Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Blog Entries

OT: Maryland to the Big Ten

Is this true? Football and Basketball? Anybody have any info I'd appreciate them sharing, I got nothing down here.

PS - Mods fell free to move this where ever it needs to go.

Re: OT: Maryland to the Big Ten

Looks like it could be true.

Maryland Talking
    Will Die A Ravens Fan!!

Blog Entries

$50 million exit fee? I don't see them paying that!

Blog Entries

WOW.

After the ACC got Pitt and 'Cuse?

I mean, I could see MD going Big East or something...Big10? Weird.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    WOW.

After the ACC got Pitt and 'Cuse?

I mean, I could see MD going Big East or something...Big10? Weird.
    Its about TV money if they go. Big Ten brings in significantly more TV revenue than the ACC. Even paying the 50 million dollar exit fee (for some reason I heard 30 on the radio) they would come out well ahead over the next few years. Not to mention if the Big 10 wants them enough they could choose to pay a portion of that fee either directly or indirectly

I doubt it happens but if the Big 10 offers, Maryland would be stupid not listen at the very least. There could be advantages for them to going to the Big 10.
    “A linebacker's job is to knock out running backs, to knock out receivers, to chase the football,”
    -Ray Lewis

http://terrapinstationmd.com/2012/11...big-10-rumors/

As all of you have heard by now the Maryland Terrapins are at the center of the conference realignment conversation again.
    As first reported by InsideMDSports.com the rumors of Maryland potentially making the jump from the ACC to the Big 10 is looking more and more like a real possibility. Details on how this would all work due to the conference’s new $50 million exit fee are not yet known but at this moment there are some things we do know…
    The Board of Regents will be meeting Monday morning at 9:30 to discuss the possibility of leaving the league for more Midwestern pastures.
    Kevin Plank, CEO of Under Armour and Maryland alumnus, reportedly cashed in $65 million in Under Armour stock earlier this week.
    People in and around the Maryland athletic were less than pleased with the “sweetheart deal” that commissioner Swofford gave Notre Dame for partial membership.
    Maryland was one of two schools, FSU being the other, to vote against the raised exit fee.
    Clearly, we will know more as the week bores on but in the meantime this is where we currently stand with regard to the Big Ten news that’s swept through Terp Nation this afternoon. As more becomes available we will have all your coverage here. Also, be on the lookout for a Zone read feature with our thoughts on the potential move.
    The more I read the more likely it would seem this might happen. Lot more money and a wider national exposure for MD by moving to the Big 10. Think of it as a massive upgrade in terms of a football conference while not losing all that much in basketball (other than rivalries). Plank cashing in stock might be an indicator that their is a 50 million dollar fee but no wording that would prevent a "donor" from paying it. Plank would gladly pay the fee if it gets his foot in the Big 10 or he was given some consideration in return. Its all about the benjamins I guess. I would be excited by the move, grew up in Illinois as a Illini fan as a kid before moving here so I have some love for the Big 10. I can understand why others would not be as happy though. I do think though in a few years people would get over it
    “A linebacker's job is to knock out running backs, to knock out receivers, to chase the football,”
    -Ray Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    $50 million exit fee? I don't see them paying that!
    There are reports that the Big 10 will give UMD a $75+ million payout to come. Also those exit fees are almost always negotiated down...it will still be a large sum, but it won't be $50 million.

This is ALL about money...basically the Big Ten charges 10 cent a customer in areas not in their footprint...it jumps all the way to 70 cents for areas in their footprint.

They don't want UMD for their sports obviously...they want them for the market. Same obviously goes for Rutgers.

Not to mention time to renegotiate their TV deal comes up in 4 years.

BTW...don't be surprised if you hear FSU and maybe another team leave the ACC sometime over the next year.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    There are reports that the Big 10 will give UMD a $75+ million payout to come. Also those exit fees are almost always negotiated down...it will still be a large sum, but it won't be $50 million.

This is ALL about money...basically the Big Ten charges 10 cent a customer in areas not in their footprint...it jumps all the way to 70 cents for areas in their footprint.

They don't want UMD for their sports obviously...they want them for the market. Same obviously goes for Rutgers.

Not to mention time to renegotiate their TV deal comes up in 4 years.

BTW...don't be surprised if you hear FSU and maybe another team leave the ACC sometime over the next year.
    FSU and North Carolina would be my bet. Delany the Big 10 commissioner is a NC guy. My guess is those two markets are perfectly placed to give them good coverage down the coast. If MD takes the deal I cant really fault them. Might piss off the traditionalists initially but this is what college sports is all about now...money.
    -Ray Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenous1 View Post
    FSU and North Carolina would be my bet. Delany the Big 10 commissioner is a NC guy. My guess is those two markets are perfectly placed to give them good coverage down the coast. If MD takes the deal I cant really fault them. Might piss off the traditionalists initially but this is what college sports is all about now...money.
    Well, I meant FSU and the other team would be going to the Big 12. Those rumors likely will start up again by the time next year is over.

I think it's a pretty done deal that Rutgers will be the other team for the Big 10...this is not a move to get high quality football teams...it's a move to expand it's TV market footprint. Let's face it, if this was a move to get good football, UMD would never be on the short list.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Well, I meant FSU and the other team would be going to the Big 12. Those rumors likely will start up again by the time next year is over.

I think it's a pretty done deal that Rutgers will be the other team for the Big 10...this is not a move to get high quality football teams...it's a move to expand it's TV market footprint. Let's face it, if this was a move to get good football, UMD would never be on the short list.
    Oh I agree Rutgers and Maryland now but the end game for the Big 10 is likely 16 teams. There is already speculation they may add two more in the next couple years with targets being FSU, NC as the top two. NCST, Miami, Oaklahoma and few others have been mentioned as well.
    -Ray Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn
    This is the only explanation that makes sense to me -- when I heard this news, Maryland talking about going to the big ten, I was floored. It sounded crazy. I must be getting old, because I remember when college conferences used to make some geographical sense.

Blog Entries

I could see FSU and Va Tech jumping to another conference.

Miami, UNC, and Clemson are possibilities as well.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.