Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Draft blunders in recent years

Quote Originally Posted by saintmatthew View Post
    He also got a year under Bellicheat to learn other teams defensive calls.....
    No doubt.

That year also gave him time to get stronger because at the combine I think he was, at best, 210-215lbs. He was able to hit the weights, eat better, and bulk up to 225-230 while increasing his arm strength.

Even at Michigan he was intelligent, accurate, and knew how to orchestrate successful drives. He is another one that rarely cracks under pressure.

I don't like the guy, but he really is one of the greats.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    In a way that's not fair. Wilson was the 75th pick (mid-3rd round 2012), so every team passed on him at least twice. May as well say the whole league, except the Patriots, are idiots for passing up Tom Brady (6th round draft choice)... Bc
    Brady was a dodgy prospect who flourished once he got into the NFL (and got a little bit stronger). Wilson was a fantastic player from day one who was systematically undervalued because he didn't look the part. Big difference, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag View Post
    draft blunder is a subjective thing. Basically, seems to be any decision that is either poor value for the pick level, or terrible production.

if we're calling the Browns taking Richardson a blunder because they moved up to take him when they could've taken him in their original spot? You could make the same argument with Flacco.

Hell, by that logic, you could call trading a 6th round pick to the Browns to get Ngata one spot higher a blunder, because they might not have taken him, right? I think Savage said he had no plans to take Ngata, just played our fiddle to get the pick, knowing we really wanted him.
    The problem with the Browns pick of Richardson was two-fold:

1. There was really no good reason to trade additional picks away in order to draft him rather than settling for Blackmon or Barron, either of whom they could have sat tight and picked. This is a great example of how bad teams make blunders by not letting the draft come to them.

2. Picking Weeden later in the first round really yutzed everything up. Had they drafted Wilson instead, there's something to be said that nabbing Richardson earlier would have been a great move, but by picking a a pocket passer like Weeden I don't see the calculation that Richardson is that much more valuable than Blackmon.

Quote Originally Posted by trailhiker85 View Post
    Fisher and Shanahan did coach together in San Francisco with the Niners in 1992 and 1993 under head coach George Seifert. Now, did the press exaggerate this relationship and its role during trade talks last year? Quite likely, particularly given the sour-grapes comments from Mike Holmgren in the wake of the deal. Still, who knows exactly what the parties in question were saying and thinking? Maybe Cleveland simply wasn't willing to give up enough in the end. My point is they did at least make the effort.

As to why the Rams didn't just draft RGIII themselves to replace Bradford, let's be realistic. Despite his injury issues, 2012 was way too early for St. Louis to cut bait on Bradford and that massive rookie contract that has $50 million in guaranteed money alone. And they had no reason to think he couldn't still live up to his potential. One year's worth of hindsight later, they may be wishing they'd acted differently.
    Also too, the Rams didn't just "pick Bradford over RGIII," they "picked" Bradford and a boat load of additional draft choices over RGIII. You can't begin to evaluate the move at least until you see what they do with the picks they got back from Washington.

Quote Originally Posted by Brien Jackson View Post
    Also too, the Rams didn't just "pick Bradford over RGIII," they "picked" Bradford and a boat load of additional draft choices over RGIII. You can't begin to evaluate the move at least until you see what they do with the picks they got back from Washington.
    Yeah...with Bradford on board (even if you're not 100% convinced he is the long-term answer) it is near-impossible to pass up the bounty that St. Louis harvested from the Redskins in return for the 2nd pick...especially when you consider that the Rams only moved back to #6.

Blog Entries

1. There was really no good reason to trade additional picks away in order to draft him rather than settling for Blackmon or Barron, either of whom they could have sat tight and picked. This is a great example of how bad teams make blunders by not letting the draft come to them.

2. Picking Weeden later in the first round really yutzed everything up. Had they drafted Wilson instead, there's something to be said that nabbing Richardson earlier would have been a great move, but by picking a a pocket passer like Weeden I don't see the calculation that Richardson is that much more valuable than Blackmon.
    I agree 100%. (1) The Browns traded FOUR picks to move up one spot! That is classic over-paying from a team that needed (and still needs) all the draft picks it can get to upgrade their thin roster. (2) Weeden to me was a dumb pick. Yeah Cleveland you got a 28 year old QB, with little time to grow, and now in 2013 you're still in the same boat... Bc

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by steelerhater View Post
    Are you implying that losing Jimmy Smith would have been bad? The guy is a bust!
    Ah, starting your negative talk a little early this season I see. While Jimmy Smith has not yet lived up to his 1st round status, I'd hardly call him a "bust." He was injured in his rookie year, and perhaps you saw the last minute of the Super Bowl where he was productive during the 49ers last stand. He's only in his 3rd season, and will be 25 in July, so I wouldn't put that label on him just yet... Bc

actually, very much agreed. Futhermore, if Weeden was thought to be a target for them(as he obviously was) then nabbing his previous pass catcer in Blackmon might have been a better move. My point earlier was that if they HAD TO HAVE Trent Richardson, then they HAD TO trade to get him.

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    actually, very much agreed. Futhermore, if Weeden was thought to be a target for them(as he obviously was) then nabbing his previous pass catcer in Blackmon might have been a better move. My point earlier was that if they HAD TO HAVE Trent Richardson, then they HAD TO trade to get him.
    I don't know about that, as I think they probably got snookered by Minnesota on that front (I don't think Minnesota had any intention of trading down past the fourth pick and likely missing out on Kalil), but I guess it's a fair enough point. Still, that's a blunder in itself IMO, and the sort of thing that bad franchises do a lot.

Blog Entries

I don't know about that, as I think they probably got snookered by Minnesota on that front (I don't think Minnesota had any intention of trading down past the fourth pick and likely missing out on Kalil), but I guess it's a fair enough point. Still, that's a blunder in itself IMO, and the sort of thing that bad franchises do a lot.
    I agree with the "snookering." There is a precedent. The Browns traded their 1st round pick (#7) plus 2nd rounder (#37) to move up ONE spot with the Lions in the 2004 draft. They never seem to learn their lesson... Bc

If they didn't trade then TB would have found a way to get him. I will go down with the ship on that one.

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    I agree with the "snookering." There is a precedent. The Browns traded their 1st round pick (#7) plus 2nd rounder (#37) to move up ONE spot with the Lions in the 2004 draft. They never seem to learn their lesson... Bc
    Well I'm not saying it isn't sometimes necessary to get the guy you want, especially at the very top of the first round, just that I don't see Minnesota's logic here. Obviously they wanted Kalil over Blackmon/Barron, so if they trade back to five and Tampa Bay picks Richardson, now Cleveland just has them in a bind where they can deal the pick to someone else who wants to draft Kalil. So I don't think Minnesota was ever that interested in trading the pick to anyone other than Cleveland...and if they were it would have just put the Browns in an even better spot.