Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
  1. Re: The Ravens approached the offense the wrong way.

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    That's what I meant. I should have clarified. There's been an ongoing debate around here about the Coryell and I just wanted to add that in there to show that it can be effective.
    And this might be part of the reason why Cam had more success in San Diego--and had a more consistent offense.
    Because the Ravens don't have that elite tight end--Dickson might have the talent but so far, he's proven too unreliable, dropping too many passes.
    And it may be that Cam doesn't trust Rice as much as he did Tomlinson, because Tomlinson was both better in pass protection and more of a power runner since he was considerably bigger and stronger than Rice.

And I think we have enough evidence that while Cam is capable of doing things differently from how he normally does them, he doesn't like being taken out of his comfort zone for long and will often/quickly revert to how he has always done them.
    He's just not amenable to long-lasting changes.

So, it could be that Cam needs that elite TE and that all-around elite RB--because that's what his preferred offense requires--neither of which the Ravens don't quite have, because Cam just can't stick with whatever adjustments he makes to compensate for very long.

And didn't the Chargers have a better O-Line than the Ravens back then? I can't remember now for sure, but I think they did. If so, then that's another key reason why Cam had more success in SD than he has had here.

Blog Entries

Re: The Ravens approached the offense the wrong way.

Quote Originally Posted by PerpetuallyBored74 View Post
    And this might be part of the reason why Cam had more success in San Diego--and had a more consistent offense.
    Because the Ravens don't have that elite tight end--Dickson might have the talent but so far, he's proven too unreliable, dropping too many passes.
    And it may be that Cam doesn't trust Rice as much as he did Tomlinson, because Tomlinson was both better in pass protection and more of a power runner since he was considerably bigger and stronger than Rice.

And I think we have enough evidence that while Cam is capable of doing things differently from how he normally does them, he doesn't like being taken out of his comfort zone for long and will often/quickly revert to how he has always done them.
    He's just not amenable to long-lasting changes.

So, it could be that Cam needs that elite TE and that all-around elite RB--because that's what his preferred offense requires--neither of which the Ravens don't quite have, because Cam just can't stick with whatever adjustments he makes to compensate for very long.

And didn't the Chargers have a better O-Line than the Ravens back then? I can't remember now for sure, but I think they did. If so, then that's another key reason why Cam had more success in SD than he has had here.
    What? Your absolutely crazy to suggest replacing RB's when Rice just got paid big time, Rice is an elite back and not many people disagree with that, he may not be quite what Tomlinson was but he is more than good enough with Pierce supporting him too, running behind the best FB in football to boot. The Chargers may have had an elite TE and a better Olie, but we have much better receivers than what Cam had and it's not even close.

3. Re: The Ravens approached the offense the wrong way.

I never said Rice should be replaced.
    I just pointed out how he doesn't fit Cam's offense as perfectly as Tomlinson did.

If anything, I'm suggesting that Cam needs to adjust the offense to better suit Rice's talents*** and stick with those adjustments rather than reverting back to how Cam prefers to do things (Cam's comfort zone).

***like for instance, running Rice to the outside more often and not sending him straight up the middle all the time. Also using Rice as an extra receiver, instead of relying on him to pass-block--you can use him to chip block, but with Vonta on this team, he should be the primary pass blocking back, which means he needs to be on the field more often too.

Speaking of Vonta, how is Flacco supposed to feel comfortable audibling to a run when a pass play is called if the best FB in the league is on the sideline?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PerpetuallyBored74 View Post
    I never said Rice should be replaced.
    I just pointed out how he doesn't fit Cam's offense as perfectly as Tomlinson did.

If anything, I'm suggesting that Cam needs to adjust the offense to better suit Rice's talents*** and stick with those adjustments rather than reverting back to how Cam prefers to do things (Cam's comfort zone).

***like for instance, running Rice to the outside more often and not sending him straight up the middle all the time. Also using Rice as an extra receiver, instead of relying on him to pass-block--you can use him to chip block, but with Vonta on this team, he should be the primary pass blocking back, which means he needs to be on the field more often too.

Speaking of Vonta, how is Flacco supposed to feel comfortable audibling to a run when a pass play is called if the best FB in the league is on the sideline?
    I really don't understand why they don't use leach in pass pro.

Blog Entries

I hope Oregon wins the national championship so they can hire Chip Kelly

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    I really don't understand why they don't use leach in pass pro.
    Maybe because he's a liability in pass protection?

Flacco is just not as good as Rivers used to be or Brees it's not that hard to figure out.

I said it in Houston, it's a mistake trying to run a hurry up no huddle with a guy who, even the staunchest coddlers will admit, struggles to process information quickly especially in the face of pressure. What did we see after the bye week? A reining in of the hurry up. It's not a mystery. It's the elephant in the room that most people don't like to admit but halfway through year 5 we have a QB who is not good enough to lead a truly prolific offense.

Quote Originally Posted by RavensNTerps View Post
    Flacco is just not as good as Rivers used to be or Brees it's not that hard to figure out.

I said it in Houston, it's a mistake trying to run a hurry up no huddle with a guy who, even the staunchest coddlers will admit, struggles to process information quickly especially in the face of pressure. What did we see after the bye week? A reining in of the hurry up. It's not a mystery. It's the elephant in the room that most people don't like to admit but halfway through year 5 we have a QB who is not good enough to lead a truly prolific offense.
    Just what do you mean by "prolific"?

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    I hope Oregon wins the national championship so they can hire Chip Kelly
    Chip Kelley would probably go to a head coaching position, I doubt he'd settle for coordinator after building a powerhouse college football program.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenalytics View Post
    Chip Kelley would probably go to a head coaching position, I doubt he'd settle for coordinator after building a powerhouse college football program.
    I'm fine with that - welcome the Ravens new head coach ready to take questions:

Attachment 1159

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Quote Originally Posted by pslholder96 View Post
    Just what do you mean by "prolific"?
    An offense that can, week in and week out, be expected to show up and perform at a high level. That is nearly impossible to acheive with average QB play, which is what we have.

Yes, even the Brady, Brees, and Mannings of the world have bad games, but in a given game you go in EXPECTING their teams to perform well on offense. With us? It's a crap shoot. Generally we do OK versus poor defenses and bad versus good ones. We are never carried about what should be expected against our opponent, or at least quite rarely. That is not on the OC at this point, I'm sorry. It's year 5.

Quote Originally Posted by RavensNTerps View Post
    An offense that can, week in and week out, be expected to show up and perform at a high level. That is nearly impossible to acheive with average QB play, which is what we have.

Yes, even the Brady, Brees, and Mannings of the world have bad games, but in a given game you go in EXPECTING their teams to perform well on offense. With us? It's a crap shoot. Generally we do OK versus poor defenses and bad versus good ones. We are never carried about what should be expected against our opponent, or at least quite rarely. That is not on the OC at this point, I'm sorry. It's year 5.
    Then by your definition I have yet to see a "prolific" offense. And yes I agree Flacco needs to step up his game. If he wants to be elite he needs to take over this offense and nudge Cam aside. Too much coddling being done in my opinon. That's why part of me wants to see what Flacco looks like without Cam on the sidelines next year. Then we will know who's holding who back.