Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Ed Reed - nobody has mentioned it, so I will.

His mind is still back in 2005, but his body is far removed from it. That sums it up. The same stubbornness that has made someone like him and Ray Lewis great, is what's going to make it an unhappy ending for both of them.

As for the game, yes, the offense was the one that didn't hold serve with it's normal output at M and T WHICH IS OVER 35 PPG!!! In part, because they haven't had a choice. The defense got run over by the team you would least expect (Dallas), who can't run for shit. Brady and Belichick had their offense moving like they were on an assembly line.

How soon people forget this.

The issue here isn't the offense. It's the coaching staff's reluctance to realize that they'll need a cut-throat, cerebral offense to make it anywhere in the playoffs, because the D can't do it anymore.

Charlie Batch was standing back there making a tuna fish sandwich on some of those throws, with half of the starting offensive line hurt.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

The issue here IS the offense. Because they invested so heavily acquiring and retaining talent on that side of the ball sometimes at the expense of the defense, it was expected to shoulder more of the load. So far it hasn't. Big brother isn't there to bail them out anymore. Time for them to step up.

Blog Entries

People need to take a long hard look at them selves for disrespecting Ed Reed and blaming the loss on him, he almost won us the game.

Offensive apologists amuse me, they will go as far to defend them by blaming someone who has actually been playing at a high level for us for the last decade in Ed Reed.

Blog Entries

Wicked's dead on here, and no he isnt blaming Reed. If you want to give him props for coming up big with an INT fine, normally id agree with you that it warrants praise. After freelancing and being out of position on multiple plays to be in said position to need a "big play", i cant hardly say he deserves praise/criticism over any other player. He was just as much a part of the problem as he was the solution. So i guess props for breaking even that one series?

the offense getting criticized for not scoring their "home average" when facing the #1 defense, while the defense getting a pass for allowing about their "home average" against a 3rd string qb and banged up OL is a horrible argument. 20 points should have been enough to win the game when their 2nd string and healthier OL only got 10 at home 2 weeks prior. i think people should stop always just looking at Flacco and Cam for every loss and this is a prime example of a team loss where the defense needed to step up and didnt.

we got beat, period. they wanted it more and they took it from us.
    -JAB

I love watching Ed Reed, love what's he's done for the Ravens, and there's no doubt he's still a playmaker ...but ...as others have pointed out here his gambling sometimes gets us burned. I saw at least one occasion where he tried to outguess Batch and jump the route, but Batch pump-faked and threw it over his head for a big gain on a 3rd down conversion (forget if it was to Brown or Sanders). I'm no analyst, but it was glaringly obvious on the overhead replay. More and more this year I've come around to the idea that the Ravens can no longer afford his style of gambling back in the secondary. And am I the only one who thought it was crazy for Ed to return that INT out of the end zone? He was damn near tackled at the 3 yard line.

It'd be silly to blame Ed for Sunday's loss --- let's face it, Flacco was pretty bad out there and the Steelers beat us on both sides of the ball --- but I'm really wondering (sadly) if the Ravens wouldn't be better off in 2013 without Ed.

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    As for the game, yes, the offense was the one that didn't hold serve with it's normal output at M and T WHICH IS OVER 35 PPG!!! In part, because they haven't had a choice. The defense got run over by the team you would least expect (Dallas), who can't run for shit. Brady and Belichick had their offense moving like they were on an assembly line.

How soon people forget this.

The issue here isn't the offense. It's the coaching staff's reluctance to realize that they'll need a cut-throat, cerebral offense to make it anywhere in the playoffs, because the D can't do it anymore.

Charlie Batch was standing back there making a tuna fish sandwich on some of those throws, with half of the starting offensive line hurt.
    Actually. it's now 34 ppg, thanks to that stinker.

If you're surprised that this defense gave up 23 to the Steelers when it gave up 20 to the Raiders and 29 to the Cowboys, I don't know what to tell you.

Interestingly, the Ravens defense is just about the same on the road this year as it was last year, in terms of points allowed--they're right at giving up ~18.5 ppg away. The big difference is the defense at home. Last year they were averaging only ~14 ppg allowed at M&T. This year, over a TD more.

At any rate, I stand by my opinion.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    People need to take a long hard look at them selves for disrespecting Ed Reed and blaming the loss on him, he almost won us the game.

Offensive apologists amuse me, they will go as far to defend them by blaming someone who has actually been playing at a high level for us for the last decade in Ed Reed.
    Who the hell is blaming Ed Reed for the loss?
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    Wicked's dead on here, and no he isnt blaming Reed. If you want to give him props for coming up big with an INT fine, normally id agree with you that it warrants praise. After freelancing and being out of position on multiple plays to be in said position to need a "big play", i cant hardly say he deserves praise/criticism over any other player. He was just as much a part of the problem as he was the solution. So i guess props for breaking even that one series?

the offense getting criticized for not scoring their "home average" when facing the #1 defense, while the defense getting a pass for allowing about their "home average" against a 3rd string qb and banged up OL is a horrible argument. 20 points should have been enough to win the game when their 2nd string and healthier OL only got 10 at home 2 weeks prior. i think people should stop always just looking at Flacco and Cam for every loss and this is a prime example of a team loss where the defense needed to step up and didnt.

The offense is getting criticized for not even being able to hold on to the ball late in the game. How many fans saw that fumble coming? Just watching it on TV half the stadium seemed to groan before it even happened. The defense wasn't good but at least they came up with some big plays. The only touchdowns the Ravens even got were after defensive turnovers. Take those away and you're looking at 6 points scored.

Blog Entries

This times infinity.

The offense was bad, but the defense was just as bad. Charlie Batch looked like Joe fucking Montana out there.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    The offense is getting criticized for not even being able to hold on to the ball late in the game. How many fans saw that fumble coming? Just watching it on TV half the stadium seemed to groan before it even happened. The defense wasn't good but at least they came up with some big plays. The only touchdowns the Ravens even got were after defensive turnovers. Take those away and you're looking at 6 points scored.
    im not standing up for the offense, it was bad across the board. However im not going to then turn a blind eye to the defense. the defense gave the Offense opportunities to score and they took advantage of it. Neither the Offense or defense did much on their own otherwise. only scoring 6 points or allowing 23 is pretty shitty for both.
    -JAB

Blog Entries

im not standing up for the offense, it was bad across the board. However im not going to then turn a blind eye to the defense. the defense gave the Offense opportunities to score and they took advantage of it. Neither the Offense or defense did much on their own otherwise. only scoring 6 points or allowing 23 is pretty shitty for both.
    I agree but at least Ed Reed made some plays when we really needed them. Ray Rice with that awesome TD run was probably the last time the offense did anything. After that I'm not even sure Rice was given a touch.

Blog Entries

Letting Dwyer score right before the half to go into the half 13-10 was a bigger deal than most want to talk about. Dwyer ran into the back of the line, which completely sealed off the edges, and Dwyer bounces his fat ass outside and walks into the end zone.

Gave them momentum. Gave them a reason to believe. Kept them close.

Not too mention that the D allowed Charlie Batch to just march down the field by throwing it to Heath Miller.

Had the D been able to hold them to a FG there, it may have been a very different game in the 2nd half and 20 points may have done it.

Just like JAB said, and others, this was a completely and utter team loss. Offense and Defense shit the bed big time. The coaches shit the bed even more because they didn't have this team prepared at all. They were sleep walking through the entire game and it was obvious that they had completely overlooked Charlie Batch.

There is no way that anyone can convince me that the Ravens that ANY team's 3rd string QB should have been able to do that to the Ravens at home. Not only was Charlie Batch completely overlooked, but what the fuck was with the pass rush? They had moved two different guys on their OL and had two starters out. HELLO.

The defense needs a complete overhaul. The offense needs some major work as well - namely in the coaching staff and on the OL - however, the defense REALLY needs a major overhaul because they can't cover for shit, they can't get to the QB, they can't tackle, and half the time we're all sitting around hoping that Ed Reed can make some magic and pick off some poor unsuspecting QB so that the D can finally get off the field.