Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Halftime Salute to the Colts/Ravens Marching Band

I have watched this "The Band That Wouldn't Die" film a couple times tonight and if you don't shed a tear somewhere during this film, then you're not a real fan --- ha! just joking about the real fan thing but seriously, this film is really riveting for me.

I think we need to organize a formal salute to the band because afterall, there is a valid point to be made that without them, there is no Ravens football, no 24X7, no emotional involvement on Sundays, no reason to be a fan. It sucked from 83-96 no? I mean really it sucked.

I think it would be great if during halftime at the next homegame...everyone gave up their piss break...their cancer stick break....their $7 a beer at halftime break and stood and applauded for the entire time.

Maybe its late right now and I spent too much time watchning this film and getting all sappy thinking about my grandfather and what it meant to him and how he passed that down onto me and I am brainwashing my kids with it now . But this band reallly goes unnoticed and really, for the most part, unappreciated.

Levinson really brought out the story...not as much about football or the colts/ravens or even the band but this greater thing that unites a a city around sport and the importance of generations connecting --- grandparents - parents - kids around something as great as a hometeam.

How great would it be if 24x7 organized this salute with all the people and connections we have. Calling in sports shows, writing the papers and getting momentum started to simple stand and applaud for 15 minutes and saying, "hey man, we get it...thanks".

Sticky this post and make a phone call...write an editor...mention it on talk shows.

Re: Halftime Salute to the Colts/Ravens Marching Band

Tony, I smell a good chance to get your product out more AND promote a worthy cause!

Seriously... do you go to the games? The band, while a neat story for TV for those lost years, SUCKS. They are a complete embarrassment. There are High School marching bands in the Baltimore area that would blow the Ravens band off the field. Why does no one stay in the stands at halftime? Because they are painful to watch. Most everyone in my section would prefer to see more highlighting of high school players or let some of the pee wee leagues get some field time. I went to the Giants/Ravens game last year and the stands went nuts when an 8 year old threw a Bomb (15 yards) and the receiver (7yo) caught it and ran it in for a touchdown. This would do much more to promote football in Baltimore than a bunch of (I'll refrain here, so lets just say over-anxious) band members rock out to the "latest from Ozzy Ozbourne".
    Ravens Band= Out of Tune + Out of Synch + Completely Out of Touch.

Just thought I'd say it because most people I know think it.... they are horrible and the only reason they are out there is because Colt fans just can't let go....

Quote Originally Posted by ravensscott57 View Post
    Seriously... do you go to the games? The band, while a neat story for TV for those lost years, SUCKS. They are a complete embarrassment. There are High School marching bands in the Baltimore area that would blow the Ravens band off the field. Why does no one stay in the stands at halftime? Because they are painful to watch. Most everyone in my section would prefer to see more highlighting of high school players or let some of the pee wee leagues get some field time. I went to the Giants/Ravens game last year and the stands went nuts when an 8 year old threw a Bomb (15 yards) and the receiver (7yo) caught it and ran it in for a touchdown. This would do much more to promote football in Baltimore than a bunch of (I'll refrain here, so lets just say over-anxious) band members rock out to the "latest from Ozzy Ozbourne".
    Ravens Band= Out of Tune + Out of Synch + Completely Out of Touch.

Just thought I'd say it because most people I know think it.... they are horrible and the only reason they are out there is because Colt fans just can't let go....
    :grbac:

Welcome to the boards ....

Now please go find daddy's shotgun, go into a room all alone and play with the trigger.

<<Welcome to the boards ....

Now please go find daddy's shotgun, go into a room all alone and play with the trigger. >>

Wow, I guess its evident there are idiot Ravens fans out there. Sorry I don't get my worth out of how many "posts" I put on the board. Been to every home game except 1 since the beginning, and am posting what Everyone in my section thinks. Why does the band get booed regularly? THEY SUCK.

I guess from the violent, divisive nature of your reply I can only assume that this was taken as a personal attack, so I guess I'll just say, have fun at tuba practice this week!

Why do you say there would be no Ravens without the band? If my memory serves me correctly David Modell was trying to dodge them when they moved the Browns here. He caved in when one of the band people pinned him down on live TV about whether or not the Ravens were going to use the band.

The band is really not my thing. The fact of the matter is that they just aren't very good. The NFL atmosphere is different than college.

Funny thing HoustonRaven... I've been a member of "The Boards" longer than you have.... whose the "Newbie"?

Quote Originally Posted by Purpleguy View Post
    Why do you say there would be no Ravens without the band? If my memory serves me correctly David Modell was trying to dodge them when they moved the Browns here. He caved in when one of the band people pinned him down on live TV about whether or not the Ravens were going to use the band.

The band is really not my thing. The fact of the matter is that they just aren't very good. The NFL atmosphere is different than college.
    I think the film explains a lot of what you are asking. The band is no technically sound unit...no one is claiming that. My wife was part of a band in high school and she cringes everytime they come out. That's insignificant though...these guys essentially held the torch while many of us gave up after the move and 2 expansion disappointments. That alone is enough to celebrate just for the history of Baltimore football.

Maybe it only makes sense for those who have a direct connection to the Baltimore Colts as Hr was describing or for those of us that can remember sitting at Memorial Stadium listening to the Colts fight song as young kids and older.

Fine, celebrate the history, have them do the opening, sit in the stands and cheer, and maybe do 2 halftimes a year that they could really "practice" and do something good rather than continually embarrass themselves. Baltimore deserves something good at halftime, definitely not what we currently have and for Heavens sake, please not every week.... and don't get me started on our National Anthem singer....

I think the band is awesome at the game. I see it as a call to arms when the lead the final wave of tailgaters into the stadium with the power of those horns and drums. Aside from the excitement of live music, the band is also a last bastion of originality in the NFL. How much flavor is there in playing "Woo-Hoo" all the time? Yeah, it's fun to hear that song, but the band has its place too. And some things are worth holding on to even if only as a symbol (or a shout out to the old timers).

That movie was incredible!!!!!!

Thumbs down Re: Halftime Salute to the Colts/Ravens Marching Band

Fortunately, Bisciotti was brought up as a Baltimore football fan and totally understands the significance of the Band to our football history. There's not a chance that he would diminish the Band's participation.

Tell your friends who boo the band (funny -- I never hear the booing) to take a break at halftime when the Band plays. And if pee-we football is there thing, I am sure that there are hundreds of sandlot games they can attend.

btw: I agree with Galen's suggestion, but it isn't going to happen unless the Ravens get behind it.
    Last edited by Mista T; 10-14-2009 at 02:42 PM.
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).

Not ashamed to say that I was fighting back tears and all choked up watching the movie. Most of us were on that decade-plus journey to get NFL football back in Baltimore and suffered scars that still may or may not have fully healed.

The Colts Marching Band was the force that greatly helped keep the dream alive, especially after that farce of an expansion lottery. Tagliabue can kiss the crack of my ass for being such a spiteful prick. But in the face of it all, THAT BAND kept the torch of hope lit in BMORE and for that, I owe them a debt of gratitude.

They proved that Baltimore could not and WOULD NOT be denied our birthright of an NFL Franchise, no matter how long it took!!