Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Player Intros

Player Intros

We've discussed at length the potential impact of Ray's retirement for play on the field and leadership in the locker room. On the field, getting younger and faster at the MLB position should pay dividends for the defense, and, while his locker room presence is irreplaceable, the consensus is that we have leaders (in Suggs, Ngata, Flacco, and Rice) who can pick up some of the slack in the locker room.

However, a big part (IMO) of what Ray brought to the team 8 games a year was getting the crowd amped before kick off. His entrance routine became synonymous with the Ravens, he single handedly had the stadium literally rocking before a single snap.

So, my question is: how does the team handle player intros going forward? Will someone step up to ignite crowd? Will it be a team effort? Do they alternate until they find the one that has the greatest effect?

Re: Player Intros

Meh, I'm not sure it really matters. On the 4 weeks the defense comes out it will probably be Suggs coming out last. We have the best fans in the NFL, especially when it comes to creating a home-field advantage for our team. I don't think not having someone dancing during intros will change that much.

Blog Entries

When Harb came he wanted to end Ray's pregame dance but the players convinced him otherwise. Now that Ray is gone, I expect Harb to go 'no nonsense' and just be about the business. Probably minimal intros

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

I don't think player intros "amp up" the crowd for more than a few minutes anyway.

WORLD CHAMPIONS 2000 * 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    When Harb came he wanted to end Ray's pregame dance but the players convinced him otherwise. Now that Ray is gone, I expect Harb to go 'no nonsense' and just be about the business. Probably minimal intros
    Agreed.

It'll be just like it has been for any game Ray missed due to injury.

Blog Entries

Suggs will probably come out last on Defense do his arm raise with the flames and that will be about it. Nothing any different then when Ray missed the games.
    "What would you give for the man beside you?"

There was a rumor that Joe was going to come out and do the worm, while "We are the Champions" was playing.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    I think all the players would agree now. You don't fuck with a classic. Ray had his dance, and that's done.

Each guy is going to have their own signature "thing" when they get called out. If one day, we end up having another guy who so embodies the team personality that it makes sense, it'll happen organically.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ravens44 View Post
    There was a rumor that Joe was going to come out and do the worm, while "We are the Champions" was playing.
    Joe should bring 1000 dollars to each run out, as he comes out, he turns around and MAKES IT RAIN, BITCH!

I mean, 1000 dollars to a guy who eats a 10 piece McNuggets to celebrate his 120.6 million dollar deal? That's like "My change at 7011 is a penny? Eh, you can keep it"
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Blog Entries

I think it should be just the team coming out. Add to the legacy of Ray Lewis with he was the last Raven introduced.

Great ballplayer. I paid my money to watch him tackle, not to dance.

Ray's dance was cute the first 25-30 times he did it. But it became artificial over the past decade. The Baltimore crowd gets "amped up" by the appearance of the team, not Ray's made-for-TV sideshow. In my opinion, the team running out behind the guys carrying the Ravens banner, the skyrockets, and the A-10s flying over the stadium generated as much or more crowd response as Ray's dance.
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).