Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Football and Faith

Quote Originally Posted by TheExtraPoint View Post
    What I do wonder is about how that resonates with people (inside or outside the organization) who don't believe in their coach's God, God in general, or that a God would be particularly concerned with his team's ability to work hard, do their job, and ultimately play a game.
    Well, because I do believe in the same god as Harbaugh, the question isn't really directed towards me.

But I will say this, as a fan of the Baltimore Ravens, I do not put my time, my money and my emotional investment into the team to find any sort of spiritual reward (there are other channels in my life for that). I do it to be entertained and to enjoy their successes (of course, I also agonize when they fail). In return, I only ask from them one thing: a professional effort on and off the field. With very little exception, I think I have gotten that from the Ravens. And the wins are a nice by-product.

The fact that Harbaugh is very out-front with his religion doesn't necessarily cause me to be more invested in the team. I don't think Billick ever referenced god as part of his coaching, and I was very happy with the job he did, for the most part.

So until someone shows me an example of how Harbaugh's religious faith determines how the team is managed, I see this as more or less a non-issue.
    Last edited by JohnBKistler; 11-30-2012 at 01:35 PM.