Page 16 of 333 FirstFirst ... 1415161718 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: New draft/FA/offseason thread

Regarding Jake Long: No way Miami lets him go. They'll franchise him first.

They JUST drafted what seems to be a good young QB they can build the franchise around. No way they let one of the top LT's go.

You guys can continue to speculate, and that's fine, but the reality is that this team has two options for the LT position.

1. They continue to move forward with Michael Oher and game plan accordingly to account for him being average at best.
    • While this option is not very popular, it is not something that will cause the Ravens to NOT win a Super Bowl. Several teams have won recent championships with sub-par play across their OL. It's all about scheme and match ups.

2. They draft someone.
    • They could potentially have the option of taking someone like Jake Matthews, Taylor Lewan, or Eric Fisher. However, those guys are not guarantees and sometimes the devil you know is better than the devil you don't. Furthermore, there are other positions on this team that are in worse condition than OT...namely LB.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Sure thing, but most of us are just running scenarios and such. It's just like building a Draft board.
    The Ravens (and others, I would assume) is usually accurate b/c they know who the other teams want b/c they've talked through each team's multiple "what if's".

Back to our OL, my only "want" and I've said it for about three weeks now--is to build a wall for Joe and Ray. Whether it's LT-LG-C, LG-C-RG or C-RG-RT, doesn't matter. I just want a wall behind which Ray and the new OC know that they can make 3rd and 2 most of the time...and a wall that Joe knows he can step toward when his internal alarm sounds.

Although, I will say that OL concern > LB concern, b/c divorcing Cam from Joe still doesn't produce the optimal environment in which you can evaluate him. You have to fix the other weakness...the pourous OL. There's too much money/risk at stake to do otherwise IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by BigPlayReceiver View Post

Back to our OL, my only "want" and I've said it for about three weeks now--is to build a wall for Joe and Ray..
    This is a very very good point. This makes me think that maybe Barrett Jones would be the best option. The fact that he can play anywhere and I believe he has an unbelieveable amount of potnetial. With Yanda, KO and Jones being able to play just about anywhere on the line they could build one hell of a mauler line with these 3.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Regarding Jake Long: No way Miami lets him go. They'll franchise him first.

They JUST drafted what seems to be a good young QB they can build the franchise around. No way they let one of the top LT's go.

You guys can continue to speculate, and that's fine, but the reality is that this team has two options for the LT position.

1. They continue to move forward with Michael Oher and game plan accordingly to account for him being average at best.
    • While this option is not very popular, it is not something that will cause the Ravens to NOT win a Super Bowl. Several teams have won recent championships with sub-par play across their OL. It's all about scheme and match ups.

2. They draft someone.
    • They could potentially have the option of taking someone like Jake Matthews, Taylor Lewan, or Eric Fisher. However, those guys are not guarantees and sometimes the devil you know is better than the devil you don't. Furthermore, there are other positions on this team that are in worse condition than OT...namely LB.
    The problem is that Long has been really bad this year and he has a new coach who doesn't seem to like him. I see Long ending up like Mario Williams and hitting the market. Philbin seems to have no problem getting rid of guys who don't fit his system.

The Ravens wouldn't be able to pay Long anyway. Honestly I'm not sure they should. He didn't look nearly as good last year either. Something is up with that guy.

wicked -- appreciate the effort on the mock, but I gotta correct one of the scouting reports.

DeAndre Hopkins doesn't have blazing speed. I'd be shocked if he breaks 4.5 at the combine (he'll likely be in the 4.6 range). His hands and body control are his strengths, by far.

Source: Me, a Clemson alum who's watched every single game of Hopkins' college career, and followed his high school recruiting from his junior year.

Quote Originally Posted by Mizerooskie View Post
    Source: Me, a Clemson alum who's watched every single game of Hopkins' college career, and followed his high school recruiting from his junior year.
    So what you're saying is that you have a pretty good feel for the guy...?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mizerooskie View Post
    wicked -- appreciate the effort on the mock, but I gotta correct one of the scouting reports.

DeAndre Hopkins doesn't have blazing speed. I'd be shocked if he breaks 4.5 at the combine (he'll likely be in the 4.6 range). His hands and body control are his strengths, by far.

Thanks for the insight. That is interesting, because a lot of things I've read on him claim he is a pretty speedy receiver.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Thanks for the insight. That is interesting, because a lot of things I've read on him claim he is a pretty speedy receiver.
    He looks faster because of the speedy offense that Clemson operate. He's another Kendall Wright IMO. Still a worth while prospect to look at with decent size. He's had a pretty decent QB throwing him the ball in college though, remember that.

Blog Entries

I know that it's a bit of hindsight, but Evan Mathis is still playing like a top tier guard. I was gutted when we lost out on him, imagine if we'd managed to snag him. He'd be playing for a winner instead of those chumps in Philly, we'd have had the best guard tandem in football.

Bah.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Van Cleef View Post
    I know that it's a bit of hindsight, but Evan Mathis is still playing like a top tier guard. I was gutted when we lost out on him, imagine if we'd managed to snag him. He'd be playing for a winner instead of those chumps in Philly, we'd have had the best guard tandem in football.

Bah.
    nah slick Ozzie believes in drafting low round tackles to play gaurds...:grbac:

Blog Entries

My wife's cousin goes to Alabama and the rumor around there is that Eddie Lacy and Dee Milliner are the only underclassmen thinking about entering the NFL draft.

That would mean CJ Mosley will stay for his senior year.

Crimson Tide Seniors: Barrett Jones, Damion Square, Jessie Williams, and Robert Lester.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Van Cleef View Post

Bah.
    Yea, I was really hoping he'd wind up a Raven as well.