Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: WRs

Re: WRs

Quote Originally Posted by Mizerooskie View Post
    Absolutely. I'm not convinced he'll be a top-5 receiver in this class.
    I'd have to make that decision based upon who else was available at #32 at the time.
    The question I would ask the war room, "Which one of these X guys carries less risk?"
    "The Ravens are not taking Jimmy Smith at 26!" -- Me, the day before the 2011 Draft

"On their way to the podium, the Ravens FO is going to collectively step over my dead body and select...Breshad Perriman." -- Me, the day before the 2015 Draft

Missed it by That Much: The story of 'Get Smart' and the modern day Baltimore Ravens

@BigPlayReceiver

Random...According to Walter Football, Allen had 50 TD his senior year in HS. Not sure how many game kids play in NC HS football, but that's probably about 4 TDs/per. Crazy.

More crazy, he was all set to go to Alabama, before deciding to play with his brother at Cal.
    Frikkin Alabama.
    "The Ravens are not taking Jimmy Smith at 26!" -- Me, the day before the 2011 Draft

"On their way to the podium, the Ravens FO is going to collectively step over my dead body and select...Breshad Perriman." -- Me, the day before the 2015 Draft

Missed it by That Much: The story of 'Get Smart' and the modern day Baltimore Ravens

@BigPlayReceiver

Quote Originally Posted by BigPlayReceiver View Post
    Random...According to Walter Football, Allen had 50 TD his senior year in HS. Not sure how many game kids play in NC HS football, but that's probably about 4 TDs/per. Crazy.

More crazy, he was all set to go to Alabama, before deciding to play with his brother at Cal.
    Frikkin Alabama.
    I think "all set to go to Alabama" is an exaggeration, but his final three were Alabama, Cal, and Clemson. His commitment was rumored to be a package deal with his brother, who Alabama had no intention of taking. Both Clemson and Cal were willing to take the package deal.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BigPlayReceiver View Post
    I'd have to make that decision based upon who else was available at #32 at the time.
    The question I would ask the war room, "Which one of these X guys carries less risk?"
    You could look at it from the risk perspective but you could also look at it from the reward perspective.

Evan Silva and Russ Lande are currently exchanging thoughts on Patterson on twitter.

Silva thinks Patterson is more talented than Demaryius Thomas coming out, and similarly Thomas had route running concerns as Patterson does.

Lande says he doesn't think Patterson is more talented than Thomas was, but also that the route running issue isn't really what is turning teams off from Patterson. Apparently his interviewing (or something else perhaps) isn't going well. Which is weird because I thought he did well on the Game Changers show with Mariucci.

Apparently Patterson is up in Buffalo today.

Quote Originally Posted by bt12483 View Post
    You could look at it from the risk perspective but you could also look at it from the reward perspective.

Evan Silva and Russ Lande are currently exchanging thoughts on Patterson on twitter.

Silva thinks Patterson is more talented than Demaryius Thomas coming out, and similarly Thomas had route running concerns as Patterson does.

Lande says he doesn't think Patterson is more talented than Thomas was, but also that the route running issue isn't really what is turning teams off from Patterson. Apparently his interviewing (or something else perhaps) isn't going well. Which is weird because I thought he did well on the Game Changers show with Mariucci.

Apparently Patterson is up in Buffalo today.
    Interesting debate. I follow both guys as well. I would not have chosen DT as my comparison though.
    I recall DTs targets <<< CP targets and the talk around DT back in 2009 was how to take his relative light/brief body of work and project it to the NFL.

@BigPlayReceiver

Blog Entries

NFL Films guru Greg Cosell believes Tennessee WR Cordarrelle Patterson has "open field instincts and movement" that cannot be taught, and that there are very few players Patterson's size with his kind of ability.
    Patterson checks in at 6-foot-2, 216 pounds. There's been chatter than Patterson's raw route-running ability may knock him out of the first round, but Cosell doesn't expect it to "dramatically affect his draft status." Along with West Virginia's Tavon Austin, Cosell calls Patterson a player who made him say "wow" while watching tape. "Believe me," Cosell wrote. "That does not happen too often."

From rotoworld

NFL Films guru Greg Cosell believes Tennessee WR Cordarrelle Patterson has "open field instincts and movement" that cannot be taught, and that there are very few players Patterson's size with his kind of ability.
    Patterson checks in at 6-foot-2, 216 pounds. There's been chatter than Patterson's raw route-running ability may knock him out of the first round, but Cosell doesn't expect it to "dramatically affect his draft status." Along with West Virginia's Tavon Austin, Cosell calls Patterson a player who made him say "wow" while watching tape. "Believe me," Cosell wrote. "That does not happen too often."

From rotoworld
    I saw that, i've also heard others that said he's a guy you may have to scheme open and keep it simple to begin with until his route running catches up. When i watch him i think if i was a team in need of a true #1 to carry my offense i might have some concerns but if i need to plug him in early on and add an explosive element downfield and after the catch i'd be more open to taking the chance. If he's there at 32 i'd think Oz will be willing to take that chance when you look at his skill set and how it relates to what we need.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Carey View Post
    I saw that, i've also heard others that said he's a guy you may have to scheme open and keep it simple to begin with until his route running catches up. When i watch him i think if i was a team in need of a true #1 to carry my offense i might have some concerns but if i need to plug him in early on and add an explosive element downfield and after the catch i'd be more open to taking the chance. If he's there at 32 i'd think Oz will be willing to take that chance when you look at his skill set and how it relates to what we need.
    Hit him on a slant and watch him take it to the house.

I know he is a controversial pick because of his limited play, but I still like him.

I hope he falls to 32.

Its going to depend on what's going the reason behind the "he's falling" chatter. Smarts? Attitude? Maturity? Other?

@BigPlayReceiver

Blog Entries

Good twitter follow: JPSTATS

Targets for Austin and Patterson:

Good twitter follow: JPSTATS

Targets for Austin and Patterson:

Interesting stuff on Patterson...I haven't really watched him so going off of what others have said, I've heard a lot of stuff about him dropping a lot of balls.

Certainly doesn't look like that's the case.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

KC Joyner had an interesting ESPN Insider piece that ranked this draft's WRs by a metric that combines stats and combine measurements as follows:

Each of the top nine prospects was ranked in the following categories: age (as of the 2013 draft), height, weight, 40-yard dash time, overall yards per attempt, vertical yards per attempt, stretch vertical yards per attempt, targets per game and success rate (completion percentage with penalty pass plays included as completions).

(Note: vertical passes are aerials that travel 11 or more yards downfield; stretch verticals are thrown 20 or more yards.)

Each player's metrics are based on a tape review of a minimum of nine games against BCS-caliber competition, with the exception of Cal's Keenan Allen, who played in only seven BCS-caliber games.

The player's rankings were then tabulated on a 1-9 scale, with the best score getting a rating of 9. Each player's overall total can be found under the raw points listing.

Since some categories deserve more weight than others, this year's rankings also had the addition of a modified point structure that added a 20 percent weight to targets per game, a 30 percent weight to YPA, VYPA, SVYPA and success rate and a 50 percent weight to the 40-yard dash time. This total can be found under the modified points listing.

Each player also has a modified point listing for productivity, which includes his rankings in YPA, VYPA, SVYPA, success rate and targets per game, and for attributes, which includes the rankings for the 40-yard dash, height, weight and birth date.
    The rankings were as follows:

1. Terrance Williams, Baylor
    2. DeAndre Hopkins, Clemson
    3. Tavon Austin, WVU
    4. Stedman Bailey, WVU
    5. Robert Woods, USC
    6. Keenan Allen, Cal
    7. Markus Wheaton, Oregon State
    8. Cordarelle Patterson, Tennessee
    9. Justin Hunter, Tennessee