Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Ten Things I Saw On Tape

Very good stuff guys. Thanks for the work.
    It appears our coaches aren't adapting too well, or just not adapting at all.

In the past when our receivers didn't get seperation, it was because they were old and slow.
    Now we have some fo the fastest wideouts out there except for Boldin, yet the same result in the second half.
    Strategy and creative plays help get receivers open.
    The Steelers and Patriots do it all the time.
    We have played them enough to see what works against our own great defenses of the past decade.
    Why not incorporate them into our own playbook?
    Always makes me shake my head. It is called learning.

The coaches film shows less blame should be placed on Joe and more on Cam and the receivers. It's becoming clear Cam can not come up with schemes to get receivers open. The receivers were blanketed by their dbs, and couldn't get separation.

Quote Originally Posted by JMUpurkfool View Post
    2. Very rarely did any of our receivers gain significant separation and on the occasion they did the pocket was breaking down (Throw to Pitta on a corner route in the end zone and ten yard out to Boldin on final drive). If Flacco was protected well on the Pitta throw it would have been an easy TD.
    Saw this one in live action! All I could do was shake my head.

Agree with Bufflehead, this is an annoying loss.
    My Ravens Blog: Brittany Rants About Football
    Ravens-Redskins: Dissecting the Final Drive

"The days are long. But the years are short." - John Harbaugh

Yes Torrey was definitely yanked back coming out of his break on the outside come back that was 'thrown wide' on the third down play. Disgrace the ref didn't call it. Joe had one bad throw on the final drive. The rest was just a mix of bad formating, protection, or incredibly tight coverage.

We need to find creative and easy ways to get Torrey the ball. He shouldn't have to work so hard for three catches.

Joe didn't play great but I would still give him a B minus. He had the one horrible interception. Other than that, he was forced to be perfect to even manage a completion in the second half.

I'd almost resort to flopping out there if I were a WR.

The holding and grabbing by DB's out there...in all games is crazy. Just man up, press, grab and hold.

Hell, if Sunday's game taught us anything, it's that even if the DB gets caught, the ref's aren't even calling PI...just holding/illegal contact.

Read a lot and watched a lot, plus several of you making the similar point here....the fact that Cammie continues to fail to either make proper halftime adjustments, or adjust on the fly is incredibly annoying.

However, I can actually buy that "the new mentality" (from another thread) hasn't taken root yet. If so, I hope to see a different approach in week 3. I think at this point in the season, the approach is better than the outcome (of course we all want a win). Reading between lines of Harbs' presser...he didn't like the [2nd half] approach either. I want to see a different approach b/c we have the talent to execute and succeed...but we need to be set-up for that success.

From my SGIII
    "The Ravens are not taking Jimmy Smith at 26!" -- Me, the day before the 2011 Draft

"On their way to the podium, the Ravens FO is going to collectively step over my dead body and select...Breshad Perriman." -- Me, the day before the 2015 Draft

Missed it by That Much: The story of 'Get Smart' and the modern day Baltimore Ravens

@BigPlayReceiver

Quote Originally Posted by ccoolahan14 View Post
    Not to beat a dead horse or "sound like a baby" (as Joe would say), but I just finished watching the coaches tape as well and it is REALLY hard to talk about the lack of separation among receivers without mentioning that Torrey was getting abused by DRC on nearly every play of the second half. The broadcast showed the one play where he ran a 9 route and DRC was practically taking his jersey off and never got a call, but it was like this on nearly every play. In fact, Joe went back to Torrey on a comeback on the very next play but threw significantly wide of the mark. Watching the broadcast it looked like this was just an inaccurate throw, but on the coaches tape, DRC noticeably yanks Torrey back as he is coming out of his break (something you can clearly see from a camera so zoomed out that you can see every single player's full route; how a ref 3 yards away can't see it is beyond me), and he can't get to the spot he otherwise would have been. Finally, on the game-ending 4th down play, Torrey ran a 9 route down the left sideline and was being pushed the entire 20 yards he ran before Joe threw incomplete to Rice.

I'm sure this sounds like sour grapes but after just watching the tape I needed to vent. For those with the game rewind package, I would recommend focusing on Torrey (and occasionally Jacoby) in the second half to tell me if you agree, particularly on the aforementioned plays. As far as what the Ravens can control, the route combinations are very basic in my opinion and need to be expanded. It seems that Boldin essentially runs an out, in, or seam (where he is essentially a decoy) on nearly every play, with the occasional jerk route thrown in. I would really like to see more slants and pick plays, but considering Cam's reputation, I'm not expecting change.
    Thats what I thought was happening.....so no surprise.
    Way Down South in New Orleans

Jimmy Smith worries me. he didn;t play much last year because of injury but when he did play he made big plays. i really thought he was going to be a physical shutdown cover guy but now i'm not so sure.

i haven't reviewed the caches tape on NFL rewind but it looked like upshaw had A GOOD GAME.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    They played both in the first but it looked like straight up man/press in the 2nd. They made adjustments and it was also clear they knew they could get away with grabbing the receiver all the way down field. These guys have figured out the officials and are pushing it to the brink.
    Truth

and on the other side of the coin?
    Looks like our game plan(s) were kept intact "because they were so well conceived and thought out" that we had no adjustments for the ref created playing rules.

I saw one of the strongest examples of 'ref adjustments' from Jeff Fisher's Rams last game.

One of the chippiest/nastiest going at it as close to the whistle as I've seen in a while. (and both sides of the whistle)
    (He brought Cortland Finnegan in and we know his nasty streak, he got a 15yarder on the Skins Morgan after the whistle)
    Anyway, Steven Jackson spikes the ball (no TD) gets a 15 yarder and then sits the rest of the game.
    You push the other team to the point where they lose it, but don't you dare lose it yourself or you are removed.

The point of all this, is what the refs are allowing demands that we change some things.
    Someone here mentioned FLOP. Sure, why not? if a WR is grabbed, then he should spin his body and fall... instead we just sit back and watch no separation and balls missing by 3 yards because our WR was slowed illegally and uncalled.

And what do we do? On D we play off the receiver bracket them.

All told it was good enough to get close, and the Eagles were smart adjustments enough to get just enough to steal a victory from us.

It wasn't the players, the blame lays on the coaches because the assumption has to be made that you can't do anything about the refs, that is a given, you have to adapt to the circumstances.

Harbs (he of no direct game planning) did the best he could with a time-out to chew them out, but it wasn't his responsibility to make adjustments (It is his responsibility to see that his coaches learn to do it in the future and not let that second half situation exist again).

EDIT
    @JMUpurkfool Great post! thanks
    at one point of my life I was exactly Pi years old

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by celticrob View Post
    The coaches film shows less blame should be placed on Joe and more on Cam and the receivers. It's becoming clear Cam can not come up with schemes to get receivers open. The receivers were blanketed by their dbs, and couldn't get separation.
    It's tough to get separation when you're being mugged but they did 'allow it' to happen. Sadly when there was any resistance (called back TD pass) the offense got flagged so I'm not sure what the answers are. It's clear that the officials are struggling with pass protection rules at the NFL level and the players are taking full advantage of it.

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Quote Originally Posted by Section 502 Raven View Post
    Jimmy Smith worries me. he didn;t play much last year because of injury but when he did play he made big plays. i really thought he was going to be a physical shutdown cover guy but now i'm not so sure.
    In JimCary, we have two cats with above average length (a good counter to smaller, quicker guys like PHI's WRs). Jimmy has better feet than Cary, but both guys should be pressing as much as possible.

Pees obviously knows this, but even if he doesn't trust them to do so successfully (based upon what he's seen to-date maybe *shrug*), he should bring them up to press a hell of a lot more, and aggressively, until these clown refs decide that they are going to call ICs/DPIs with some consistency.