Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dilfer Doo- Doo

Dilfer Doo- Doo

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/f...ports-football
    Wow, did you all know we'd have won 2 or 3 more SB's if we'd have kept dilfer?
    What a MORON! :hammer: :insane:

Re: Dilfer Doo- Doo

I wonder if Dilfer realizes that having a RB combo of Jason Brookins and Terry Allen is a bit different than a young and powerful Jamal Lewis.

I also wonder how he'd like Kipp Vickers as his RT.

Trent can bitch and moan all he wants. He got the extremely rare opportunity to play on the best scoring defense in the history of the NFL.

I loved the guys passion and what he did for the city and team.

What exactly has he done since he left here?

PP

You'll never hear them admit it publicly, but I think Billick and Ozzie know they made a mistake by cutting Trent loose and bringing Grbac in. He did deserve a chance to help defend our title.

That being said, this is old news and I am surprised he is still bitter about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Losac View Post
    You'll never hear them admit it publicly, but I think Billick and Ozzie know they made a mistake by cutting Trent loose and bringing Grbac in. He did deserve a chance to help defend our title. .
    My guess is that they'll admit they made a mistake by signing Grbac, but I doubt they would admit that they were wrong to think they could do better than Dilfer. In the end, had they signed Brad Johnson instead - they NEVER should have listened to Cavanaugh - I doubt anyone would care as much. Johnson would have displayed much of the same heart that Dilfer did - and he was a better QB - and we wouldn't be able to lay as much of the blame on the QB. Their heart and leadership skills are at the opposite end of the spectrum from Grbac. Not that he doesn't deserve the criticism, but Grbac's lack of heart just made his play seem that much worse. When Dilfer played poorly, you would never question is desire, but with Grbac, it just seemed like he didn't care.
    “Talk's cheap - let’s go play.” - #19, Johnny Unitas

Follow me on Twitter @ravenssalarycap

"Those guys will go to their graves swearing to God that we would have won two, three Super Bowls if they would have kept me," Dilfer said. "I'm not going to say that; I have no idea. But I sure would have liked the chance to face the challenge. I would have loved that opportunity."
    :insane:

http://www.profootball24x7.com/colum...4&view=archive

How can you bash Dilfer? The man really did manage the game well and helped lead this team to its Super Bowl win. I admit he is not the greatest QB of all time or even the best in Ravens history but there were many mistakes that happened when it came to handeling Dilfer. Overall, I won't say we would have won another championship or even came close but I don't see how you replace the spark that caused your team to do what it did. Just my opinion.

No one's bashing what he did then.

Posters are bashing him for being bitter and egotistical now.

He deserves it.
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.

It's a shame he is going public with his feelings. Nobody likes a victum. However, the Ravens gambled on Grbac and at the time they felt it was an upgrade to Trent. No one argued that point before the season. Jamal Lewis got hurt, Sercy was hurt, and as it was, we did reach the second game of the Playoffs. The price we paid after that was that we had to purge the team because of the salary cap.

Truth be told, Trent Dilfer never went on to become a full time starting quarterback after he left the Ravens. He started some games for Seattle and Cleveland, but he is at best, a second string quarterback.

I do think the Ravens handled him wrong and should have called him in and explained everything to him, instead of cutting him and having Matt Cavenaugh call him. That part, is just not right.

Quote Originally Posted by ravenwoman View Post
    I do think the Ravens handled him wrong and should have called him in and explained everything to him, instead of cutting him and having Matt Cavenaugh call him. That part, is just not right.

To be clear, they did not cut him. He was a FA and free to sign anywhere.

Whether he deserved a call when they were about to sign Grbac remains to be seen. By then, it was obvious that they were going in a different direction. What had been expressed to him or his agent up to that point has never been disclosed, but I don't believe there had been much in the way of negotiations with his agent at that point, so it's not like they were stringing him along and then pulled the rug out from under him at the last minute. He knew at that time, that they were moving in another direction.

I don't think anything good can ever come from such a situation, and I'm sure the Ravens could have handled it differently, but no matter how they handled it, there would have always been someone who would have said they handled it wrong. It was an unfortunate situation, but not decision that I can blame the Ravens for making.
    “Talk's cheap - let’s go play.” - #19, Johnny Unitas

Follow me on Twitter @ravenssalarycap

Like B-More said, Dilfer wasn't cut, he just wasn't re-signed. And there is no way that we would have gone to the Super Bowl that year with Dilfer at QB and no Jamal Lewis in the backfield, and a porous OL.

I liked Dilfer, but we were sunk in 2001 as soon as Jamal and Searcy went down. We actually had a better chance to win with Grbac than with Dilfer.

Quote Originally Posted by Losac View Post
    You'll never hear them admit it publicly, but I think Billick and Ozzie know they made a mistake by cutting Trent loose and bringing Grbac in. He did deserve a chance to help defend our title.

That being said, this is old news and I am surprised he is still bitter about it.

This is funny coming from old Baltimore Colt followers that are still bitter over a move that happened 23 years ago.
    It's a new season! It's a new day!

Quote Originally Posted by PurpleRulz View Post
    This is funny coming from old Baltimore Colt followers that are still bitter over a move that happened 23 years ago.

Cmon PR.

Apples and oranges.

PP