Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

3rd and 8, Playing against Mobile QB (think Kapernickle). Ravens go to the Nickel.

Who do you want on the field for the ravens?

I'm thinking:

Canty, Ngata, Doom

A, Brown, Mclellan, Suggs (delayed blitz)

Smith, Graham, Webb

Elam (in the box), Huff

Blog Entries

Re: 3rd and 8, Playing against Mobile QB (think Kapernickle). Ravens go to the Nickel.

I don't understand why a lot of you seem to think that Doom can play DE in a 3 man front, the dude is 5'11, he's too small to play 5 tech.

Here is what I'd do, this defense could be very multiple.

Sizzle-Canty(3 tech)-Ngata(Nose shade)-Doom

Upshaw (Blitzing usually)- A Brown (Covering TEs)

Webb and Elam in the box covering slot receivers or blitzing.

Smith and Grahame on the outside, and Huff will drop deep playing the cover 1 role.

Re: 3rd and 8, Playing against Mobile QB (think Kapernickle). Ravens go to the Nickel.

3rd and 8 would be the nickel or dime regardless of the QB.

You've got the 3 corners right and both safeties, but I would guess we'll see the Ravens return to more dime in 2013, something the presence of Ray Lewis precluded.

To that end, Ihedigbo is the logical in-the-box dime lined up next to Brown.

The 4 down linemen would likely be Suggs, Dumervil, McPhee, and 1 of Ngata/Canty/Upshaw.

I think the Ravens are going to have some really interesting choices on 3rd down with Upshaw and Simon both needing snaps to determine what they can do as pass rushers.

Important to all this is who will be the defensive signal caller. The green dot helmet really has to be in every play, which make Huff, Elam, or perhaps Brown the logical choices.

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    I don't understand why a lot of you seem to think that Doom can play DE in a 3 man front, the dude is 5'11, he's too small to play 5 tech.

Smith and Grahame on the outside, and Huff will drop deep playing the cover 1 role.
    Same here.

Not only is he 5-11, but 260 lbs...probably soaking wet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

iggyman555 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Filmstudy View Post

You've got the 3 corners right and both safeties, but I would guess we'll see the Ravens return to more dime in 2013, something the presence of Ray Lewis precluded.

The 4 down linemen would likely be Suggs, Dumervil, McPhee, and 1 of Ngata/Canty/Upshaw.

I think the Ravens are going to have some really interesting choices on 3rd down with Upshaw and Simon both needing snaps to determine what they can do as pass rushers.

Important to all this is who will be the defensive signal caller. The green dot helmet really has to be in every play, which make Huff, Elam, or perhaps Brown the logical choices.
    suggs can take on the responsibility being the green dot guy?

Terrific idea film, i thought Ihedigbo showed well in the box when he had to play last season and the Ravens still lack comfortable players in space at LB besides Brown(Although i think Bynes has some upside in that regard).

Blog Entries

Agree conceptually that this is more likely a dime package. Hell some teams will run nickle on basic downs now adays 'it's a nickle league'.

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Quote Originally Posted by iggyman555 View Post
    suggs can take on the responsibility being the green dot guy?
    He doesn't quite play every snap even when healthy. While there is no technical reason why it couldn't be Suggs and whoever replaced him, that's not the way the Ravens have done it.

McCLain and Bynes each played every snap in their weeks with the green dot while Ray was out.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post

If it's a nickel or dime it's going to be a 4 man front.

Suggs-Canty-McPhee-Upshaw

Doom - Brown

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    If it's a nickel or dime it's going to be a 4 man front.
    Thats what I'm saying which is why I'd have Doom at left DE in 4 man fronts, the poster had it as if we're going to be using a 3 man front in nickel downs.

iggyman555 Guest

He doesn't quite play every snap even when healthy. While there is no technical reason why it couldn't be Suggs and whoever replaced him, that's not the way the Ravens have done it.

McCLain and Bynes each played every snap in their weeks with the green dot while Ray was out.
    hm i wasnt aware suggs didnt play every snap when he was healthy...it looks like a safety or LB should then get it