Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Romney vs Obama?

Does anyone really think Romney has a shot? Frankly, is that really a great idea?

I don't know. I don't care for Romney and I'm not a huge fan of Obama. I think the Republican party is just a sincere joke at this point. I would have really liked to see a strong candidate go against Obama because I don't think Romney has any chance at unseating him.

Was Rick Perry, Michelle Bachman, Newt Gingrich, Rick Santorum, Mitt Romney, Herman Cain, Ron Paul, and John Huntsman really the only candidates they could come up with?

Rick Perry - bat shit crazy religious zealout.
    Michelle Bachman - bat shit crazy over-emotional woman.
    Newt Gingrich - womanizer, smart guy, hasn't been involved in politics for the better part of a decade.
    Mitt Romney - massive flip-flopper, not really a republican, out of touch with reality, good businessman.
    Rick Santorum - religious zealout, hypocrite, wasn't even a good congressman.
    John Huntsman - who? Such a small blip on the screen.
    Hermain Cain - womanizer, too many skeletons in the closet, obvious superficial pitch to minorities.
    Ron Paul - probably the best foreign policy & deficit ideals, old as dirt, really polarizing social agenda.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Re: Romney vs Obama?

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Does anyone really think Romney has a shot? Frankly, is that really a great idea?
    Yes he does. If he can make the election about Obama's record and keep it on message.

Think about this. Romney is a successful business man who understands the economy and what it takes to get people jobs.

Obama, has a record of the highest deficit ever, highest debt ever, gas prices are average of $4.00 and he has moratorium on drilling in the gulf. Real unemployment is at 19%. He signed a widely unpopular healthcare bill that no one read before signing. That's just a few things, so if Romney can make the focus on that, who do you think will sign up for more of that?

I don't know. I don't care for Romney and I'm not a huge fan of Obama. I think the Republican party is just a sincere joke at this point. I would have really liked to see a strong candidate go against Obama because I don't think Romney has any chance at unseating him.

Was Rick Perry, Michelle Bachman, Newt Gingrich, Rick Santorum, Mitt Romney, Herman Cain, Ron Paul, and John Huntsman really the only candidates they could come up with?

Rick Perry - bat shit crazy religious zealout.
    Michelle Bachman - bat shit crazy over-emotional woman.
    Newt Gingrich - womanizer, smart guy, hasn't been involved in politics for the better part of a decade.
    Mitt Romney - massive flip-flopper, not really a republican, out of touch with reality, good businessman.
    Rick Santorum - religious zealout, hypocrite, wasn't even a good congressman.
    John Huntsman - who? Such a small blip on the screen.
    Hermain Cain - womanizer, too many skeletons in the closet, obvious superficial pitch to minorities.
    Ron Paul - probably the best foreign policy & deficit ideals, old as dirt, really polarizing social agenda.
    Truly I think the choice of Palin is still killing the GOP. The GOP electorate thinks folks like Cain, Bachman, Perry et al. are actually valid candidates who could win a general election against someone like Obama. Palin has reinforced the idea amongst the GOP electorate that the greatest trait a GOP candidate should have is anger against Obama and that is all. No brains necessary. The fact that Romney wont play that game has led the GOP electorate into boredom. I expect to see a more intellectually based race in 2016 with O'Malley against a Christie or a Ryan or someone more realistic as a candidate. Obama even under difficult and really unprecedented conditions is currently easily beating Romney in the important swing states.

See Uber-Blusters thread on "Why the left fears Perry" for insight into this post-palin GOP brain drain.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Galen Sevinne; 04-04-2012 at 12:38 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    Yes he does. If he can make the election about Obama's record and keep it on message.

Think about this. Romney is a successful business man who understands the economy and what it takes to get people jobs.

Obama, has a record of the highest deficit ever, highest debt ever, gas prices are average of $4.00 and he has moratorium on drilling in the gulf. Real unemployment is at 19%. He signed a widely unpopular healthcare bill that no one read before signing. That's just a few things, so if Romney can make the focus on that, who do you think will sign up for more of that?
    The problem with Romney, that I see and hear, is that a lot of Americans don't think he has any idea of what's really going on. He's from a family that had money (Dad was a governor) and his business ventures have increased his income ten-fold. Also, he just doesn't really seem like a Republican candidate. I like the fact that he's not all "Jesus this" and "Christian that", but he just seems so moderate. I dont know, maybe that's what the country needs. I just see this election as a wash and 2016 has the potential for much better candidates like Christie, Marco Rubio, etc.

I don't care for the way Obama has handled things, but Romney doesn't seem to be much better; at least as President. Now, if he were appointed for a high position that solely deals with the economy, to me that would be a better fit.

Blog Entries

According to Rasmussen, Romney is up by 3 points and OBY is only ahead of Santorum by 3. OBY is the incumbent but Romeny should be double digits ahead with 15M still unemployed and another 15M that can only have part time jobs. It's the worse economy in 80 years and OBY is neck to neck as the polls keep going up and down. OBY was ahead last week.

As Galen said the only thing we have to get rid of him is high gas prices and I agree. So I'm hoping for $20 prices. That's the only way to beat him, that and if OBUMMER CARE is struck down which looks like a good possibility, and even if gas is $10 he has a plan with England, Japan and others to release their reserves at the same time to keep global prices the same. Then he can say - look. Prices are coming down, unemployment is decreasing, just stick with me but he still doesn't know that prices won't come down w/o more drilling. W knew this and brought prices down.

But He'll have nothing to show for 4 years as President of OBUMMER CARE is struck dow . He failed at everything but even then he'll be neck to neck with Romney with yet the SC over turning another election when its Obama v Romney,
    the election will be that close.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/latest_polls/

ps

Did you know when JFK beat Nixon there could have been a re-count. It was
    that close but Nixon didn't want to put the country thru what Gore did holding
    the election up for months, perhaps a year.

He knew Kennedy stole the election fair and square.
    Last edited by AirFlacco; 04-04-2012 at 01:21 PM.

Blog Entries

The problem with Romney, that I see and hear, is that a lot of Americans don't think he has any idea of what's really going on.
    I've heard that too, more from the media pushing the narrative "this rich old white guy is out of touch" this speech tells me he does understand what the problems are http://foxnewsinsider.com/2012/04/03...d-c-primaries/

He's from a family that had money (Dad was a governor) and his business ventures have increased his income ten-fold. Also, he just doesn't really seem like a Republican candidate. I like the fact that he's not all "Jesus this" and "Christian that", but he just seems so moderate. I dont know, maybe that's what the country needs. I just see this election as a wash and 2016 has the potential for much better candidates like Christie, Marco Rubio, etc.
    Don't you want someone who understand what it takes for businesses to be successful? Because successful businesses hire.

I was against Romney at first, but since he is virtually the nominee I wanted to find something positive. Some people say - "he has no convictions, he doesn't stand firm on anything". You know what, good, then we may have someone who isn't so committed to their ideology we can get someone in the Whitehouse who doesn't just play demagogue and we can actually search for new oil to become energy independent get the highest corporate tax rate in the world lowered to attract businesses to bring jobs back instead of saying "they don't pay their fair share?

I don't care for the way Obama has handled things, but Romney doesn't seem to be much better; at least as President.
    not much better is still better, is it not?
    Last edited by NCRAVEN; 04-04-2012 at 03:53 PM.

Blog Entries

AF -

I remember gas prices being damn high when W was in office too. In fact, they were as high or higher than they are right now in the early part of 2008. I was down in Pensacola and the gas prices down there were in the mid to high 4's and at one point breached 5/gallon.

This isn't just a Republican vs. Democrat issue.

By my understanding oil is a world commodity, so even though an American company like Exxon drills in the Persian Golf, they can still (and largely do) sell to the highest bidder, which drives the price up for everyone else. I mean, for all intents and purposes, the oil companies really do have the American government by their jewels and they know it.

The problem with continuing to drill is where does it end? They start drilling in Alaska and the Gulf of Mexico...then what next? There is supposedly a large reserve in Colorado...do they start drilling there too?

I don't necessarily believe that the government wants to decrease America's dependancy on oil. They're making far too much money off of it.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    I've heard that too, more from the media pushing the narrative "this rich old white guy is out of touch" this speech tells me he does understand what the problems are http://foxnewsinsider.com/2012/04/03...d-c-primaries/

Don't you want someone who understand what it takes for businesses to be successful? Because successful business higher.

I was against Romney at first, but since he is virtually the nominee I wanted to find something positive. Some people say - "he has no convictions, he doesn't stand firm on anything". You know what, good, then we may have someone who isn't so committed to their ideology we can get someone in the Whitehouse who just plays demagogue and we can actually search for new oil to become energy independent get the highest corporate tax rate in the world lowered to attract businesses to bring jobs back instead of saying "they don't pay their fair share?

not much better is still better, is it not?
    All valid points and to a degree I definitely agree with what you've said.

I just see Romney as a slightly more conservative democrat and considering that - for all intents and purposes - Obama is a slightly more liberal conservative, I just fail to see the distinction.

What I really want to hear and what I really want to see is a President who will force the ENTIRE Federal Government to re-evaluate the amount of money that they spend on frivilous things. Each year every commander of every military installation around the world spends up all of their money and spends money they don't have on unnecessary ventures because if they don't, they'll potentially lose some of that funding and every commander understandably states why they need more money. The problem is when you have thousands of commanders doing this exact same thing, the money goes quickly and it's spend on stupid shit.

From my own personal experience while in the Navy:
    The command I was formerly at had about 200 Sailors on it and of those 200 Sailors there were maybe 60-70 that had families, but most were single. They had a perfectly fine day care facility in a house that had been renovated about 8 years ago for all of the Sailors' kids to go to during the day when they weren't at school. Of those 70 families, maybe 50 of them had kids. At best, I'd say the population of kids between the ages of 3 and 15 on my old base was somewhere in the vicinity of maybe 25-30 kids total. It's a small base and even when fully occupied there will hardly be more than 50 kids. To top it all off, it's a remote duty location, so there are NO JOBS for any of the spouses, so most of those kids don't go to day care anyway. The last year I was at this base they were breaking ground on a $2 million dollar project to build a new day care center, which would employ potentially FIVE people and be capable of holding nearly 150 kids. This was after they spent close to $1 million on a new fire truck with a bigger ladder on it (the tallest building on that base was the bachelor housing and it was only 3 stories) and it was also after they had built a new fire house big enough to house this bigger fire truck because the one that was already on base wasn't big enough.

That's just 1 base.

I can't blame Obama entirely for the deficit and how ridiculous it's gotten because part of that is W's fault too. I just want to see a President put his foot down and tell Congress "NO" and smack the budget "experts" on the back of their head. In that regard, maybe Romney is the best candidate. I just don't think he's going to change much and I think he's a GOP 'Yes Man'.

Far too early to say.

There are a million political lifetimes between now and November.

I think NC is correct. His best shot is keeping it about Obama's record. If he stays on that message, he has a very real shot. Outside of that, it will be an uphill battle for sure.

Obama has the edge in swing states. Pay attention to those polls, not the daily approval polls, and you'll get a better sense of what's what this November.

A good web site for that is electoral-vote.com. It's ran by a teachers group so it slants left but they do a good job keeping it up to date.

Blog Entries

I just see Romney as a slightly more conservative democrat and considering that - for all intents and purposes - Obama is a slightly more liberal conservative, I just fail to see the distinction.
    I do see Romney as a moderate, but Obama is so far left he makes Hilary Clinton look like Rush Limbaugh.

[B]What I really want to hear and what I really want to see is a President who will force the ENTIRE Federal Government to re-evaluate the amount of money that they spend on frivilous things.[/B} Each year every commander of every military installation around the world spends up all of their money and spends money they don't have on unnecessary ventures because if they don't, they'll potentially lose some of that funding and every commander understandably states why they need more money. The problem is when you have thousands of commanders doing this exact same thing, the money goes quickly and it's spend on stupid shit.
    I agree, I did like Ron Paul for that. Since Obama clearly isn’t doing anything about that I have to hope Romney will. Understanding businesses can’t operate like that I can reasonably hope he does the same with the Federal government.

I can't blame Obama entirely for the deficit and how ridiculous it's gotten because part of that is W's fault too. I just want to see a President put his foot down and tell Congress "NO" and smack the budget "experts" on the back of their head. In that regard, maybe Romney is the best candidate. I just don't think he's going to change much and I think he's a GOP 'Yes Man'.
    I can’t blame Obama entirely for the deficit either, some is W’s fault. But when Obama’s recent budget comes out a $3.3 TRILLION when the Government takes in $2.1 -$2.4 trillion, that tells me (a) he doesn’t care and (b) when he accuses the republicans of not being serious about deficit reduction tells me he’s just playing politics.

If Romney is the GOP yes man than that’s good for some things i.e. they want to do away with baseline budgeting and have a balance budget amendment to the constitution.

I just don't see a Republican candidate in this cycle who can simultaneously win the primary election by appealing to hard line far right types like Trap, and then turn around and appeal to moderate conservatives like me who couldn't give a rat's ass about what Jesus would do and what happens inside women's uteruses.

There just isn't enough overlap between those two groups to drive up a candidate who can get people mobilized the way Obama did in the last election. He had people dancing in the street for crying out loud, who is going to be that excited for Mittens or Santorum other than their wives?

I think that unless we face a MAJOR political, military, or domestics crisis between now and then, Obama will carry the day simply because he's better at generating intense voter loyalty than Mitt and significantly more morally palatable than Rick for the vast majority of middle ground voters.

---
    I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?pjbzds
    My motto was always to keep swinging. Whether I was in a slump or feeling badly or having trouble off the field, the only thing to do was keep swinging. -Hank Aaron

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ActualSpamBot View Post
    I just don't see a Republican candidate in this cycle who can simultaneously win the primary election by appealing to hard line far right types like Trap, and then turn around and appeal to moderate conservatives like me who couldn't give a rat's ass about what Jesus would do and what happens inside women's uteruses.
    Help me out, the guy you described that would appeal to you out of current candidate is Romney, who is virtually the nominee. You don't think he'll appeal to the moderate conservatives?

Quote Originally Posted by ActualSpamBot View Post
    I think that unless we face a MAJOR political, military, or domestics crisis between now and then, Obama will carry the day simply because he's better at generating intense voter loyalty than Mitt and significantly more morally palatable than Rick for the vast majority of middle ground voters
    They are scheduled to need another debt limit increase before the election, that could be it...