Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tale of The Tape: Room To Run

New Tale of The Tape

Colts can be had on the ground. Houston did themselves in by going away from the ground after they went down 21-16. 15 passes to 2 runs thereafter even with around a full quarter to play.

I think it will be interesting to see how the Ravens want to attack the Indy defense. Over the course of the season Rice has been the primary back on zone run plays and Pierce has gotten most of the carries on man scheme runs.

I would love to see Pierce get a few carries on outside zone runs because he has a knack for getting to the edge.

Re: Tale of The Tape: Room To Run

i'm usually a proponent of deferring if we win the coin toss. maybe we take the ball and make sure we have the lead. if we play from behind we could fall in the same trap as houston.

Not with Ray coming out of the tunnel. The crowd will already be louder than ever. Force the Colts to punt and we get points on the first drive and M & T could collapse.

Blog Entries

I'm still guarded about this. I want to say as recently as a few years ago, the Colts had the same knock going into the playoffs. Can't stop the run...

And then they proceeded to stop the run EVERY SINGLE GAME in the postseason. Can't recall enough details to make a claim here, but it sticks out in my mind...

If it helps, I think the reason was Bob Sanders. He had missed a ton of time right before the playoffs, but came back and suddenly, they had a Defense.

EDIT - Ok, it was their 2006-2007 SB season. They were 32nd in rushing yards allowed during the season, then suddenly got hot in the playoffs, holding Larry Johnson to 12 carries, 32 yards...Jamal to 53 yards...and then faced the perennial non-rushing team the Pats.
    Last edited by RavenScallywag; 01-04-2013 at 12:54 PM.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag View Post

EDIT - Ok, it was their 2006-2007 SB season. They were 32nd in rushing yards allowed during the season, then suddenly got hot in the playoffs, holding Larry Johnson to 12 carries, 32 yards...Jamal to 53 yards...and then faced the perennial non-rushing team the Pats.
    When they came into Baltimore everyone was sure we could run all over them. They put on a defensive clinic and made the Ravens look slow and foolish. I know it's not the same teams, but don't be surprised if the Colts muscle up and stifle the run.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mickeyotc View Post
    When they came into Baltimore everyone was sure we could run all over them. They put on a defensive clinic and made the Ravens look slow and foolish. I know it's not the same teams, but don't be surprised if the Colts muscle up and stifle the run.
    Rice put up over 100 on the Colts last year. Granted it's a different team and different scheme, but they have a lot of the same guys.

Their OLB's are really struggling against the run.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Paintballguy View Post
    Rice put up over 100 on the Colts last year. Granted it's a different team and different scheme, but they have a lot of the same guys.

Their OLB's are really struggling against the run.
    I guess it is important to note Bob Sanders in that season. He won the DPOY the next year, and I believe he had returned from injury very late in the year. Could actually be a big boost for Ravens fans who are worried...we have a TON of guys who have been recovering from injuries, maybe just now healthy for a run.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mickeyotc View Post
    Difference than is they knew we were struggling to pass.

However, just because they have had trouble stopping the run this year, doesn't mean this game will be the same.

Blog Entries

Colts don't have Gary Brackett anymore either. If memory serves correct he was a decent MLB except whenever they played the Ravens and all of a sudden he was all-world looking like a combo of Butkus and Ray Lewis.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    Difference than is they knew we were struggling to pass.

However, just because they have had trouble stopping the run this year, doesn't mean this game will be the same.
    Yep. Flacco has been very good at home this year too. Here are Flacco's stats at home:

100.5 QBR 15 TDS 5 INTS 295 yards/game 8.58 yards/attempt

History really doesn't matter in this instance.

Colts use to run a 4-3... now they run a 3-4.

Most of the players have changed.

We are a much greater threat to throw downfield at this point.

The tape says they can't stop the run.

Blog Entries

nice overview.

I think Houston just ran into a buzzsaw last week with Pagano returning. This week is a different matter ;)

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!