Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Two straight losses by defense

For the second straight week, our "defense" gives away a game on the opponent's last possession of regulation (they did that vs. Eagles, too.) Last week, a six minute drive allowed to Batch, this week a nearly five minute drive to the Foreskins (capped by allowing a rookie backup to throw a pass down the middle to yet another uncovered receiver, to throw a TD in a must score situation, then allowed said rookie to stroll in untouched for the tying two point conversion!) No red zone defense the past two games (Steelers 2 for 5, Skins 4 for 5.)

Prevent victory defenses don't work.

Not enough no huddle by Clam, as well as twice not using play action on second down when he should have (play before Fletcher pick, and another on, I believe, the next possession.) Only one or two rollouts.

Bah.

Edit - I'm so pissed I can't spell straight.
    Al

Blog Entries

Re: Two strakght losses by defense

Not only has this defense cost us against Pittsburgh and Washington (back to back weeks no less), but at the hands of a retirement home third string QB and a rookie backup.

Think about that.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

4 touchdowns and 20 points should have been enough to end those games.

Defense shit the bed for certain, but they didn't turn the ball over on the 15 yard line in opponents territory coming away with no points in the redzone. A field goal there most likely would have secured the win. Or how about how special teams allowed the Redskins to run the kickoff back to the Ravens 30 yard line in OT?
    Too many different mistakes to pin the blame solely one side of the ball.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by palukaraven View Post
    Defense shit the bed for certain, but they didn't turn the ball over on the 15 yard line in opponents territory coming away with no points in the redzone. A field goal there most likely would have secured the win. Too many different mistakes to pin the blame solely one side of the ball.
    When your offense goes on the road, puts up 28 points and gives you an 8 point lead with under three minutes left in the game, you have to close that deal. When your offense gives you twenty points against Charlie Batch, you have to close that deal.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    When your offense goes on the road, puts up 28 points and gives you an 8 point lead with under three minutes left in the game, you have to close that deal. When your offense gives you twenty points against Charlie Batch, you have to close that deal.
    Agreed. However, there are too many mistakes on all sides of the ball to point the blame specifically on the defense. False starts, poor kick off coverage by special teams, turn overs in the opponents red zone, fumbles, etc. etc. The defense absolutely sucked and showed a pathetic performance, I just see too many mistakes all over the field. The Ravens just aren't a good team on offense or defense.

In addition to palukaraven's points... exactly which UDFA were you expecting to save the day?

I hate three man rushes... a wide open middle of the field sure... I think our DC is Mattison 2.0

Yet, I really believe this is a team cluster fuck - I am never surprised to see us sit on drives at the end of the half (the coach is too risk averse), stupid timeouts (really stupid in the second half).. and yes, I know we put up points but when we can't stop someone else its up to our offense to out score them/keep the ball away.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by redmike34 View Post
    In addition to palukaraven's points... exactly which UDFA were you expecting to save the day?
    The one that wouldn't let a back up QB from Michigan State come in take the game from them. He wasn't a UDFA, but Mr. Johnson could have helped by not hooking the WR on third down, when it was clearly unnecessary.

The one that wouldn't let a back up QB from Michigan State come in take the game from them. He wasn't a UDFA, but Mr. Johnson could have helped by not hooking the WR on third down, when it was clearly unnecessary.
    And my point was, it's somewhat unrealistic to expect a defense comprised of not a whole lot of talent right now to do much in the way of saving games.

In other words, they didn't stop the backup QB in their own house last week. Why would you expect them to do it on the road this week? Particularly w/o Suggs?

Too many injuries...

11. Re: Two strakght losses by defense

Dean Piss has to go...I know there were some people who were fooled when we had a stretch of games when we played good defense against some very weak offenses, but his bend don't break, 2 and 3 man rushes and soft zone defense is killing us in crucial moments of the game.
    You guys wanna hear a funny joke?

DEAN PEES............That is all

Our D just flat out sucks right now. They are so banged up I fear that we may not make the playoffs. If we do get there it will be short lived. They need to be able to close the deal and they just can't get it done.

Also, our O played well in the first half and then looked like a completely different unit in the second half. Very frustrating.
    "I don't know a man on this Earth who can outwork me". Ray Lewis