them having do some zone drops would be a stretch.

I really think you guys should re-read Filmstudy's defensive notes and take a look at McClellan's tape especially earlier on in the season. The sample size isn't huge, but I think he's a much better SAM linebacker than ILB, he seems more comfortable playing on the outside and he sets the edge really well. He doesn't get after the quarterback at a really high level, and that's why when he's been playing at OLB they've been mostly dropping him into coverage on passing downs and he's been good in that role.

Upshaw was used in that kind of role and he hasn't been good in coverage. I like him as a power, run-stuffing DE in the 4-3, with McClellan setting the edge at SLB. Now, admittedly, they'd probably be looking to sub in some quick twitch guys in passing downs, but they've had success using that strategy--just look at Kruger, he's making a killing as primarily a nickel edge rusher this year, just like he did last year.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JustaslowZ06 View Post
    Admitting I haven't seen all of them play a whole ton of games, BUT the Saints are on alot so saw Curry play. He has the physical tools and was pretty good. Gholston, while watching his team play didn't get called his name alot. Dunno just saying, maybe it's just me but watching the games you heard Curry's name making tackles alot more than those other 2. Shrugshoulders.
    Curry played for the Seahawks and Raiders. Never played for the Saints. The Seahawks defense became very good after they dumped Curry.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    Curry never played for the Saints.
    Yeah my fault, meant Seahawks.

Right now my dream draft is looking like so.

Matt Elam. Can play centre field, often lines up one on one with receivers. I've seen him blitz, play on the box, he's the clear leader on the d, shouting out adjustments and calls. He can intercept the ball, the only criticism I have ATM is he launches to much. Needs to wrap up more, could be liable to defenceless receiver penalties at the next left. Plays with great fire, passion and intensity. Much like pollard, except better i coverage, could be the next great centre fielder.

Jesse Williams or margus hunt, both need to be developed, both are raw, Williams hasn't offered much of a pass rush, I'm not sure if he'd develop into more than Cody would. With hunt we could move ngata to nt, have hunt and jones at de.

Hunt comes with the added bonus of being a special teams ace which harbaugh will love. He's had 14 blocked kicks or something crazy like that.

Another guy to look at here, maybe even trade down a wee bit is Jordan hill of penn state. He's a solid run defender, but what really impresses me is his ability to rush the passer, he's got some speed an burst about him, dominating what many say is a great Wisconsin oline. Again ngata would be a nose tackle here with hill and jones de.

Arthur brown ilb Kansas state. Many are wanting ogletree in the first, I think Arthur brown would be incredibly better value later. His instincts are better, he's a better tackler, trusts whats he sees, can fight of blocks well, reads and diagnoses plays early. Is great on coverage, can run with anyone, evidenced by chasing down rg3 last year. Only concern is his size, ogletree is 2,3 inches bigger and maybe 10 pounds. He needs to add some weight to play ilb in a 34, but not to much to hinder his movement skills.

Then hopefully get a third round comp pick and take Brandon Jenkins. He's injured and so will drop, but in the third he is great value. Could potentially replace Paul Kruger who I see leaving. He was dominate in 2010 and seen more attention in 2011 but still notched 8 sacks.

Tis draft IMO fixes pretty much every main issue on defense we have inside the first three rounds.

UofCincinnati Center Benavides looks to be a physical clone of Gino.
    And from what little we heard about Gino at Delaware (a tenacious technician), maybe a playstyle clone also. I wouldn't want two Ginos on the roster. I'm looking for more of a punch and driver.

Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    I really think you guys should re-read Filmstudy's defensive notes and take a look at McClellan's tape especially earlier on in the season. The sample size isn't huge, but I think he's a much better SAM linebacker than ILB, he seems more comfortable playing on the outside and he sets the edge really well. He doesn't get after the quarterback at a really high level, and that's why when he's been playing at OLB they've been mostly dropping him into coverage on passing downs and he's been good in that role.

Upshaw was used in that kind of role and he hasn't been good in coverage. I like him as a power, run-stuffing DE in the 4-3, with McClellan setting the edge at SLB. Now, admittedly, they'd probably be looking to sub in some quick twitch guys in passing downs, but they've had success using that strategy--just look at Kruger, he's making a killing as primarily a nickel edge rusher this year, just like he did last year.
    I actually kinda forget about McClellan in the equation as a 4-3 sam, he obviously sets the edge well but in short areas he actually moves pretty well in space and reads plays well. AFC playbook on NFL Network highlighted his play early in the season as well. I think he could do a nice job, maybe not a great amount of upside as far as coverage in intermediate to deeper areas though.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BigPlayReceiver View Post
    UofCincinnati Center Benavides looks to be a physical clone of Gino.
    And from what little we heard about Gino at Delaware (a tenacious technician), maybe a playstyle clone also. I wouldn't want two Ginos on the roster. I'm looking for more of a punch and driver.
    Benavides is at Louisville.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Benavides is at Louisville.
    ha! Of course...thanks.

I don't know if it has been said but we should get some good compensatory picks, maybe even a 3rd rounder, and multiple later round picks.

We lost:
    Ben Grubbs(pro bowler)
    Jarrett Johnson(good starter)
    Corey Redding(good starter)
    Nakamura(starter for panthers I think?)
    Zbikowski(starter for indy?)

We picked up:
    Jacoby Jones(KR)
    Corey Graham(backup D, special teams)
    Kemo(decent starter)

So we got lost 5 starter quality talent and got 2. We should get some good picks in exchange, hopefully up to a 3rd rounder and we can rebuild our team. Also, it will give more flexibility for moves although the compensentory picks themselves are untradable.

Also kind of explains our lack of talent because of the salary cap. This year hopefully we have some more cap space to work with, maybe at a cost of a cap casualty.