Quote Originally Posted by houstonravensfan View Post
Joe is a good QB, but he will be overpaid as if he were a very good QB because the FO has left themselves with no choice.

Unlike other teams (a very few other teams) we have no proven experienced backup, nor a young backup QB with the physical skills and college record to strongly suggest he could develop into a quality NFL QB. As a Ravens fan I'd like to think Tyrod could be a sold NFL QB, but even after a full bottle of Tormaresco Puglia (DAMN good red) I am not irrational enough to believe that. If we do not overpay Joe, where are we at QB?

I hope I'm being overly pessimistic (I'll blame the wine) but it seems the FO failed to develop effective depth behind its key players -- Ray, Ed, Grubbs, Flacco. I'll admit we have Pierce behind Rice, but behind Ray -- UDFas; Ed --?; Grubbs -- Harewood? Jah?; Flacco -- Tyrod? Really?
Quote Originally Posted by Kevlar View Post
I like Flacco and hope he stays a Raven. But it does seem kinda dumb that the Ravens have no fallback option in his walk year. If i were Flacco I would test the waters. The Ravens need him more than he needs them. He would get top five money with the franchise tag if the Ravens go that route. If not some desperate team that thinks they are only a decent QB away from competing might overspend for him.
What is this notion of teams having a "fallback option" at QB? Franchise QBs are so rare that despite dozens of them being drafted each year, there are realistically less than 20 of them in the NFL right now. There is NO team in the NFL that legitimately has 2 franchise QBs (And no, the 49ers do not, they don't even have 1 ACTUl franchise QB.)

Teams that have no QB have to get one and it's NOT an easy process at all. Most of them are 1st round picks, a few of them are high-dollar FAs that are a good bit older. This isn't some sort of unique thing, this is the modern NFL.

If the Ravens can't or won't lock up Flacco long-term, there's really no other option apart from mortgaging their future to get one in the draft a la Washington. Even then, there's absolutely no guarantee that draftee would be an upgrade on Flacco.