For the Salary Cap junkies

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/inte...ltimore-ravens

Colin Kaepernick will be one of the most dynamic players ever to appear in the Super Bowl, but did you know that at $1.2 million he actually makes less money than many starting quarterbacks? Kaepernick is for example getting paid $6.5 million less than Jets disaster Mark Sanchez. This example got us thinking. Are the playoff teams paying the most for their players? Are the best players getting paid the most? We will examine these questions in more detail over the coming days, but for now we wanted to show you how NFL teams are spending their money. What we found is that NFL salaries are about as understandable as Egyptian hieroglyphics.
    Fascinating Stuff

Blog Entries

Re: For the Salary Cap junkies

Can't believe Oakland are investing 10.9 million of their salary cap into special teams. :grbac:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    Can't believe Oakland are investing 10.9 million of their salary cap into special teams. :grbac:
    well...

Shane Lechler is a perennial Pro Bowler
    Sebastian Janikowski is...a pretty intriguing kicker. I don't think he makes the Pro Bowl as often, but can't deny his leg strength. Honestly, Oakland should just be lining him up for 65 yard FGs every drive when they play in Denver. He should be able to rock that, and what else are they really playing for?

Actually, the Raider fan uncle of my wife's commented on something on Facebook, and I think Oakland wants to get rid of Lechler, solely because they realize if they want to get better, they can't have a punter in their Top 5 or 10 salaried players.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Blog Entries

The punter and kicker shouldn't be in the top tier of our salaried players. That's just bad business.

Considering the success of some of the younger kickers out there these days, especially punters, the Raiders would do themselves a service by getting a young punter looking to make his mark and pay him league minimum for 2-3 years.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    The punter and kicker shouldn't be in the top tier of our salaried players. That's just bad business.

Considering the success of some of the younger kickers out there these days, especially punters, the Raiders would do themselves a service by getting a young punter looking to make his mark and pay him league minimum for 2-3 years.
    It's a tough line to walk...when it comes to kickers, you need a reliable one. When it comes to punters, you could say it's a little easier to give them the "Joe Maese" treatment (Play them until their rookie contracts are up, them move onto the next UDFA), but even then, a bad punter can put you in position to lose games. Koch is easily our longest tenured punter in history, having 112 games with us. #2 was Richardson with 64, #3 was Zastudil with 61. A lot of people thought we weren't going to retain him a few years ago, because he was practically a Pro Bowl punter. But we got it done. When his contract is up again, do you move onto the next guy? Or do you ride him out?

I wish they showed a breakdown of ST, I'd like to see if they are including RS or LS in those numbers.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag View Post
    It's a tough line to walk...when it comes to kickers, you need a reliable one. When it comes to punters, you could say it's a little easier to give them the "Joe Maese" treatment (Play them until their rookie contracts are up, them move onto the next UDFA), but even then, a bad punter can put you in position to lose games. Koch is easily our longest tenured punter in history, having 112 games with us. #2 was Richardson with 64, #3 was Zastudil with 61. A lot of people thought we weren't going to retain him a few years ago, because he was practically a Pro Bowl punter. But we got it done. When his contract is up again, do you move onto the next guy? Or do you ride him out?

I wish they showed a breakdown of ST, I'd like to see if they are including RS or LS in those numbers.
    What good is a kicker if they get beat so bad to where FG's don't matter? lol

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Paintballguy View Post
    What good is a kicker if they get beat so bad to where FG's don't matter? lol
    Using a site called football.player-salaries.com, I see that Janikowski's 2012 salary was 4.325 mil.

What is most interesting is they list him as the 225th highest paid player...

#224...Vonta Leach.

It makes sense, but this is such a parity driven league (usually). In 2010 and 2011, they went 8-8. So then, it made more sense to have a high valued kicker to try to put them over the top. It's not an easy decision to cut him and move on from that, especially when Janikowski isn't talking retirement or having issues making the FGs.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag View Post
    Using a site called football.player-salaries.com, I see that Janikowski's 2012 salary was 4.325 mil.

What is most interesting is they list him as the 225th highest paid player...

#224...Vonta Leach.

It makes sense, but this is such a parity driven league (usually). In 2010 and 2011, they went 8-8. So then, it made more sense to have a high valued kicker to try to put them over the top. It's not an easy decision to cut him and move on from that, especially when Janikowski isn't talking retirement or having issues making the FGs.
    This is why I want them to part ways with Leach. He costs too much, and I don't think he'll be used much going forward.

Blog Entries

Leach is a great player, and I love him, he was born to be a Raven, but fullbacks like him don't belong in Caldwells offense, and this offense needs a new direction without having to use a FB. The backs are good enough behind a very large and physical Oline that we have.

Maybe there is a chance Leach will take a pay cut and remain with the Ravens. I say that only because I don't think there's a large demand for fullbacks in free agency these days, so maybe if the Ravens make Leach a reasonable offer - but less than he's making now - no one else will match or exceed it.

I love having Leach on the team and he's got a great attitude and skills. But sadly we can't afford to pay a not-every-down player that much money.