View RSS Feed

wickedsolo

AFC North: We could see a lot of parity in Draft

Rate this Entry
I think Cleveland is really the only team that has an obvious need (QB) that won't have a shot at a franchise QB. However, other than that I think there will be a lot of parity amongst the draft selections in the AFC North and in my opinion there will be some scrambling to move in front of the other for certain draft picks.

Round 1:
4. Cleveland Browns – Justin Blackmon, WR, Oklahoma State (6’1” 215lbs). Blackmon was really impressive at his pro day and ran really well, which alleviated suspicions that he may not have the speed and quickness to gain separation in the NFL. Blackmon does a nice job getting in and out of his routes quickly and efficiently and he uses his hands really well to catch the ball rather than letting it get into his body. Cleveland needs a lot of things, but they have recently stated that they feel like they can be successful with Colt McCoy as long as they get him better weapons. Previous Pick: Morris Claiborne.

17. Cincinnati Bengals (from Oakland) – Stephon Gilmore, CB, South Carolina (6’1” 190lbs). The Bengals did try to keep Jon Joseph last off-season, but he had no interest in staying in Cinci. They have a good starting corner in Leon Hall and Nate Clements was ok, but as soon as Hall got injured their secondary was really exposed. Gilmore is a bit of a gambler at cornerback, but he’s got the size, long arms, and ball skills to be a very good starting perimeter corner in the NFL. Previous Pick: David DeCastro.

21. Cincinnati Bengals – Cordy Glenn, OG/T, Georgia (6’6” 345lbs). Glenn is an enormous road-grader of an offensive lineman. He’s got good footwork and long arms. Many scouts believe that he projects better as an offensive guard with the potential to play RT or LT in a pinch. I think the Bengals will give Glenn a long hard look if he is around at pick 21 now that they have signed Benjavarus Green-Ellis at RB and plan to use him as an every down back. Bobbie Williams was really missed when he broke his ankle and he’s likely to retire, so there is a definite need for an interior offensive lineman for the Bengals. Previous Pick: Lamar Miller.

22. Cleveland Browns (From Atlanta) – Nick Perry, DE, USC (6’3” 270lbs). Perry was a real head-turner at the combine. He showed up 20lbs heavier than his listed playing weight at USC and he put on one of the best 10-yard splits out of any defensive player, which for a 270-275lb man was truly impressive. The Browns stuck gold with Jabaal Sheard last year and look to expand upon their DL by getting arguably one of the better right ends in this entire draft. Perry brings a lot as a pass rusher and is an above average run stopper. I’m sure Browns fans will be doing a massive face palm at this point because they haven’t drafted a quarterback yet, but there are literally no other QB prospects worthy of a 1st round pick. Stay the course, build a standout defense, keep Colt McCoy healthy and give him weapons. See where the chips fall and hopefully take one of the QB’s in 2013. Previous Pick: Courtney Upshaw.

24. Pittsburgh Steelers – Stephen Hill, WR, Georgia Tech (6’4” 215lbs). Hear me out on this one before you jump all over it. Mike Wallace has recently declared that he wants more money than Larry Fitzgerald. It’s highly likely that he doesn’t get that kind of money, but it’s even more likely that the Steelers won’t be lining up to pay for Mike Wallace after this season when he becomes a UFA. Secondly, the Steelers are going to be pretty tight against the cap again next year, which means both Antonio Brown and Emmanuel Sanders, who are RFA’s, are going to probably get a 1st and 2nd round tender. At the end of the day, Pittsburgh could go from having one of the bright young WR units in the league to having a lot of nothing. Hill at least ensures a future deep threat with incredible size, which Roethlisberger likes, and it gives the Steelers the option to not pursue Mike Wallace. Previous Pick: Mike Adams.

29. Baltimore Ravens – Alshon Jeffrey, WR, South Carolina (6’4” 220lbs). I think a lot of Jeffrey’s stock will hinge on how he runs at SC’s pro-day this Wednesday, but if he drops here I think Baltimore would give a sincere look at the physical wide out. The Ravens have never had a receiver with his proportions and natural athleticism. He’s got great hands and is a mismatch for almost any cornerback. His routes are a little sloppy, but his wingspan is tremendous and Flacco could really benefit from having a bona fide red zone target at receiver. Ozzie, Bisciotti, and Harbaugh all stated that they want to get receivers who can catch the ball consistently and that was a major problem for Baltimore the last two seasons who have essentially been booted from the playoffs in back-to-back seasons from dropped would-be TD passes. Previous Pick: Dont’a Hightower.

Submit "AFC North: We could see a lot of parity in Draft" to Digg Submit "AFC North: We could see a lot of parity in Draft" to del.icio.us Submit "AFC North: We could see a lot of parity in Draft" to StumbleUpon Submit "AFC North: We could see a lot of parity in Draft" to Google

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

I don't see the Browns drafting Richardson fourth overall I think your right about that. I just hope the Steelers don't draft Hill, he would be a better fit for our offense than Alshon, imagine Torrey Smith and Stephen Hill going deep, that is just plain scary for any team.
    Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast
    I don't see the Browns drafting Richardson fourth overall I think your right about that. I just hope the Steelers don't draft Hill, he would be a better fit for our offense than Alshon, imagine Torrey Smith and Stephen Hill going deep, that is just plain scary for any team.

I agree that having Hill's speed would be better. The more I think about it, the more I could see the Steelers taking a WR in round 1. Kendall Wright, Stephen Hill, or even Alshon Jeffery. Unless a top rated OL'man or corner fall, I think they could go WR. Roethlisberger's worked with a crappy OL for so many years now, why not 1 more season?
    Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo
    I agree that having Hill's speed would be better. The more I think about it, the more I could see the Steelers taking a WR in round 1. Kendall Wright, Stephen Hill, or even Alshon Jeffery. Unless a top rated OL'man or corner fall, I think they could go WR. Roethlisberger's worked with a crappy OL for so many years now, why not 1 more season?
    Agreed, and tbh Hill makes a lot of sense for the Steelers, I know that they are likely to lose Wallace in 2013, but having a year trying to defend them both going deep could be daunting for us. And then your not losing much when Wallace leaves depending on how Hill develops, especially when you have Sanders and Brown on the team still.
    Hill could make sense for the Steelers. I do however think its more likely they try to find a guy they like in rounds 2-5 who has upside (kinda like they did with Wallace, Sanders and Brown) and address other needs with that first pick. I guess they could go WR if the right guy is there but based on their past history and the amount of depth they need to address with this draft, I would bet against them taking the WR in round 1 at least.

Oh yea and I have faith the Browns will screw this completely up and take a player not named Richardson or Claibourne.
    I think if the Browns keep the 4th pick (they could trade for more), they will either go Richardson or Tannehill, with Blackmon being a 3rd option. They have to score points in this conference.
Link To Mobile Site