Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Re: A few questions from a Texan

I was wondering if somebody was going to mention Faidley's. It is a stand at Lexington Market, not a dinner place, but this would get my vote.

I honestly think Romano's in Glen Burnie is right up there with G&M.. And I've had both on consecutive days and am pretty sure that Romano's don't use as much filler..

Hellas in Millersville are great too but I think G&M may own that place and use the same recipe.

One thing I didnt figure out you could do until I was almost 30 (after living in Baltimore my whole life) was for $5 you can go to the observation deck of the World Trade Center. You can see the entire city and for miles in every direction. And they have signs and stuff that show what youre looking at. Check them out at http://www.viewbaltimore.org/

I've always loved G&M's as well. I didn't really notice a lot of filler. Maybe they hid it well?

As mentioned there is really no bad seat in M&T. Yes you are up high but my seats are as well. I have been at my seats for 11 years and I love it (besides a small number of lame Ravens fans near me). You can't beat the view.

As for the walk up if you are in decent shape it isn't that bad. If you're not you may want to take the ramps up instead of the steps to the upper level. I have done that in the past when I wasn't in good shape or if I brought someone who isn't.

My suggestion: Once you get up to the Upper Level stop, have a beer and relax, then head up to your seats. Make sure you get in there prior to the start of the festivities as it's pretty electric!
    I root for the Steelers; I root for their plane to go down.

I'd rather be dead than pessimistic.

Blog Entries

To all you all saying it's the wrong time of year for crab cakes, I hope you do know that "whole lump" crab cakes, even the ones sold in Baltimore, even during the peak Chesapeake crab season, use crab meat from the Gulf of Mexico or Indonesia - 100% of the time. There are zero crabbers or distributors in the Chesapeake region that separate out whole lump crab meat. No crabbers or distributors in the Chesapeake region have EVER separated out whole lump crab meat.

There is no such thing as a crab cake season.

Also, best crab cakes in town are at Faidley's. G&M and Kokos are fine, although I think Kokos is more of a whole lump giant crab imperial than a crab cake, but Faidley's is still tops. Although *warning,* Faidley's is in the ghetto and closed on Sunday. Basically, any crab cake you get in Baltimore at a quality restaurant is leaps and bounds better than in any other city in the country because the standard is so much higher here than elsewhere else restaurants have to use more and better crab meat to be competitive.

Mista T, what you are referring to as "traditional Maryland" crab cakes sound to me like what are called "Eastern Shore" crab cakes, which adds more spices and occasionally diced veggies. What you are referring to as "bland" crab cakes are typically referred to as "Baltimore" crab cakes, which focus more on the taste of quality crab meat. Both are great, but they follow two separate traditions. I think in the olden times "Eastern Shore" style were more popular down near Annapolis, but nowadays "Baltimore style" is more typical of what you'll find in an Annapolis restaurant.

Also, I agree with HoustonRaven, people: stop trying to force this guy to rent a car to go to your favorite suburban hangouts. There are plenty of great crab cakes and seafood restaurants within walking distance of the stadium.
    Last edited by Flipping Birdie; 01-09-2012 at 09:20 AM.
    "A lot" is a two word expression denoting a great deal or greatly, as in "I like sunshine a lot." "Alot" is a lovable imaginary grammar monster. You can love a lot; you can love an alot; you can love alots a lot; but they are not the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    You all are going to send this poor lad to the burbs when there are equal / better crab cakes within walking distance of the harbor?

Shame on y'all.
    My thoughts exactly.

The dude is a tourist, so let him be a tourist. Places that are familiar to all of us, yet not within walking distance of the downtown/harbor area are not really pratical suggestions. Even with a car and GPS, it is pretty easy to get lost in an unfamiliar city and end up in the wrong part of town.

If you are thinking about going to Fells Point, take a cab. Walking is a bit of a hike and through a couple of crappy blocks; driving is a parking nightmare. Frankly, I would just stay in the Harbor area and enjoy the nice things about it. If you really want to find a nice place to eat, I'm sure the hotel desk has some legitimate and practical suggestions.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by alien bird View Post
    If you are thinking about going to Fells Point, take a cab. Walking is a bit of a hike and through a couple of crappy blocks;
    That's no hike, and there's no better way to enjoy a strange city than a nice stroll. No need for a cab. You miss everything from the inside of a cab.
    "A lot" is a two word expression denoting a great deal or greatly, as in "I like sunshine a lot." "Alot" is a lovable imaginary grammar monster. You can love a lot; you can love an alot; you can love alots a lot; but they are not the same thing.

Olive Grove and G&M are overrated, food usually comes out cold and bland, skip the drive to the Burbs and stay in town.
    Plenty to do Satuday, Science Center, Inner Harbor, National Aquarium to name a few. All around the waterfront and very accessible.

If you decide to do the harbor, then grab a taxi over to Little Italy. Aldo's would be my first choice.

Quote Originally Posted by alien bird View Post
    My thoughts exactly.

The dude is a tourist, so let him be a tourist. Places that are familiar to all of us, yet not within walking distance of the downtown/harbor area are not really pratical suggestions. Even with a car and GPS, it is pretty easy to get lost in an unfamiliar city and end up in the wrong part of town.

If you are thinking about going to Fells Point, take a cab. Walking is a bit of a hike and through a couple of crappy blocks; driving is a parking nightmare. Frankly, I would just stay in the Harbor area and enjoy the nice things about it. If you really want to find a nice place to eat, I'm sure the hotel desk has some legitimate and practical suggestions.
    There are no longer any crappy blocks between the harbor and Fells, with the growth of "Harbor East" it's a nice walk.

My suggestion:
    If you are here Saturday, walk around the harbor through Harbor east to Fell's Point and bar hop/walk around. For Crab Cakes go to Thames St. like houston said, they are the best in Fells, or if you keep walking Mama's on a Half Shell in Canton serves a mean crab cake. Basically it's best to stick to a seafood specific restaurant as it will usually be fresher. For good Beer, go to Max's, Bertha's has some good Mussels, there a lot's of decent bars there with good food. The thing that's really nice about Baltimore is we have multiple culinary schools down town and not enough fancy restaurants for all the chefs to work, so there is a lot of good food at the neighborhood bars.

Sunday, walk the other way around the harbor to Federal Hill, go to the area near Cross St. Market. Lot's of bars with people pre-gaming, plus it's an easy walk across one of the two bridges to the Stadium when you are ready.

My reviews:
    Cross St Market: No where to sit, really good seafood counter service and 32 Oz beers

Mother's: Worth checking out the mayhem but a little crowded and overpriced for my tastes. They are one of the only bars open before 10 AM however and won't get crowded until after 10. They have a decent breakfast menu.

McGerk's: Best Cheese Steaks in town, other than that a pretty normal bar that will be crowded.

Now if you walk up the side st along Cross St. On the McGerk's side:
    Stalking Horse: It's a vodka bar but they have a few decent beers, and basic bar fare. It will not be too crowded and you should be able to get a seat at one of the 2 bars or a table.

Abbey Burger Bistro: This is my favorite place down there, not too crowded, the food is fantastic. They have a great selection of beers, plus alcoholic milk shakes!! To find this place go up the st past McGerk's along the side of Cross St. Market, after you pass Stalking Horse there will be a wide alley where you will see a velvet rope, that is the entrance. They don't open until 10:30 I think though, so go there for lunch.
    • Section 133 for eternity!
    • I know... The family resemblance is uncanny.
    • START WEARING PURPLE!!!!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by weezer View Post
    If you decide to do the harbor, then grab a taxi over to Little Italy. Aldo's would be my first choice.
    What in God's name do you people have against walking?! Little Italy is literally 1 block from the inner harbor. Aldo's isn't 5 blocks away from the Aquarium.
    http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=E+...sz=16&t=m&z=16

Just checked and rates at the Hilton Garden Inn on Presidents St and they are very good still.

I'd highly recommend staying there. It's right in the heart of Harbor East and a very short walk from the Harbor, Little Italy and Fells Point.

Quote Originally Posted by swoopyjp View Post
    Section 539 row 25 how's the view?
    We're coming in Saturday morning, what's cool to do in Baltimore? Is there a warf area with bars and restaurants? Where should we get crab cakes?

Thanks
    wrong questions.

Question #1: Will the Texans win?
    Answer #1: Hell no.

Question #2: Is the trip worth it?
    Answer #2: Of course, you're visiting Baltimore, a city with a wealth of people and their cultures and restaurants that sell the best of their cultural foods.

Question #3: Is there any hope for my Texans?
    Answer #3: Refer to Answer #1.

Enjoy your trip!

;)
    After 5 years of early exits, the journey is finally complete.